Outer Worlds - Video Game with confirmed Ace character!

Skywolf

In case anyone doesn't know, the phenomenal game Outer Worlds (by the makers of some Fallout games) has a companion character named Parvati who is pretty canonically asexual! She seems to be homo-romantic and sex-repulsed, and is part of an adorable romantic subplot of the game that you can find if you're nice enough to her. 😁

Oh, that sounds interesting.

Have you seen this interview with one of the creators, who admits to being ace and bi?

From

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2019/10/31/20940494/the-outer-worlds-parvati-companion-quest-writers

(they gave a spoiler warning because they discuss the character's arc in the game, but this part's not a spoiler)

...I felt really lucky to inherit her as a character. It was almost like kismet just, because ... it’s really weird to out myself to all of video games, but I am an asexual woman. I’m also bi, so to inherit this character and be like, “Wow, I can speak directly to her experience.” It felt like a gift in a way, and I was really excited to sort of bring that personal experience to the audience...

The one time I'd actually be interested in seeing some kind of PC/NPC romance in the story due to the fact it would actually represent and mirror me in a way and actually looks like it could develop naturally and not feel shoehorned in like so many games seem to do nowadays... aaaand it's a game that doesn't have any.  Typical.

It is still a good game though, if the idea of a sci-fi take on a blend of the gameplay of Fallout 3/NV/4 with some of the prettiness of Skyrim appeals to you.

• 3 weeks later...
AceMissBehaving

I started playing the game this week and loving it so far. Pravati would have been my favorite character even if she wasn’t ace.

While like @Philip027 there is no PC/NPC romantic subplot, getting to talk with her about some of the struggles she’s faced, and having the opportunity to come out as ace yourself to the character felt really significant. 

The worlds are gorgeous too, and I love the dynamics of the crew. 

Apparently a patch has just rolled out to address the microscopic text issue (among a few other things), which was honestly my biggest gripe with this game, especially after trying out Pokemon Sw/Sh which, despite its many flaws, actually does get the size of its text right.

Why do games keep releasing with text so small I have to squint to read it?  You'd think they would learn eventually...

AceMissBehaving
22 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Apparently a patch has just rolled out to address the microscopic text issue (among a few other things), which was honestly my biggest gripe with this game, especially after trying out Pokemon Sw/Sh which, despite its many flaws, actually does get the size of its text right.

Why do games keep releasing with text so small I have to squint to read it?  You'd think they would learn eventually...

Oh really!!!!!??? I was going to book an eye appointment today because I thought it was just me struggling so hard to read it. I’ll see about downloading that patch today, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Okay i need to play this now!

Oh really!!!!!??? I was going to book an eye appointment today because I thought it was just me struggling so hard to read it. I’ll see about downloading that patch today, THANK YOU!!!!!!

There were definitely people noticing and complaining.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/25/20932018/outer-worlds-font-text-size-too-small

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-outer-worlds-seriously-needs-some-accessibility-options-patched-it.149179/

http://www.guidefall.com/the-outer-worlds-text-size-change-adjust/

I think the only reason it wasn't a bigger issue is because most people probably play this on PC, where it's a bit more "normal" to be sitting right up close to your monitor as opposed to a typical gaming console + TV, and this is likely the sort of conditions where the game was constructed/tested too.  But IMO, if you're going to release your product on multiple platforms, you gotta take into account all of the sorts of conditions people might typically play using those platforms and make sure the product is actually accessible on all those platforms.

So many games botch the whole text/subtitle size thing though that it makes it difficult to call out this game specifically for it.  I hear the latest God of War title, while being a very well received game in its own right, also suffered from this same problem.

AceMissBehaving
9 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

Okay i need to play this now!

Yes!

Archived