Why aren't Americans rioting in the streets?

RoseGoesToYale

2 hours ago, daveb said:

The 1st amendment of the US Constitution does include the right to assemble peaceably. Freedom of speech would cover the freedom to express disapproval, which many people do all the time. Riots and violence are not considered civil rights under this.

Bah.

They violate that amendment every day!

Politicians make hateful comments about muslims, atheists, pagans and other religions to the point where they go into hiding, then they use alexa, siri, and google to sniff out information and let corporations kill or imprision whoever they want including strikers, protestors, and journalists.

I doubt if alexa and siri are implicated in corporations killing protestors.   And some of what you claim is true in the US to some extent, but certainly not to the extent that you imply.

America is not  Europe.  We're very different from any Western European (or Eastern European) country -- how different could probably not be appreciated unless you'd been a resident of both.  We're essentially a huge island who's certain we're safe from invasion, we're an immigrant country who's also an anti-immigrant country, we think we're better than any country in the world.  None of that militates toward riots.  

Basically, the world is in a shitty limbo state due to neoliberals trying to hang on to power by any means necessary, while the masses are this close to realizing that neoliberalism is unsustainable.

I think there will be unrest in the future as more and more "middle class" jobs disappear because of neoliberalism.

12 hours ago, Sinking_In said:

As an American, I like to say we love to complain, we love to blame others, but we love our comfy chairs and televisions much more.

But not all Americans. Most of them are very nice. But i think it’s a different point of view when someone lives in America. When i was in Florida, most of the people i’ve met were very nice and kind. Yes of course there’s might be many Americans who are rude and love to complain and blame others. But i don’t believe that everyone in America is like that. Cause everyone in Europe could be like that too. I’ve experienced it myself.

A lot of us have things to do that we feel are more important, and we also say that things easily get blown out of proportion by the media.

Imposing violence on people and their property, or restricting their freedom of movement by blocking streets, etc. would make us no better than the oppressive government. No matter how bad things got, I don't think I could take it out on innocent people.

@Cocothecoconut I should have clarified "politically speaking", but your observation regarding Europeans, well, deep down, people are the same types all over the world, really, if you can catch them just being themselves. 

14 hours ago, Sinking_In said:

@Cocothecoconut I should have clarified "politically speaking", but your observation regarding Europeans, well, deep down, people are the same types all over the world, really, if you can catch them just being themselves. 

I 1000 % agree with you. 

PS: Sorry that i misunderstood your comment. But you know i don’t really read news or are into politics, soo... But i still agree with what you really meant.

DarkStormyKnight

People would rather tweet about how mad they are than actually demonstrate it. Social media killed the revolution imo.

SorryNotSorry
On 11/1/2019 at 10:58 AM, AceMissBehaving said:

Honestly, fear. We have a militarized police force who are allowed to murder civilians minding their own business, with no to minimal repercussions, you couple that with the gun violence problem and divisive political tribalism and it’s hard to see any outcome other than a bloodbath.

^This.^

Plus networks of neighborhood curmudgeons who hate everything and think despotism is the greatest thing ever.

• 7 months later...
On 11/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, Still said:

Basically, the world is in a shitty limbo state due to neoliberals trying to hang on to power by any means necessary, while the masses are this close to realizing that neoliberalism is unsustainable.

I think there will be unrest in the future as more and more "middle class" jobs disappear because of neoliberalism.

https://theintercept.com/2020/06/05/pentagon-war-game-gen-z/

Once again, I've been proven correct.

RoseGoesToYale

Whoa, this thread aged interestingly... 😅

Normally a thread like this would be Necrolocked, however I feel that it is more relevant now than when it was created, so this can carry on. Sky 

RoseGoesToYale
On 11/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

What I'm talking about is people who feel so stripped of respect and human needs by their government that they go out, storm government buildings, block entire streets, set things on fire, break government property, and cause chaos like they got nothing to lose.

So... now that we're rioting in the streets... thoughts?

I think for communities of color, these past three months were the perfect storm of having nothing more to lose (as well as white allies). People being let go from work because of Rona, Rona disproportionately afflicting/killing black Americans, and a spate of police brutality incidents. Add to that the wildly swinging tilt-a-whirl response to each of these problems by the federal government.

I'm wondering if we'll see any riots go down because of this year's election.

47 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

So... now that we're rioting in the streets... thoughts?

My thoughts are that there isn't much rioting going on, but something better, mostly peaceful protests with all sorts of people participating, because people are tired of things like injustice and want real change and improvements. I don't see any need or excuse for violence or destruction (whether it comes from general citizens or police).

It did seem quite interesting that half a year later and the thing you predicted basically came true.

Seems pretty obvious that BLM is only the beginning. The fact that the US government is actively preparing for unrest from younger generations means that, as I predicted, they know shit's going to hit the fan when the middle class jobs truly start disappearing, probably even faster because of the pandemic. People will finally be brought to their breaking point because of the gulf of inequality created by forty years of neoliberalism.

There have been riots, maybe just not as covered by media as they are in other countries. My town had curfew at night due to the riots for a week and in my friend's town they've had a curfew for three months due to the virus and the riots.

Archived