How long do you steep your tea?

Barbio

For a single cup of tea, how long do you let your teabag steep for?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. For a single cup of tea, how long do you let your teabag steep for?

• Less than 2 minutes
    • 2-3 minutes
    • 3-4 minutes
    • 4-5 minutes
    • 6-7 minutes
    • It varies
    • I don't drink tea

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes is my magic number. Perfect cup every time. -w-

i don't know, kind of forever i guess. with tea bags, i just put them in the water for whatever amount of time and keep it in as i drink.

It depends on the kind of tea. Normally I don't drink single cups of tea.

It depends on when I remember to pull the tea bag out if a single cup. If its in a tea kettle I leave the tea bag in to make the tea stronger when I want a refill. 

Fraggle Underdark

Way too long

I don't drink tea.  But my partner would say it depends on the tea.

RoseGoesToYale

I aim for 4-5, but for some reason I always forget about and wind up steeping it for like 10, and then I drink it anyway.

RoseGoesToYale
25 minutes ago, pook said:

i like cold tea steeped for 0 seconds

Celestial Seasonings Eau de Water? :P

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Stronger the tea, the better.

everywhere and nowhere

It depends on which kind! I have seen a few black teas which are reasy in ca. 15 seconds. On the opposite pole there are some herbal teas, particularly the one I always drink after dinner - peppermint fortified with peppermint oil, which I like best when it's steeped for ca. 20 minutes. It has an amazingly intense aroma and also taste.

What further depends on this is how much hot water I use for each tea. I can't drink anything warmer than approximately 60 degrees (Celsius, of course; the Fahrenheit system is idiotic and while I know what are feet or inches, I have next to no clue about Fahrenheit degrees), so I always keep a jug with cooled down boiled water in my kitchen. If I brew something which is ready very soon, I brew half a glass and add that room-temperature water. If I plan to brew something longer, I pour a whole glass of hot water.

By the way, an example of my teamania: I never drink the same tea more than once daily. My personal best is probably 20 glasses of different teas in one day.

However, nobody likes everything. I absolutely love tea, and particularly - trying all the new flavours I can find - but I hate coffee and alcohol. In case of coffee it's just a strong dislike for its taste, in case of alcohol - both ultra-strong dislike for the taste and ideological and esthetic contempt...

Usually 8 minutes or more. I also leave the tea in the pot if I'm making a pot.

Only a minute or two, I don't like too much tannin as it makes the tea bitter

It depends on what kind but I generally like my tea quite strong

I put the teabag in my mug of water, and then forget about it and come back a half hour+ later.

(I also keep it in while I'm drinking.)

Green: no more than 2 minutes, or it starts to taste like grass.

Black: 3-5

Herbal: 6+

Depends. Usually around 2-3 minutes or until it's cooled down a bit/I forget about the cup of tea next to me for the next half hour

I use loose leaf not tea bags so can't complete the vote. Generally brew 4 or so minutes.

Don't like cup in a cup tea, usually tend to drink in pots. I give it a good stir and then drink it. Even in the morning I just go for the half pot option with 1 tea bag. 

At work, I do drink flavoured tea which I do leave the tea bag in until I get no distractions to drink it or when I can see the teaie goodness has spread through the cup

I always make tea in a pot whether loose leaf or tea bag.  I am very impatient so stir the tea rather than leaving it to brew.  Most tea will be strong enough for me in a couple of minutes with a good stir.

paralibrarian

i use loose tea and steep it for ungodly amounts of time. I really like strong tea.

I don't drink tea. And yet I felt oddly compelled to vote on this poll.

DarkStormyKnight

People are going to hate me but I leave the tea bag in as I drink and then I refill that sucker with hot water at least 2 more times. So forever.

Around 4 or 5 minutes. I know certain teas are supposed to be for certain amount of times (like green for less), but I forget usually and just stick to this. I like it somewhat strong. Sometimes I either forget about it and come back to it much later (it could be hours), or I just let it steep while I make a meal. My meals usually take longer than 4-5 minutes.

fooledbysecrecy

where's the option for 'until i finish drinking it'? :P 

if i drink tea i like it strong as hell and keep the teabag in. i also push it around with a spoon to squeeze every last bit out of it. might be considered blasphemous especially in the uk but hey.

Depends on the tea. I drink a lot of Lady Grey (teabag), and I find that the flavour can be too overpowering if I steep it for longer than about a minute (same for green tea, which goes quite bitter if left too long). I also have a really nice oolong blend (leaf), which needs at least 3 mins (less than that and it's pretty flavourless), but is still perfectly good after 3 brews (even if one of those was a 30 min steeping - I'm terrible for forgetting I've got tea in the pot! (Even managed to leave it overnight once...)).

Archived