Cambridgeshire live — Myth-busting asexuality: Being asexual in Cambridgeshire

Homer

Asexuality, aromantic, demisexual and ace: one or all of these terms may be new to you.

Asexual Awareness Week 22-28 October put a spotlight on one of the lesser-seen groups within the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex and Asexual (LGBTQIA+) acronym. 

To help demystify these terms Cambridgeshire’s own Cici Carey-Stuart has spoken out about xir experience of being asexual.

Oct 30, 2019 — https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/asexual-awareness-lgbt-myth-busting-17160264

This article confused me and I am well versed in the complications of the asexual community.

They say aces like and have sex, then say we just dont want sex. Then they say they lack sexual desire, while saying they are demi and very much want sex to be part of their lives one day. They say don't ask about sex and feelings on it, but also to ask questions and learn (when asexuality is about feelings around sex). 

If that one confused me, I bet it will confuse those who don't know what grey, demi, asexual, umbrella etc are and read it trying to learn about it all. 

This article did a poor job of explaining asexuality and overall is not going to help too much. The use of neopronouns also knocks the validity of the article down quite a few pegs for new people. Xe/XIr would likely not be taken seriously for that. (Keep in mind that neopronouns are generally frowned upon for many and I'm not saying this to invalidate the person themselves. Or xirself??? I don't really care for neopronouns as they make things kinda difficult but I understand why their used.)

I'm relieved to find that I'm not the only one to think that this is a terrible article when it comes to "demystification".

Archived