Does cilantro taste like green soap to you?

Captain_Tass

Does cilantro taste like green soap to you?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Taste of cilantro = taste of green soap?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure / Never tried cilantro

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, R_1 said:

The bigger question is why would you taste soap in the first place? It doesn't taste very good, and I'm not interested into finding out the taste of whatever green soap would be.

who hasn't gotten soap in their mouth washing their face before? maybe it's just me,  but I tasted plenty of soap in my time. and no, I don't think cilantro tastes anything like it 

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Nits I will pick:  1)  different soaps have different smells, and 2) the smells and tastes of some things can be quite dissimilar, viz. camembert cheese.  

I'm not trying to prove that it is soap, Sally, just explain why I can best describe it as soap. Stop grasping at straws to take me down a peg. 

Meh doesn’t taste like green soap but it’s not my favorite. I don’t mind it in sandwiches though.

• 1 month later...
everywhere and nowhere

By the way, I just remembered something else which tastes like soap. I'm a vegetarian and I really like legumes, particularly lentils because they are the easiest to cook. I particularly like red and yellow lentils, also black ones, green and brown not so much, but I eat them too sometimes... And at some point I read that there are also white lentils. I immediately bought a bag from some Indian company because I wanted to try them. I appreciate the visual aspect of food, for example my summer vegetable stew should include yellow and green zucchini, yellow and green string-beans, red and orange tomatoes; I was also a bit crazy about trying non-orange carrots (last autumn I finally managed to buy them); I also like combining, for example, wheat (cream-coloured), maize (yellow) and wholemeal (brown) pasta... So when buying white lentils, I also thought about, perhaps, managing to find those almost-white tomatoes and making a white version of one of my favourite summer dishes (recipe 100% mine), carrot and orange tomatoes risotto.

And these white lentils looked less like lentils, more like... white maize or something... (By the way, I don't really like maize as full grains and non-yellow maize products are rare in Poland anyway. I'd love to try red polenta, but it's not available here.) It needed to be soaked (unlike most lentils, which just need 20-40 minutes cooking without any soaking and they're good to go), and after soaking the water looked kinda soapy and cooked lentils, too, remained not exactly soft and had something soapy about them... :(

everywhere and nowhere

By the way, I have a little question related to my previos post. It's because of my imperfect English knowledge, so I will call two things with names more literally translated from Polish.

These are corn groats (kasza kukurydziana):

cpx_1045f71d7e7f1febc3106184d3def83e.jpg

This can be used to make polenta, for example.

And this is corn flour (mąka kukurydziana):

fot-andreygorulko-gettyimages-841012348-

It's not really suited for polenta, rather for baking.

Now, the question is: which of these two products does the word "cornmeal" really refer to? I'm asking because, as I wrote, neither flour non groats made of non-yellow maize are available in Poland. But when I search in English, I also can't find "red polenta", only "red cornmeal". And what I'd like to buy are groats, not flour...

Janus the Fox

Never seen that on the market here but it’s part of the Coriander herb for which is nice if done well with a few vegetable dishes. :)

Neutral Charge
On 10/31/2019 at 9:45 PM, Nima said:

who hasn't gotten soap in their mouth washing their face before? maybe it's just me,  but I tasted plenty of soap in my time. and no, I don't think cilantro tastes anything like it 

There is a gene that dictates coriander will taste soapy, i have it and it does,  never knew why till i did DNA testing 

I said yes, but really Idk what it tastes like but I definitely notice it and don't quite like it. My mom actually DESPISES it, but she doesn't think it's a soapy taste either, I asked since I've seen this brought up in others places and was curious and she was given soap in the mouth once growing up.

Also fun fact, did anyone else have Brain Age 2 on the DS where the avatar guy/creator/thing/idk says he hates cilantro?  Because I had that game before my mom or me tried it and I always found that funny that he had to include that in the game. XD

It doesn't taste like soap to me (and is typically called cilantro, at least by the people I know). I like it, at least in small quantities, and I actually really like kale - but I tend to like a lot of things that other people say are bitter or sour and dislike very sweet things, so that's probably just down to my taste buds.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:25 AM, Nowhere Girl said:

By the way, I have a little question related to my previos post. It's because of my imperfect English knowledge, so I will call two things with names more literally translated from Polish.

These are corn groats (kasza kukurydziana):

cpx_1045f71d7e7f1febc3106184d3def83e.jpg

This can be used to make polenta, for example.

And this is corn flour (mąka kukurydziana):

fot-andreygorulko-gettyimages-841012348-

It's not really suited for polenta, rather for baking.

Now, the question is: which of these two products does the word "cornmeal" really refer to? I'm asking because, as I wrote, neither flour non groats made of non-yellow maize are available in Poland. But when I search in English, I also can't find "red polenta", only "red cornmeal". And what I'd like to buy are groats, not flour...

The second one is cornmeal. Cornmeal and corn flour are basically the same thing, too, except that cornmeal is more coarsely ground and corn flour is finely ground - but around where I live, at least, most people say cornmeal for all of it, and get corn flour confused with masa/masa harina (which is a very specific kind of corn flour made in a different way).  So chances are, if you find something that says it's cornmeal, it'll be a lot like that picture or possibly more coarsely ground.

I was actually talking about this with a few friends of mine! It's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. I, personally, really love cilantro and would hate to have it taste like soap. 🤢

• 3 weeks later...
dragonfire42

It tastes disgusting to me, but not like soap. More like a spicy, vaguely metallic dirt.

Not sure, it's not really a spice I work with. I've tried the dried stuff in very small amounts and that was ok but the dishes contained so many flavours the cilantro kinda disappeared.

• 9 months later...

@Life Of Tass

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived