iff

how to deal with trick or treaters  

83 members have voted

1. 1. how to deal with trick or treaters

• Get lots of candy and give them plenty
    • hide in a back room with lights off, hoping no one rings the door bell
    • leave a box of sweets outside with a note, not to ring the door
    • eat all the sweets in advance
    • answer the door and when they ask for sweets, tell them no and give them toothbrushes instead
    • open the door and then close it promptly when you realised that they were trick or treaters
    • just don't answer the door anyway every other day so keep this up
    • go out elsewhere so you are not at home
    • go trick or treaters with own children
    • do nothing
    • i object to this poll because you forgot ___________________________

This poll is closed to new votes

ok, i was consulting a work colleague on this as this is my first year living on my own

In my neighborhood there is a neighborhood website and I think they have a thing where you can sign up to say if you're giving out candy. At least the last couple of years I kept my front lights off and no one came to my door, even though there are plenty of kids in my neighborhood.

The apartment complex I live in is gated so trick or treaters can't come in anyway, otherwise I just keep the lights off and don't answer the door.

Anthracite_Impreza

We've never answered; over the years they've mostly learnt not to bother.

RoseGoesToYale

I never answer the door unless I'm expecting someone, so, shut it shall stay and up go the blackout curtains.

I set up an area outside on the carport so the dog and the cats don't get upset. I give out lots of candy and other non-candy treats and tell everyone to have fun! I love the kids and the parents and the teens who come around, and look forward to Halloween every year. 👻

I'm never back in time for trick or treaters so it's a moot problem, but if I know I might be around, I tend to buy some sweets just in case there's any late ones. I liked trick or treating as a kid so I'm happy to pass the joy on to small children now I'm an adult.

In my part of town, we haven't gotten too many in recent years, even with the house covered in decorations. It's kind of odd because at the last few block parties, there have been a bunch of kids that I swear I've never seen. Though I guess they could be visiting or something.

We still give trick-or-treaters candy when they show up, but usually, we end up eating most of it ourselves. I don't know what else to say... and I do realize that this isn't exactly answering the question. I just felt like rambling.

I switch my doorbell off and don't give a crap.

Sometimes, my family would give out candy on Halloween.

However, some neighborhoods don't have trick-or-treating door to door, anymore, perhaps, due to not wanting kids to walk or being concerned about stranger danger.

For example, the local town/city set up events in parks or at the library, where parents can take their kids to get candy and schools have "trunk-or-treating," where locals drive to the school parking lot and give out candy from their vehicle. So, even if you have lights on and Halloween decorations, kids won't show up.

I'm glad I got to experience trick-or-treating, door to door, as a kid. It was fun, being able to do that without parents, and seeing others' Halloween decorations/lights.

I enjoy handing out candy and seeing the kids and sometimes even parents in costumes. I wear a costume myself. This year I’m dressing up as a mad scientist. Some people think I’m Einstein. I wore this costume for a contest another year and won first prize.

If I was living in more of a suburban-style neighborhood, I'd definitely have lots of candy ready and give it to trick or treaters :)

As is, I live in an apartment complex they won't be able to get into... not that we really have a lot of kids around here anyway. (Second lowest US city in number of households with kids)

I always have pupils arriving unless it falls on a weekend, so I have to answer the door.  It is a nuisance to be interrupted by trick or treaters, and they make the dog hysterical, so I put up a horrible poster on the front door ordering them not to knock (or ring).

Alejandrogynous

We don't get as many trick 'r treaters as you'd think for a suburb, but I usually leave a bowl of candy on the front step with a sign. And occasionally lurk at the window to scare kids who try to take too many.

I object to this poll because you forgot: Living out in the countryside where no one would ever come trick-or-treating, even if that was something that was done in my country, which it generally isn't since halloween is very minor here and only really shows up as an american thing half imported.

I'm sorry but you gave us outsiders a funny option so I had to object x)

I go out so I don't have to answer the door. 

Lord Jade Cross

Im a cosplayer and just love dressing up so Halloween, or any day I get to put something on, is always a good day for me.

As for trick or treaters, kids only came around twice (its not a neighborhood full of kids, plus theres recurrent shootings so I dont think anyone wants theor kid out at night or to stumble upon a dead body as I have). The last time they came, I dressed up as Jigsaw, with the full suit and everything and sat at the entrance of my house as still as I could.

A couple of kids came and they were too scared to grab the candy so the parents took it. Never heard from them again 😅

My family hates Halloween so we usually put up a sign saying we're not home so we can't hand out candy, then we go out and eat at a restaurant or something until it's late.

Problem solved.

Twisted Tempest

I don't actually get trick or treaters, since my residence is closed off to anyone without a keycard. 

I feel so sad that since I've been living in apartments (or abroad where they don't trick-or-treat 😔) no one comes anymore. I'm not a fan of kids but I love Halloween and miss passing out candy when I lived at home. I also got sad when it was slowly dying and we got less trick-or-treaters. My parents tell me about how many kids they get each year. 

I just let my dogs scare them off.

Nothing is scarier than 5 dogs, a dark and densely wooded driveway with hardly any light scares away most people.

Custard Cream

Go out for dinner the minute I get home and don't go back until late.

AceMissBehaving

My fella bought in so much candy, we better get an army of trick or treaters this year

I have stocked up on sweets incase I forget to turn off my lights ;)

If only marina was playing dublin tomorrow night, not tonight :😁😁

everywhere and nowhere

What about the answer "children don't go trick-or-treating in my area"?

Here Halloween is an artificial American holiday and any celebration is reduced to just pumpkins, dressing up, scary decorations... no trick-or-treats, fortunately.

Only put up decorations if you have enough sweets for trick or treaters / are prepared to give out sweets.

In my old place there was a rule that if the house was up for trick or treaters then they would put up decorations, or at least a pumpkin or something. So only the houses that were decorated got visited. It was nice because the old people didn’t get disturbed, and some of the houses would have low-key competitions for the best decorations 😊

I voted "do nothing" because we'll both be at work during the trick-or-treating time this year.  Otherwise, I wouldn't mind handing out candy, though we don't have any decorations up that are Halloween-related to attract Trick-or-Treaters

in the past i've turned off all the lights and just hung out by myself. but this year i got loads of candy to hand out to the lil kiddies that come by

Archived