What Religion are you

iff

What is your religious identity  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Religious identity

• Protestant
    • Roman Catholic
    • Mormon
    • Orthodox (such as Greek or Russian Orthodox)
    • Other Christian denomination
    • Jewish
    • Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Nothing in particular
    • Pantheist or Panentheist
    • Unitarian Universalist
    • Wiccan
    • Other Pagan
    • Other non-religious
    • other religious
    • Unsure
    • Sikh

This poll is closed to new votes

If i'm asked about my religion ,i always say that i'm orthodox (i'm Slavic),but personally i'm more agnostic.But since this question is asking about my religion,i replied orthodox.

5 hours ago, Gatto said:

Could you explain how this links into the question? 

Well, it's about theodicy. Also, I like David Byrne. Did you know he grew up in a Quaker family? I don't think he identifies as such; he wrote about it when his mother died. But the influence is yet there.

I daresay I can think of no rock star (if you want to call him that) with a better sense of humor and irony, yet in any case that I can tell, without the mean-spiritedness that so often accompanies humor. Not, of course, that he mightn't offend someone here or there, but there's no pleasing everyone.

https://davidbyrne.typepad.com/db/page/29/

• 2 weeks later...

Atheist if I had to chose something (which I did want to do here lol)

It just isn't important to me

Atheist - but not trying to convince anyone off their beliefs as long as they don't try to be missionary on me.

This probably would be different if I lived somewhere where more extreme/cult-like forms of religions were common - because that usually ends up hurting people in one way or/and the other. 

Note to self - maybe in a future poll to also have a question about what religion you were raised in and a third, on whether it has changed

Christian albeit a struggling weak one.

I don't like denominations. I feel they divide the church too much. I have a lot of anger, mistrust, and bitterness towards the church and God... I struggled with it for years. But I finally just chose to be Christian because I don't have anything else to hope for. With God I have a purpose and hope for something better. Plus it's all I really know...

• 2 months later...

I'm currently agnostic, but I do consider myself Taoist, at least in the philosophical aspect. But I'm looking into Zen Buddhism because Zen borrowed a lot from Taoism. I was raised Christian, but de-converted (for reasons I won't go into). 

Interference

eh, my belief on god is "they are incomprehensible for us humans and we cant come close to understanding them, but i believe they exist because there's way too many weird stuff happening to just be accidental", so sorta agnostic. i was born raised and lived in a christian family though. i also practice witchcraft every now and then. all in all, quite the mix for me.

Atheist. I was baptised on Evangelical Lutheran Church as a baby but I never felt strong perspnal connection to any religious beliefs (even if I tried) and I officially resigned as an adult.

Anyhow, Finnish mythologies and beliefs attract me, even if they don't have religious/theistic meaning to me.

Apologizes if I use wrong terms here, religious vocabulary isn't my strongest point in English ^^'

On 10/27/2019 at 8:20 PM, LeChat said:

Hmm, I'm kind of confused by what the difference is between the options of "atheism," "other non-religious," and "nothing in particular."

I guess I'd be considered an atheist, but I don't really use that label or have situations where I need to tell anyone in real life, so, in my daily life, I just don't think about it; I don't have a religion, I wasn't brought up with a religion, so I really just think of it as "I'm not religious."

I never considered myself atheist (in fact, I didn't even know about the existence of the term) until I came across American youtubers who talked about theists and atheists. Here in Finland I feel like it's the default assumption that you're atheist, and if you're not, you have to "come out" if you want people to know it. Thus people (like me, who actually are atheist) never say they're "atheist", but rather they say they're "non-religious". I mean, there's no need for a specific term to be seen and heard since you're the majority.

MerePeasant

Atheist. 

(Is a one-word answer okay? I don't really have anything else to add at this time.)

Quaker. That's the simple answer...

13 hours ago, MerePeasant said:

(Is a one-word answer okay? 

Yes

• 3 weeks later...
GingerRose
On 10/27/2019 at 11:55 AM, iff said:

So the options are based on the ace census (for link see orange bar at top or this)

i love the option nothing in particular

Thank you for putting UU I always have the hardest time ever finding that listed!

GingerRose
On 10/27/2019 at 1:54 PM, Skycaptain said:

Antitheist 

How is this different than atheist?

2 hours ago, GingerRose said:
On 10/27/2019 at 11:54 AM, Skycaptain said:

Antitheist 

Like asexual vs antisexual?

5 hours ago, GingerRose said:
On 10/27/2019 at 12:54 PM, Skycaptain said:

Antitheist 

Atheists don't believe in a god.

An antitheist is someone who is against any kind of belief in god(s).

anti·the·ist
/ˌan(t)ēˈTHēist/
adjective
adjective: anti-theist; adjective: antitheist
  1. opposed to belief in the existence of a god or gods.
    "I'm not so much atheist as antitheist"

noun
noun: anti-theist; plural noun: anti-theists; noun: antitheist; plural noun: antitheists
  1. a person who is opposed to belief in the existence of a god or gods.
    "he is an ardent antitheist"

GingerRose
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Like asexual vs antisexual?

So like repulsed by the thought of god(s) rather than just not believing in god(s)?

1 minute ago, GingerRose said:

So like repulsed by the thought of god(s) rather than just not believing in god(s)?

Not necessarily. See

GingerRose
Just now, daveb said:

Not necessarily. See

Like being against the idea of religion itself that is based around a god(s)?

I've seen antitheist being used on person who believes that no-one should have religion/actively tries to convert people to atheism. While atheist simply doesn't believe that gods exist.

GingerRose
Just now, naakka said:

I've seen antitheist being used on person who believes that no-one should have religion/actively tries to convert people to atheism. While atheist simply doesn't believe that gods exist.

Hm, I wouldn't like that then. Everyone should have the right to believe what they want to an extent.

Hm, I wouldn't like that then. Everyone should have the right to believe what they want to an extent.

Yeah. Long as they don't hurt others, everyone should have the freedom of religion/belief system :)

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism

Opposition to theism
The Oxford English Dictionary defines antitheist as "One opposed to belief in the existence of a god". The earliest citation given for this meaning dates from 1833. Antitheism has been adopted as a label by those who regard theism as dangerous, destructive, or encouraging of harmful behavior. Christopher Hitchens offers an example of this approach in Letters to a Young Contrarian (2001), in which he writes: "I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful."

It doesn't necessarily mean they go around doing anything like trying to convert people or anything. It might just mean they see these things as harmful or negative or otherwise not good for people or society.

I consider myself a definite atheist. What other people believe is their own business. I do draw the line at people using their religion to violate the rights of others or to promote bigotry or other harmful actions. But I don't want to get bogged down in arguments or discussions about it.

Prefer to say agnostic, though I think I’m leaning athiest

53 minutes ago, SkyWorld said:

Prefer to say agnostic, though I think I’m leaning athiest

But agnostic and atheist(/theist) aren't exclusive? I mean, don't they answer to different questions? Agnostic/gnostic answers to question "do you think it's possible to have knowledge about gods?" and atheist/theist answers to question "do you believe any gods exist?". Thus, you can be agnostic atheist or agnostic theist (if you said you're agnostic, you'd still be either atheist or theist but simply didn't define your stand on that question). By my logic :)

2 hours ago, naakka said:

But agnostic and atheist(/theist) aren't exclusive? I mean, don't they answer to different questions? Agnostic/gnostic answers to question "do you think it's possible to have knowledge about gods?" and atheist/theist answers to question "do you believe any gods exist?". Thus, you can be agnostic atheist or agnostic theist (if you said you're agnostic, you'd still be either atheist or theist but simply didn't define your stand on that question). By my logic :)

Yeah, I know one could be both as agnostic (a)theist. I just want more emphasis on the agnostic part, thus why I put in the poll as agnostic. For example, one of my family members would often question why I don’t believe in anything and I’d often explain not necessarily, I just don’t know. But it seems that part doesn’t matter 😕

Archived