What Religion are you

iff

What is your religious identity  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Religious identity

• Protestant
    • Roman Catholic
    • Mormon
    • Orthodox (such as Greek or Russian Orthodox)
    • Other Christian denomination
    • Jewish
    • Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Nothing in particular
    • Pantheist or Panentheist
    • Unitarian Universalist
    • Wiccan
    • Other Pagan
    • Other non-religious
    • other religious
    • Unsure
    • Sikh

This poll is closed to new votes

Effectively Agnostic-Atheist, leaning more on the Atheist side than the Agnostic side.

fooledbysecrecy

i had this hardcore atheist phase as a teenager, these days a bit more agnostic compared to that but generally non-religious/nothing in particular.

i did believe in a christian (protestant??) god as a kid, not because of my family being super religious or anything but i went to this day care thing run by the church which feels like brainwashing in hindsight, same thing in primary school.

I don't know how to answer because I'm not religious (I follow no organised religion), but I do have very strong spiritual beliefs built from actual *experience* of what happens in the afterlife etc, my own experience and that of thousands (millions) of others. So.. I'm 'spiritual' in that I know a soul exists and that it's immortal, but not in any organised way that would make me 'religious'

Pretty much I'm a heathen (not a follower of Christianity or any organised religion) but I do have spiritual beliefs :o

Orion the Hunter

I was born and raised 1/2 Southern Baptist and 1/2 Pentecostal. Then after reading tons of books by people like St Augustine, St Teresa of Avila, St Francis, St John of the Cross, Thomas A Kempis, and Thomas Merton I converted to Roman Catholicism. Now I am about to convert to Greek Orthodoxy, one of the most beautiful and ancient of Christian faiths

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

I'm not religious, but I do believe in the existence of a god.

Does anyone know whether the ace/aro census is offered in many languages? I ask because if it is, we should note that the results we see on this thread only represent speakers of English. 

Also, I was thinking an interesting question might be "What religion were you raised with?" (Sometimes folks choose a different path than the one imposed by family tradition/culture.) My hope would be to better dispel the misconception that asexuality is the result of ingrained religious beliefs or religious repression, rather than being an innate orientation. I suppose to accomplish that, this question would require several follow-up questions regarding what beliefs regarding sex were imposed, at what ages, how strongly they were believed at different ages, and how those beliefs changed (if at all) over time. Moreover, the same questions must be asked of those who identify as sexual for comparison. My hypothesis is that any sexual repression experienced due to religious upbringing would be equally distributed between sexual and asexual people. 

As a personal statement, I feel freer than ever having realized my asexuality. For me, the experience of identifying as asexual has been the opposite of repression. 

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck
On 10/27/2019 at 5:58 PM, RoseGoesToYule said:

Probably somewhere in the middle of agnostic and atheist, but I don't see any of it as important to me anyway, so nothing in particular.

sounds much like me.

Janus the Fox

Aptheist, neutral either way and can respect all religions and belief systems.

Right now, I'm fluctuating between atheist and agnostic. I've been an atheist all throughout high school and beyond, but I've always been a little spiritual, do I don't think that's quite right. It's more like I reject religion, rather than whether or not I believe in any particular one. I'm more open to polytheistic practices because it makes more sense, in my opinion, but at the end of the day, I'm skeptical, so I identify as agnostic right now.

The Barefoot Backpacker

I've always wrestled with the idea of whether "God" is synonymous with "Nature", in the sense that the natural world/universe is too large, too powerful, and too complex to entirely understand or consider. The question then follows: do you choose to worship it or not? [As well as 'do you anthropomorphise it?'].

I choose not to, because it appears to have no conscious thought process, and therefore worship seems a pointless activity. But by inference, that doesn't quite make me an 'Atheist'...

Pretty much atheist but usually say agnostic so people don’t assume I’m an anti-theist, as I have no qualms with religion. 🤷‍♀️

• 2 weeks later...
CelesteAdAstra

Eclectic pagan, mostly Celtic and Norse 

• 2 weeks later...

Im non-believing and unreligious, but I still prefer to call myself Lutheran rather than Atheist.

:unsure: Huh? Atheism is leading in this poll, with 53 people?

That doesn't really make sense to me. I've definitely come across way more people saying they're Christian than Atheist, on here, with several religious discussions; seen several threads made, asking about whether there were any other Christian aces; one of the Christian threads in the Intersectionality Forum is pinned for a reason: it's popular and has several hundred more replies than the Atheist thread (which only has like around the same 10 people discussing things in that thread).

And the Atheist thread only became a thread last year, whereas, the Christian threads have already been there for several years.

While I know there are some Atheists, here, I definitely haven't felt as though I'm super represented or that most people here are non-believers, due to all of the several religious threads and discussions (that I can't relate to and that don't describe my life, at all).

Maybe atheists tend to be less vocal about it, than believers of some religions?

1 hour ago, daveb said:

Maybe atheists tend to be less vocal about it, than believers of some religions?

But there's no way to determine that, since if atheists (or anyone) aren't vocal, their existence isn't known.

The atheists I've known have been quite vocal, and in fact have often made fun of religious belief.  Agnostics, no.  

1 minute ago, Sally said:

their existence isn't known

Unless they answer a poll like this. :P 

2 minutes ago, Sally said:

The atheists I've known have been quite vocal

Of course, you're more likely to know what their beliefs are if they are vocal about it. That doesn't mean all atheists are vocal. It's a kind of confirmation bias.

55 minutes ago, Sally said:

But there's no way to determine that, since if atheists (or anyone) aren't vocal, their existence isn't known.

I agree, but as daveb pointed out, the way to know is polls like these where posting and talking about oneself or experiences isn't necessary. 

55 minutes ago, Sally said:

The atheists I've known have been quite vocal, and in fact have often made fun of religious belief.  Agnostics, no. 

I've met plenty of vocal atheists, and I've met plenty of vocal theists. I'll hand you the not so vocal agnostics because I find that crowd (the ones who don't also call themselves pagan or atheist or something non-theist) to be less pushy about their beliefs since their whole stance is "I don't know." 

Personally, I try and be vocal about my atheism. I grew up having no idea those around me were non-believers and it made it so much worse when I was losing my faith. But I also don't want to actively call a religious person out on stuff I find to be bs in their claims because that's rude, would likely be a complete tangent from the topic, and unnecessary. How often does atheism come up in natural conversations not discussing religion or philosophy? Not very often.

3 hours ago, LeChat said:

one of the Christian threads in the Intersectionality Forum is pinned for a reason: it's popular and has several hundred more replies than the Atheist thread (which only has like around the same 10 people discussing things in that thread).

I'm really sad the atheist thread is so inactive. But there's much more discussion about religion when it feels like no one in your religion agrees about proper interpretation, proper implementation, etc. than when your non-religion is basically just like "No, not convinced it's a thing." The most active the chat got once I think was talking about anti-theism. 

I am raised a Muslim, but I'm slowly becoming more athiest? Islam will forever influence my life though.

23 hours ago, LeChat said:

:unsure: Huh? Atheism is leading in this poll, with 53 people?

That doesn't really make sense to me. I've definitely come across way more people saying they're Christian than Atheist, on here, with several religious discussions; seen several threads made, asking about whether there were any other Christian aces; one of the Christian threads in the Intersectionality Forum is pinned for a reason: it's popular and has several hundred more replies than the Atheist thread (which only has like around the same 10 people discussing things in that thread).

And the Atheist thread only became a thread last year, whereas, the Christian threads have already been there for several years.

While I know there are some Atheists, here, I definitely haven't felt as though I'm super represented or that most people here are non-believers, due to all of the several religious threads and discussions (that I can't relate to and that don't describe my life, at all).

interesting point

even when you look at it atheism has 54 votes, all the 5 christian options at the top have a combined 24 votes

wiccans meanwhile have no votes

• 2 weeks later...

Used to be a Protestant by birth but it never grew on me so I left and am now agnostic. 

I believe there’s some type of higher power but ‘it’ ‘they’ don’t have contact with us. Maybe 🤷‍♂️

Archived