What Religion are you

iff

What is your religious identity  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Religious identity

• Protestant
    • Roman Catholic
    • Mormon
    • Orthodox (such as Greek or Russian Orthodox)
    • Other Christian denomination
    • Jewish
    • Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Nothing in particular
    • Pantheist or Panentheist
    • Unitarian Universalist
    • Wiccan
    • Other Pagan
    • Other non-religious
    • other religious
    • Unsure
    • Sikh

This poll is closed to new votes

So the options are based on the ace census (for link see orange bar at top or this)

i love the option nothing in particular

RoseGoesToYale

Probably somewhere in the middle of agnostic and atheist, but I don't see any of it as important to me anyway, so nothing in particular.

firewallflower

100% Jewish, though also somewhat agnostic.

I'm Christian- Protestant specifically, but I incorporate some Catholic spiritual practices.  I was rather intrigued by Wicca for a while, but eventually realized it wasn't for me. 

Anthracite_Impreza

Non religious and atheist, but animist with Celtic pagan roots (answered "other non-religious")

Horse Ham Radio

Atheist. As a child I was agnostic but somewhere around my mid-teens I switched to atheism. My family are technically Christians, but they don't go to church or do anything particularly religious. They don't like me talking about atheism though.

Hmm, I'm kind of confused by what the difference is between the options of "atheism," "other non-religious," and "nothing in particular."

I guess I'd be considered an atheist, but I don't really use that label or have situations where I need to tell anyone in real life, so, in my daily life, I just don't think about it; I don't have a religion, I wasn't brought up with a religion, so I really just think of it as "I'm not religious."

9 minutes ago, LeChat said:

Hmm, I'm kind of confused by what the difference is between the options of "atheism," "other non-religious," and "nothing in particular."

I guess I'd be considered an atheist, but I don't really use that label or have situations where I need to tell anyone in real life, so, in my daily life, I just don't think about it; I don't have a religion, I wasn't brought up with a religion, so I really just think of it as "I'm not religious."

I assume other non-religious is just anything non-religious that's not listed here, like ignostic.

"Nothing in particular" seems like a more dangerous one as it is pretty much open to interpretation, so I probably wouldn't have added that 😕

E.g. I'd most likely interpret this as e.g. a mix of several religions or a subset of the beliefs of one, which seems to significantly differ from how others (like Anthracite_Impreza) interpreted it, so that one's gonna be tricky to evaluate in case they want to group them.

25 minutes ago, Dreamer23 said:

..."Nothing in particular" seems like a more dangerous one as it is pretty much open to interpretation, so I probably wouldn't have added that 😕

E.g. I'd most likely interpret this as e.g. a mix of several religions or a subset of the beliefs of one, which seems to significantly differ from how others (like Anthracite_Impreza) interpreted it, so that one's gonna be tricky to evaluate in case they want to group them...

Yeah, I also thought that could be a possible interpretation (a "mix of several religions"), but I wasn't sure whether that might be what @iff meant.

Personally, if I made a poll, I'd probably use something like "multi-religious."

Antitheist 

6 minutes ago, LeChat said:

Yeah, I also thought that could be a possible interpretation (a "mix of several religions"), but I wasn't sure whether that might be what @iff meant.

Personally, if I made a poll, I'd probably use something like "multi-religious."

I took all the options from the ace and aro census apart from sikh, to bring it to maximum of 20 options. 

other non-religious (antitheist)

I'm more than one of the above. I'm agnostic, atheist, anti-theist, skeptic, non-religious, and nothing in particular. I selected 'atheist' as the best one choice answer.

Atheist answers the yes/no question of if one believes a god or gods exist.
Agnostic answers the yes/no question of if the truth can be known. I don't think this is a religion as one can be any religion or no religion and be agnostic about it or not. You can be agnostic about any claim really, not just religious ones.

Twisted Tempest

I kinda have this persona of being a Norse Pagan (Your Odin and Thor believers) but in truth I'm an Athiest. Mostly I just really play on the fact that I'm Scandinavian when I'm having fun with friends, so that's where my Norse Pagan persona comes in. 

5 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

I'm more than one of the above. I'm agnostic, atheist, anti-theist, skeptic, non-religious, and nothing in particular. I selected 'atheist' as the best one choice answer.

Agnostic and anti-theist? That's... an unusual combo. :huh: How do you reconcile that?

5 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

Atheist answers the yes/no question of if one believes a god or gods exist.
Agnostic answers the yes/no question of if the truth can be known. I don't think this is a religion as one can be any religion or no religion and be agnostic about it or not. You can be agnostic about any claim really, not just religious ones.

Correct. I'm that apparent rare breed - an agnostic (panen)theist.

I believe in the entity I call "god"; I have no idea if this belief correlates with objective truth, and consider the point moot as such truth is unknowable to me, as a human. I voted according to the latter part - pan(en)theist - in the poll, as my faith is more important in day-to-day life than my rejection of the possibility of knowledge.

2 hours ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

I believe in the entity I call "god"; I have no idea if this belief correlates with objective truth, and consider the point moot as such truth is unknowable to me, as a human.

Why believe something if you have no idea if it is true and no way to know it? What is your reasoning? Do you believe anything else in life with this method? Why not just say "I don't know" and leave it at that?

2 hours ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

Agnostic and anti-theist? That's... an unusual combo. :huh: How do you reconcile that?

Agnostic because I don't think the truth about some god claims can be known- they are unfalsifiable. I say "some" because some are demonstrably false.
Anti-theist because I see religion as an unnecessary and overall harmful thing for society. I also think that believing things on faith is a risky method of trying to ascertaining truth.

1 minute ago, Firefly8 said:

Why believe something if you have no idea if it is true and no way to know it? What is your reasoning? Do you believe anything else in life with this method? Why not just say "I don't know" and leave it at that?

Yes, I believe in millions of things that way. If I stick to what I know, all I have is my thoughts; everything outside of that, I have to take on faith alone (cogito ergo sum, brain in a vat, solipsism - you know the drill).

Faith in god was the most intuitively plausible, shortest possible leap of faith for me, as god - like my thoughts - is pure mind, and does not require the additional assumption of physical matter existing; I can then derive faith in the existence of a material universe outside of my mind from belief in a god who just operates on a higher level - where my mind can merely create the illusion/delusion of matter, god's thought might create physical matter itself.

So, for me, application of Occam's Razor lead from solipsism to theism; empiric materialism was too far of a leap of faith.

@Mysticus Insanus Very interesting. I don't think that way, but that was a good explanation so I can understand how you do. Thanks for sharing.
I feel most accurate leaving it at "I don't know," but if I had to bet on it I'd bet that there are natural explanations for everything. We will probably not be capable of discovering all there is to know about the universe before our species goes extinct, but I still see no reason to bring a god into it. 

I consider myself an atheist/agnostic though I do respect other people's religions.

I'm an Orthodox. I do believe in God and I do have my own relationship with God, though I think I see myself more as spiritual than religious. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm a bit too selfish, immoral and sinful to even be considered a Christian. I feel my connection to God and religion is kind of... weak. 

1 hour ago, Salmiakki said:

I'm an Orthodox. I do believe in God and I do have my own relationship with God, though I think I see myself more as spiritual than religious. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm a bit too selfish, immoral and sinful to even be considered a Christian. I feel my connection to God and religion is kind of... weak. 

That's a very open and honest interpretation of your own faith, so good on ya. It sounds quite normal really, especially for those relatively new to the faith.

I don't like the term "religion" at all really, it carries some negative connotations and is likely a big reason why we're a minority within a minority. For me it's basically faith: yah, religion: nah. The Bible doesn't exactly list what we should do in point form; it's about the relationship and is very much an individual thing. I certainly don't like everything about it; for instance there are people I'd like to tell/flip off and sometimes actually do it, but I know I shouldn't. I'm not letting go of it though, I'd be screwed without it.

I voted other pagan since my main belief is in the Norse gods, but I'm somewhat agnostic as well while having been raised protestant christian... 

I actually like the "nothing in particular" because it separates out those who are vaguely one or another, but not really anywhere that it matters to them at all. Like I had "Christian" friends who would say so if forced to choose (and wouldn't be able to choose a denomination, mind you) but who would say "nothing in particular" since they're culturally Christian at most and don't practice or actively believe anything. And I've met people who really don't think about it and don't care enough about it to bother, so it's a good option to separate them out from those who are adament religious.

Also, I just love that you didn't just put "Christian" instead of Protestant. I have argued against such terrible labeling for years. I even ask people "Are Catholics not Christians then?" and they stare at me like it was a dumb question without seeing their flaw. Omg, this is such a pet peeve of mine and I feel so... ridiculously happy you didn't mess up there.

My answer was atheist though, and I'd be around a 6 on the Dawkin's scale, so not agnostic. 

Archived