Fragrances for the non-binary

Dawning

I've FINALLY found a fragrance that smells terrific without smelling feminine or masculine! It's a bay rum, which granted is traditionally a male fragrance, in fact the original version was created by pirates so they wouldn't be so stinky, but I found a version that doesn't have that sort of astringent smell that men's fragrances tend to have, it just smells like cinnamon and cloves and other warm spices:

610BKCTcaBL._SY679_.jpg

What kind of fragrance do you wear that fits with your perception of gender, or lack thereof? If your gender is flux or fluid, do you wear different fragrances for different gender moments, or have you found something that covers all the possibilities? If you're in the agender universe like me, have you found any good fragrances that really seem genderless to you? I'd love to discover some additional options for smelling great without smelling "male" or "female"!

Galactic Turtle

I don't wear any fragrances lol. I am female. Does deodorant and dial soap count?

Janus the Fox

I don’t usually ware any fragrances either, with the occasion of wearing a mild feminine fragrance when expressing femininely, Deodorant and mild perfumes sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Dawning said:

610BKCTcaBL._SY679_.jpg

I would probably accidentally chug this on a desperate night.

I make my own fragrance with body safe scent oil I order off of ebay. From PLANT GURU. Not because I'm non binary... because I'm particular, I guess. lol... though I do tend towards androgyny.

Right now, I've made gardenia scented coconut oil that I put into my hair as moisturizer as well as scent. Pretty feminine. I want to try mixing musk in it, though. And I want to try mixing pine and vanilla as another option!

Alejandrogynous

I'm a huge fan of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, they're known for making spooky/goth scents but they have a lot of great gender-neutral perfumes. Most of the time I smell like coffee and books and that suits me perfectly.

I found a deodorant with just a little bit of cedar tree essential oil, which is nice. Overall, I don't try to make myself smell a certain way. Having a constant smell surrounding you must be annoying.

1 hour ago, Iridium said:

I just use what smells good, and to hell with which gender it's marketed at.

I mean, yeah, who really should give a damn about who it's marketed at. I'll use women's fragrance if it smells good to me.

Some of my favorites include Clinique's Calyx, and Molinard's Patchouli.  I don't wear makeup, and I get the majority of my clothes from the thrift store, which lets me save up for fragrances.

DuranDuranfan
On 10/27/2019 at 9:55 AM, Iridium said:

I just use what smells good, and to hell with which gender it's marketed at.

Yep, if it’s purpose is to eliminate offensive BO then to hell with whether it’s a “Men’s” fragrance! And it’s probably cheaper too!

DarkStormyKnight

Haha yeah I'm in the just deodorant boat, but that's super cool that a rum perfume doesn't smell gendered!

I don't wear fragrances.

Just some weak flowery smelling deodorant and scentless shampoos, body wash and detergents.

Also I thought the bottle was rum or something. They should get a better design. 🤣

On 10/30/2019 at 11:05 AM, Member114264 said:

Also I thought the bottle was rum or something. They should get a better design. 🤣

Because the fragrance is bay RUM, and because originally it was made with RUM, they made the bottle look like a bottle of RUM… a totally perfect design for what they're trying to express, LOL!

On 10/27/2019 at 9:20 AM, Alejandrogynous said:

I'm a huge fan of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, they're known for making spooky/goth scents but they have a lot of great gender-neutral perfumes. Most of the time I smell like coffee and books and that suits me perfectly.

That sounds wonderful, do you buy this online?

Alejandrogynous
3 hours ago, Here&Queer said:

That sounds wonderful, do you buy this online?

Yep! blackphoenixalchemylab.com

There's also a forum where people write reviews, discuss, trade, etc. Now's the best time to explore in my opinion because their Halloween collections are always amazing but their General Catalog is top notch too. (And you can get little cheap samples of those, which is nice.) My faves from the GC are Miskatonic University and Snake Oil😊

Also as a side note, the folks who own it are good people. They do a lot of "activism" scents where the proceeds go to various causes. It's a good business to support.

I always go for old lady perfume. Chanel N5 is my favorite but I mostly just use it as air freshener or spray it on my bed before going to sleep. 

I’d prefer a woodsy citrusy perfume I haven’t found one I like that’s also not super expensive 

2 hours ago, Lockylocks said:

I always go for old lady perfume. Chanel N5 is my favorite but I mostly just use it as air freshener or spray it on my bed before going to sleep. 

I’d prefer a woodsy citrusy perfume I haven’t found one I like that’s also not super expensive 

Have you tried Bath & Body Works? They have several woodsy fragrances that have citrus or fruity notes to them. Have you selected that fragrance family because it has less of a gender feel to it, or is that just what you like? Great either way, I'm just really interested in what how other people are handling the fragrance issue.

I don't use any fragrances at all. I use african black soap which is unscented, African shea butter has a fairly neutral smell to it I guess and the only thing would be my deodorant I guess.

23 hours ago, Dawning said:

Have you tried Bath & Body Works? They have several woodsy fragrances that have citrus or fruity notes to them. Have you selected that fragrance family because it has less of a gender feel to it, or is that just what you like? Great either way, I'm just really interested in what how other people are handling the fragrance issue.

I love that store but not a fan of their perfumes. 
I think it might be both. I hate that I only have one perfume that’s not flowery and girly but it doesn’t go well for everyday use. I once found a perfume that smelled like leather and wood and regret not getting it. 
I usually go for scents that remind me of things or conjure up a picture in my head. 

47 minutes ago, Lockylocks said:

I love that store but not a fan of their perfumes. 
I think it might be both. I hate that I only have one perfume that’s not flowery and girly but it doesn’t go well for everyday use. I once found a perfume that smelled like leather and wood and regret not getting it. 
I usually go for scents that remind me of things or conjure up a picture in my head. 

English Leather is a very inexpensive leather and wood combo… or is that too masculine? Usher is also a leather and wood fragrance, and it's pretty cheap. 

I'm not a fan of the BBW fragrances that try to mimic real perfumes, but I like the ones that are based on food scents. I particularly like this one, which is a wonderful citrus/wood scent, available inexpensively in a lotion form if you want to try it:

https://www.bathandbodyworks.com/p/white-citrus-super-smooth-body-lotion-023892367.html

This brand has an inexpensive citrus and wood fragrance:

https://drsquatch.com/shop/product/70704176

and soap:

https://drsquatch.com/shop/product/cedar-citrus

On 11/1/2019 at 11:56 PM, Alejandrogynous said:

Also as a side note, the folks who own it are good people. They do a lot of "activism" scents where the proceeds go to various causes. It's a good business to support.

It sure looks like it.

I'm not a fan of patchouli and heavy vanilla scents at all, but I would buy their "Nasty Woman" perfume oil simply because of its name and this awesome text:

"Let’s put this pussy-grabbing, racist, predatory, misogynistic, hateful, irresponsible, ignorant, immature grotesquerie out of politics for good, and do what we can to ensure that he and his ilk never cast their miserable shadows over our political process again."

What annoys me, as far as perfumes go, are the kind of scents that have "sport" in the name and smell like spray-on deodorant at ten times the price.

Archived