Not sure if i'm aro or if I just have aro tendencies

Desiderium

Hi friends! I'm not entirely sure, but there are some days where I'm convinced that I'm at least somewhere on the aro spectrum. Dating digusts me, even being flirted with is enough to make me wanna gag, but at the same time- I love getting physical affection (but I've only noticed that I like it when it's from my close friends). I should also mention that I don't have any real romantic experience- could my dating-phobia be related to that or am I at least a little bit aro?

I wish I could answer this - I'm actually in the same boat...

I think the key to figuring out whether you are romantic or aromantic isn't whether you like 'traditionally' romantic things - it's in your feelings. Do you get crushes on people or experience romantic attraction? I do, but, like you, the thought of "dating" makes me more than a bit nauseated. I still identify as romantic because of those feelings, even if I don't express them "traditionally. "

Galactic Turtle

I came to identify as aromantic because I've never been interested in anyone "that way" in that I've never been drawn to someone in a way that I wouldn't categorize as friendship. I've never wanted to be anyone's partner, never had a crush.

I wouldn't say that dating/flirting disgusts me, I just don't really get it or the whole process of pairing off.

1 hour ago, Road said:

I think the key to figuring out whether you are romantic or aromantic isn't whether you like 'traditionally' romantic things - it's in your feelings. Do you get crushes on people or experience romantic attraction? I do, but, like you, the thought of "dating" makes me more than a bit nauseated. I still identify as romantic because of those feelings, even if I don't express them "traditionally. "

This was super helpful! I don't really have crushes, and romantic attraction is a bit of a foreign concept to me, haha. Maybe I am somewhere on the spectrum? Either way, I've got to do some more learning about myself and aromantism in general.  Thanks for your awesome advice!

Archived