Ocean water is a soup

Eva Blue

Last night, me and a club-mate got into a debate that if hotdogs can be considered tacos, ocean water is a soup. She doesn't see my point, but!

It has:

-water

-seasoning (salt)

-meat (animals, plankton, microorganisms)

vegetables (seaweed, other microorganisms)

-added ingredients from a human (pollution)

-it even has underwater magma to keep that has heated the soup up!

THEREFORE the ocean is just one big soup pot. And I will further argue that forests are just salad

Counterpoint, who puts wood in their salad?

Ocean water could definitely be a soup, but there's too much other stuff going on with forests to be considered a salad

20 minutes ago, SweetTart said:

Dogs, or so I would assume given all the twigs I see them chew on at the park.

Knight of Cydonia

Soup is meant to be eaten, so I don't consider ocean a soup. Same with forests and salads. 

Is a hot dog a taco though? Or a sandwich? Or neither?

Ocean is such an over-seasoned soup

1/10 -Would rather eat a forest

So what is the difference between soup and a stew then?

17 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

So what is the difference between soup and a stew then?

A soup is just a liquid form of various ingredients to eat, and a stew is something that things sit in for along period of time so the flavour soaks in, such as your rage.

17 minutes ago, Snao van der Cone said:

A soup is just a liquid form of various ingredients to eat, and a stew is something that things sit in for along period of time so the flavour soaks in, such as your rage.

I asked that because I heard on the radio a long time ago about a "web Brower game"  were you got statement like is this soup..... and then you clicked yes or no until you got a answers based on your answers how you defined soup. I have tried to find it. It mostly boild down to a philosophical question. 

5 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

I like my soups hot, not cold :P 

Well, with how global warming is going, you might not have to wait long 😓😂

4 hours ago, SweetTart said:

Beavers. It's a beaver salad 😂.

Counter-COUNTER point: not every part of the salad is eaten. We don't eat tomato stems or roots, but we can eat parts of that plant. And the animals in the forest is just like how people add bacon bits to it.

Last point! Can sand be a spice? 🤔

Putting wood in a beaver salad 🤣 🤣 

I guess technically it is, just don’t eat too much of it or you’ll get sick.

@Gloomy no one can stop me from guzzling the FOrbIdDeN SoUp. 😂🥣

Krill soup for some whales; fish soup for others; or seal or penguin soup for some.

But hot dogs are not tacos. Tacos are made with tortillas. :P 

(my personal test for whether something is part of a food category for people is how might someone react if they ordered the thing in a restaurant, but were given the other thing. For example, if someone ordered a taco and were served a hot dog. I know I'd be annoyed. Maybe other people would be fine with it or even happy.)

@daveb it's more like how a tomato is technically a fruit, but people would be annoyed with it in a fruit salad. Hotdogs are just meat in between one type of bread with condiments added. So therefore (my other club mate argued) it is in the same group as tacos lol

I'd be annoyed with tomatoes in any salad. :P 

Also, I don't think of tortillas as bread. They are their own category to me. You can't make French toast with them. And you can't make good enchiladas with bread.

21 hours ago, Eva Blue said:

@daveb it's more like how a tomato is technically a fruit, but people would be annoyed with it in a fruit salad. Hotdogs are just meat in between one type of bread with condiments added. So therefore (my other club mate argued) it is in the same group as tacos lol

A tomato based fruit salad is just salsa.

Burritos are sandwiches, and cheesecake is a pie!

I once wrote about Cthulhu and Jörmungandr drinking krilltea, here on AVEN. 

Krill broth sounds good. 

Also vegetables are just edible plants, so tomatoes are fruit AND vegetables ^^

2 hours ago, Poe's Creep Meta said:

Krill broth sounds good. 

Problem is there's so much plastic rubbish in the ocean that the krill have turned into akrillic 

4 minutes ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

Problem is there's so much plastic rubbish in the ocean that the krill have turned into akrillic 

Too true, and we end up eating our own trash. 

Ocean is basically a soup.

A deadly soup at best with plastics, toxic runoffs, venomous animals, algae, and rip tides.

Although it's nice to sail on if your smart enough to predict currents, winds and so forth.

• 1 year later...
PandaGamer1015

Oxford Languages states soup is defined as "a liquid dish, typically made by boiling meat, fish, or vegetables, etc., in stock or water.". So for something to be soup it must have 

A) Boiling water

and

B) Some form of life 

Some parts of the ocean do reach temperatures of boiling or above and some forms of life have adapted to live there. Therefore we can infer that parts of the ocean are soup.  Only one question remains : How little soup can be in a soup before it is no longer considered soup? That is really up to personal preference. So, to conclude, I have found that parts of the ocean are indeed soup but it is up to personal preference weather or not the entire ocean is considered soup. 

Sources: https://www.google.com/search\rlz=1CAABIB_enUS899&sxsrf=ALeKk02O_fZl04yvM3GLuwEweMhxDrOz9A%3A1612847991939&ei=dxsiYPjwOIqStAa36IHgDA&q=soup+definition&oq=sou&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgoILhCxAxCDARBDOgcIIxDqAhAnOgUIABCRAjoICAAQsQMQgwE6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoECC4QQ1CJHlioJGCWLWgBcAJ4AIAB7wKIAdYHkgEHMC4xLjIuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXqwAQrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&safe=active&ssui=on ( Check the first dictionary result)

https://oceantoday.noaa.gov/underwatervolcanoes/ 

This thread has been inactive for a long time and is now being locked. If anyone would like to discuss the topic further, feel free to start a new tread.

Iam9man

PPS Moderator

Archived