LeChat

AVEN's 2019 Census Survey

LeChat

Hi, everyone!

I just thought I'd let everyone know that AVEN's 2019 Census Survey is now open, today (for a limited time, usually around a month). It's open to all members of the community: ace, non-ace, sexual, etc. and 13+.

https://asexualcensus.wordpress.com/

• Like 11

ColeHW34

Done!

Snao Cone

Just a note, it's not AVEN's. They're a different group who do great work. :)

• Like 6

FaerieFate

Gonna pin this. Can someone tag me and remind me to unpin it when the Survey is done? Thank you!

• Like 2

LeChat
34 minutes ago, Member114264 said:

Done!

:) That's great.

27 minutes ago, Snao van der Cone said:

Just a note, it's not AVEN's. They're a different group who do great work. :)

Ah. Well, as an example, on this page, AVEN itself called it "AVEN Survey 2015."

...The 2015 Ace Community Census is an annual community survey conducted by the AVEN Survey Team...

And on the asexualcensus.wordpress site, it was "Tagged 2015 AVEN Census."

So, that was confusing. Unless it changed?

Plus, I think I remember some AVEN members volunteering, in years' past, to help with the surveys, too.

• Like 2

Snao Cone
2 minutes ago, LeChat said:

Ah. Well, as an example, on this page, AVEN itself called it "AVEN Survey 2015." So, that was confusing. Plus, I think I remember some AVEN members volunteering, in years' past, to help with the surveys, too.

It used to be associated with AVEN, but in the past few years it's been a separate body. There are definitely AVEN members volunteering, too. I've used their reports a lot and it's fantastic information. :)

• Like 3

FaerieFate
5 minutes ago, LeChat said:

Plus, I think I remember some AVEN members volunteering, in years' past, to help with the surveys, too.

Yeah, I volunteered for a short time (not long enough to actually do anything useful). Unfortunately for me it was bad timing, so I had to leave pretty quickly because I couldn't do much. However, they do recruit people on AVEN for help.

LeChat

Eh, I was just about to change the title, removing "AVEN," when I realized that, if I do that and change it to "2019 Ace Community Survey," then members who aren't ace (including grey-sexuals, demisexuals, sexuals, etc.) might read the title and not bother to click on the thread or fill out the survey because they might believe that the survey is only for aces, not them (which isn't the case.)

• Like 1

Laurann

Personally I really liked this explanation the survey team gave of the work they do. :) 

• Like 1

KYON.

When I saw it had 29 pages, I thought it was gonna take ages, but it really didn't.

It didn't have too many questions and I didn't have to write any words in boxes, so it was good for me!

Kimmie.

Done. 

• Like 1

Strifed

whew 29 pages.... but all done! :D 

Diremastodon
On 10/25/2019 at 9:51 PM, Laurann said:

Personally I really liked this explanation the survey team gave of the work they do. :)

Damn, it is kinda weird to hear Tristan talk while seeing his face. 

I should probably fill out the survey at some point…

• Like 1

Skycaptain

Done this 

It takes a lot less time to do than they suggest as well :)

• Like 2

LeChat
13 hours ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

Done this 

It takes a lot less time to do than they suggest as well :)

Heh. I always take longer, in case I forget something from my past that applies to a question or want to write in something.

I imagine it's a good thing that everyone isn't trying to fill it out all at the last minute (in case of a possible server crash, from too many people, all at once).

:) I feel it's worth filling out and hope many people do: it's the largest ace/aro, etc. survey, every year. Smaller surveys--with not as many people--don't necessarily give as accurate information on aces/aros, etc. as a whole, compared to when a larger amount of people are in a study.

• Like 1

Firefly8

Done! Fast and easy!
A big thank you to everyone working on this project!!! :cake:

• Like 2

Lunala

Doing it right now :) 

edit: Done!

will123

Done!

Red Ivy

Did it!

LeChat

@Laurann Interesting video. I was surprised that, in that video, the majority of survey takers were said to be from Tumblr.

RoseGoesToYale

Je suis fini!

Only question I didn't like was the diet one. Just kind of random and irrelevant.

LeChat
42 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

...Only question I didn't like was the diet one. Just kind of random and irrelevant.

I understand what you mean; it did seem a little personal. But, I've come across other studies not related to sexuality, that were concerned about food insecurity among low-income people. Also, I think I remember Bogaert discussing in his book, "Understanding Asexuality," whether there might be negative economic ramifications for asexuals, that are uniquely related to their sexual orientation (e.g. whether, partly due to some of society's prejudice against single people, aces/aros might be judged, negatively, in the workplace and not hired, not given promotions to earn a higher income, etc., whether it's possible that, due to their lack of sexual/romantic attraction, others view them as "cold" or "uncaring,"--whereas, sexuals who are interested and show interest in others would likely be seen as more "friendly" and "caring" toward others-- and therefore, don't want to give the former job opportunities, where networking and showing interest in others is important; being single, whereas, married sexuals with dual incomes would have more household income).

So, my guess would be that the researchers for this survey were just curious at whether or not asexuals/aro, etc. might be struggling, economically, not have enough food, etc. more than non-aces/aros.

will123

I'm a retired tradesmen that worked in an industrial setting. I don't think  I ever suffered economically because of my asexuality. Mind you I only realized I was asexual about three years before retirement.

• Like 1

LeChat
16 hours ago, will123 said:

I'm a retired tradesmen that worked in an industrial setting. I don't think  I ever suffered economically because of my asexuality. Mind you I only realized I was asexual about three years before retirement.

:) Oh, interesting. Thanks, for sharing that.

I sort of got the impression, looking back at how I was teased and bullied at school and bossed around at my first job, by my boss and customers, that since I was different from my classmates, boss, and customers who were all more extroverted, talkative, confident, etc., that people had misconceptions and misinterpretations about me and how I work (i.e. basically that, since I was quiet and serious at school, that I must've not wanted any friends or anyone to talk to me; and that since I was quiet and serious at work, while doing my job and not participating in gossiping about others with my boss or her manager friend or bothering to put on a fake smile for customers, that I must've not cared about my job--I did want friends at school, and I did care about my job, which sometimes included helping customers find things.)

At first, I thought, perhaps, it was just my introverted personality, but it really makes sense to me, looking back at my life and the things that a classmate and my boss said to me (e.g. "I thought you wanted to be left alone," and "Is everything okay? Do you like working here? Will you be leaving, soon?...Are you sure?") that my lack of having a desire to flirt and chat with others--things which others would do, whether at school or at work--obviously affected how others were perceiving me/interpreting my personality.

And, yeah, my boss chose to not give me the highest raise that I could've been given at my job--she gave me the lowest raise listed, despite me not being late for my job (she claimed I was late a couple of times when I never was--many times, I'd come in and the company machine that was supposed to clock me in wouldn't work; so, I'd have to spend time trying to find another manager in the store to manually type my ID badge number in. So, since my boss wasn't there most of the time, I guess she saw those times when a manager had to do that and assumed I had arrived late), basically doing the same as my boss's job (being the only person working in the department, but not earning my boss's pay) and constantly obeying with all the list of chores my boss wanted me to do working during my hours (whereas, my boss and other coworkers would have downtime to chat with each other).

Knight of Cydonia

Done.

It was a good survey, but I'd be interested in a section on asexual elitism. For example, they asked about negative experiences with the LGBT community (e.g. in discussion groups, meetings...) but not about the asexual community. Unfortunately I've had some very negative experiences with the asexual club at my school due to a prevalence of elitism and hating on "the straights" (also very positive ones when involving different groups, including an AVEN meetup, but still). 

will123

@LeChat

I always thought I was straight. My co-workers knew I had female friends and I'd go out with them to the 'ballet' for a couple of beers.

I did get a bit of teasing about never having a steady girlfriend though. Considering the work environment the 'harassment' could've been worse.

It was a union shop so everyone in each job classification was paid the same regardless of seniority etc.

• Like 1

LeChat

:) Just an update on the survey, that it might end at the end of this month (which is about three weeks):

https://asexualcensus.wordpress.com/faq/ace-community-survey-faq/

...How long does the survey run?
The survey runs annually, usually from mid-October to the end of November.  While the survey may run longer, we recommend that you plan to respond by Nov. 30th to be safe.

Jon A.

Survey done. I just kind of mozied on over. I tend to overthink things so I was kind of slow in getting it done.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:05 PM, LeChat said:

I sort of got the impression, looking back at how I was teased and bullied at school and bossed around at my first job, by my boss and customers, that since I was different from my classmates, boss, and customers who were all more extroverted, talkative, confident, etc., that people had misconceptions and misinterpretations about me and how I work (i.e. basically that, since I was quiet and serious at school, that I must've not wanted any friends or anyone to talk to me; and that since I was quiet and serious at work, while doing my job and not participating in gossiping about others with my boss or her manager friend or bothering to put on a fake smile for customers, that I must've not cared about my job--I did want friends at school, and I did care about my job, which sometimes included helping customers find things.)

At first, I thought, perhaps, it was just my introverted personality, but it really makes sense to me, looking back at my life and the things that a classmate and my boss said to me (e.g. "I thought you wanted to be left alone," and "Is everything okay? Do you like working here? Will you be leaving, soon?...Are you sure?") that my lack of having a desire to flirt and chat with others--things which others would do, whether at school or at work--obviously affected how others were perceiving me/interpreting my personality.

Interesting. I usually got the impression that my being different did little more than make me a popular target for ridicule.

Also, although I don't fancy dealing with people in customer service who don't show a hint of friendliness, I'd rather have that than the phony smiles and scripted lines. I can see right through that stuff and I can't stand phonies.

• Like 1

LeChat
41 minutes ago, Jon A. said:

..Also, although I don't fancy dealing with people in customer service who don't show a hint of friendliness, I'd rather have that than the phony smiles and scripted lines. I can see right through that stuff and I can't stand phonies.

Yeah. I was raised with relatives from different countries, who weren't expected to put on fake smiles for others, so I wasn't taught to automatically do that for other people. I don't like it when employees put on a smile for me; it feels more like they're overdoing it just for their job (and, hence, themselves) than more about helping customers, anyway, so it doesn't really matter that much, to me. Plus, my job was more physically demanding: I wasn't a cashier: I had to lift hundreds of plants for hours, inside and outside the store, (some which were small trees that weighed something 20 pounds), filling and lugging around a cart, wiping shelves of water and dirt, dust items, etc.

My job duties didn't really have me interact with customers that much, compared to the cashiers, anyway. It's hard to put on a smile when your boss and customers aren't treating you nicely, taking out their stress from their lives out on you.

So, I didn't really feel like putting on a fake smile for the customers who might be walking by, while being busy doing all of that. No one noticed my face at all or cared, anyway. It was tiring enough at is was, and it didn't make sense to me. It'd be like expecting and telling a janitor to smile for everyone, while walking around the halls with their cleaning equipment, cleaning the restrooms, etc.: everyone would be able to tell immediately that their smile isn't sincere because not many people would be smiling like that while working a physical job.

Not even my boss smiled all the time while working, either, so it seemed kind of hypocritical to me for her to expect me to put on a smile the entire time I'm working. Plus, even though my boss liked to fake smile for customers, she sometimes would talk negatively about them behind their back, after they'd left.

Jon A.

@LeChat I was referring mainly to cashiers actually. As for anyone who does the kind of work you did, I would be content as long as they refrained from saying anything along the lines of "suck it". I did similar work for a while at a Starvation Army thrift store, but I was on placement. I got along fine with customers, and one day a customer I didn't even remember asked for me by name in spite of my lack of a nametag. I didn't get much respect from the staff though, certainly not as much as an actual employee. In fact certain others could get away with much more than I did, which included being rude to me; I was required to be civil with them though. I didn't even get any training, I was just thrown in the deep end the first day. My frustration mounted over the seven months I was there and I eventually learned over the store's phone from my employment counselor that I got the axe; the boss lady was fine with threatening me but didn't have the guts to face me for that.

Anyway, whenever I get the standard-issue "have a nice day" from a cashier I think "Yeah, BS", unless I was already having a friendly chat with that person.

• Like 1