inews.co.uk — Sex, investigated: 'I’ve never felt upset about my lack of sexual attraction'

Homer

The latest data suggests that regardless of our relationship status, we are all having less sex than we used to, so i's new series Sex, investigated is taking a peek at what is going on between the sheets in Britain's homes.

Oct 23, 2019  https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/sex-investigated-asexuality-ive-never-felt-upset-about-my-lack-of-sexual-attraction-818419

everywhere and nowhere

It is significant that James didn’t feel any distress around his lack of sexual attraction until he was made to feel this was unusual because this is a common experience among the asexual community.

I really like this fragment, also because I often consider issues such as: what is sexual "normality" and isn't the truth perhaps that there are no "sexual dysfunctions", or that conditions (in the philosophical, ot medical sense - "state of being", not "disorder") rightly recognised as dusfunctional are much more rare than we are told? "Distress" is often - as the article itself says too - considered the dividing line between "asexuality" and "sexual dysfunction", but it too isn't clear-cut - people may be distressed for various reasons and for me it seems very likely that if there was no stigma against not having and not desiring sex, a lot of people wouldn't be distressed about their lack of desire because their distress is fueled by society.

I always knew I'd be single, I never wanted to try having sex, I did and I regret it, I hated it and felt awful afterwards, from the age of 19 to the present day, I've never strived for a relationship and certainly not sex, I had one relationship since then, it was the longest relationship I had lasting 28 days, I didn't feel any sexual desire, I loved the intimacy, but I secretly dreaded the thought that one day she'd want sex, the relationship ended as she was cheating on me, in a way, possibly a godsend, after that, I stopped craving a relationship and have been single ever since, I'm a self confessed cuddle slut, but I'm completely happy with the way I am, I'm happy with being asexual, what others think isn't an issue to me, I don't feel abnormal, lonely, depressed or anything else that's often linked with asexuality, it's a part of me, something I can't change, a fact of life, so if I can accept it, I'm sure others can too, if not, well, I know I can't make everyone happy all the time, so I accept that too

Good for Sadie! Being an older ace, nice for me to have an older person's take. Thank you for posting.

AceMissBehaving

I found the tone of the article rather refreshing, thank you!

Archived