Loving to Hate something

SithLord

(Didn't really know where to put this, so please move it depending on if it fits somewhere else.)

I wondered if anyone else just loves to hate on something. Not to the point of actually being violent or aggressive, but like just to bitch and moan. I have this level of love/hate towards Sword Art Online and the Star Wars sequels specifically. It brings me a weird amount of joy to just complain about them and to listen to others complain about them. Not to attack those who like them and never to make it personal even towards the writers or those responsible for creating the mess I see in front of me. I just enjoy complaining. It's very theraputic for me. 

So do you have something you love to hate? 

Once a month or so I dive into the MRA, Red Pill, MGTOW, Incel, and manosphere messes. I never engage (they're downright scary sometimes and I'd hate to be doxxed), and I never really rant about them anywhere else, but boy do I like being properly annoyed at them. It also gives me mental practice at debating and debunking their arguments, and gives me examples of red flags to look out for in guys that I meet. 

I've always been a pretty laid-back person, so I think going on a little righteous rage-bender sometimes helps center me. Like when you have a good cry. 

(That said, I really don't recommend reading too much of their stuff. I used to subscribe to a few of their subreddits, and their way of thinking can easily get into your head and make you view the world in a more negative light. Baaaad stuff.)

RoseGoesToYale

Gary Bettman, Don Cherry, and Doc Emerick.

Oh, and Brad Marchand.

My husband is the KING of this... and one of his favorite gripes is Star Wars and how George Lucas is the worst person alive! lol

2 minutes ago, GhostGoesToWail said:

Gary Bettman, Don Cherry, and Doc Emerick.

Oh, and Brad Marchand.

I have no idea who any of those people are, but feel free to enlighten me. 

2 hours ago, SithGirl said:

(Didn't really know where to put this, so please move it depending on if it fits somewhere else.)

I wondered if anyone else just loves to hate on something. Not to the point of actually being violent or aggressive, but like just to bitch and moan. I have this level of love/hate towards Sword Art Online and the Star Wars sequels specifically. It brings me a weird amount of joy to just complain about them and to listen to others complain about them. Not to attack those who like them and never to make it personal even towards the writers or those responsible for creating the mess I see in front of me. I just enjoy complaining. It's very theraputic for me. 

So do you have something you love to hate? 

I like watching YT videos hating on badly written books, like Onision's 'novels' and 50 Shades of Grey etc. I also enjoy content picking apart EXTREME fundamentalist Christian commentary (like the kind that says women have to have sex even if it hurts them etc) - I just love watching people dissing that kind of thing! 

I love complaining. Guess like you said, its therapeutic for me. But I don't seek out things just so I can complain about it. For example, if I like 70% of something, then despite not liking the 30%, I would watch it and then complain about the bad aspects.

In terms of friendships/relationships though, I love being around people who annoy me and I like doing the same to them :wub: It has to be the right kind of annoyance though.

RoseGoesToYale
1 hour ago, SithGirl said:

I have no idea who any of those people are, but feel free to enlighten me. 

Then you are lucky.

Gary Bettman is the commissioner of the National Hockey League. He's greedy pig who doesn't truly care about hockey. Don Cherry is a hockey commentator who dresses like a clown and bags on almost every team. Doc Emerick is a play-by-play announcer with an annoying voice and even more annoying speech style. And Brad Marchand is a goon who pulls stupid stunts like holding other players in headlocks at the end of overtime when the ref's can't call it or licking players in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve to play with the pros with his behavior.

Traditionalist and religious fundamentalist stuff. They take controlling others to a level that’s the polar opposite of what l believe in so reading up on them can be both infuriating and entertaining. There have been a few times where I was very tempted to troll the comments section on Return of Kings or Biblical Gender Roles. 

Luftschlosseule

A friend of mine is into hate-reading books. So everytime I really dislike a book, I recommend it to her.

Anthracite_Impreza

No, if I hate something I really do want it to just disappear off the face of the earth and never be seen again. I don't find hate or anger fun emotions at all because I feel them so strongly and easily; if I didn't have such bad anxiety to hold me back I'd probably have been locked up for GBH. Most certainly, if I didn't avoid certain topics on here I'd have been banned by now.

So no, I avoid hate triggers as much as I can for my own good.

A colleague and I are in constant bitch-mode about Game of Thrones season 8. Whenever someone mentions GoT, it's instant rage :lol:

Oh god GoT. I've never seen a single second of it. To hell with that.

YESSSSS. My one true love in life. Bitching about stuff that doesn't really matter. Ready Player One, filled vests, how bubble tea isn't sold here, and that one guy from high school who was the king of going off tangents and talking about himself for ages, and that one other guy from university who was a racist, sexist, traditionalist idiot. I'm always begging my friend who still studies there to give me info about his newest shenanigans. Last time I heard of him he had given a speech in a student council meeting about how climate change is a hoax and how he had founded a pro-life society. I miss him so much.

I mean, I feel like I complain a lot, but it is always done tongue-in-cheek and about stuff that really has no meaning. It's just venting. Life sucks, so it's nice to vent that frustration to other things. However, I personally don't consider venting about politics et cetera as "loving to hate." To me it's just discussion. Interesting discussion, sure, but I wouldn't say that for example incels are people I love to hate. I get genuine joy when I complain about Karens who ruined my day at work, but anything more serious than that and it's not fun anymore. Still interesting, but not loving it.

If there was one thing I was sure I was born to do it is Bitch about anything I hate and I love it. Be it anything from the never ending SAO crap to how pathetic I think Disney Live Actions are.

I love watching debunk videos on YouTube. The ones going over religion, conspiracy theories, etc. Thoroughly rationally picking apart things is entertaining. (Not that I hate religion, it just spawns some really dumb stuff)

15 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

I like watching YT videos hating on badly written books, like Onision's 'novels' and 50 Shades of Grey etc. I also enjoy content picking apart EXTREME fundamentalist Christian commentary (like the kind that says women have to have sex even if it hurts them etc) - I just love watching people dissing that kind of thing! 

I do that on GoodReads all the time, esp. on books that everyone seems to love that I just barely got through because it's so poorly written or had some other element which didn't work for me. I also puzzle over just why the book is so beloved (50 Shades is an excellent example).

I used to love to go into comment sections on place like Yahoo News and such because the commentary would be full of amazingly horrible people. Mind you, I do think it's good that most news sites have done away with such sections for very good reasons, but I kind of miss them sometimes ...

7 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

I used to love to go into comment sections on place like Yahoo News and such because the commentary would be full of amazingly horrible people. Mind you, I do think it's good that most news sites have done away with such sections for very good reasons, but I kind of miss them sometimes ...

I have an embarrassing admission: if there's no commentary section on an article or whatever then I almost exclusively won't bother reading it (blush). I love it when people get all riled up arguing about something, haha. Despite how vocal I am on AVEN, I rarely get involved in these heated discussions, I just like reading them :P I don't even have a Reddit account but often end up reading huge Reddit threads where people are just arguing about something that annoys me, hey. Anyway what I'm getting at is that I can totally see how and why you'd miss said commentary sections when they're not there :P (even though yes, it's a good thing sometimes!!! I just wish they were monitored better to remove hardcore hate speech!!)

Those yellow things from despicable me... NO I WON'T EVEN MENTION THE NAME! THEY ARE THE MOST ANNOYING FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT TO EVER PLOP OUT OF SOMEONE'S BRAINLESS ASS!

Oh we can only bitch and moan?...😌

abandoned-account
14 minutes ago, Will-o-the-Wisp said:

Those yellow things from despicable me... NO I WON'T EVEN MENTION THE NAME! THEY ARE THE MOST ANNOYING FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT TO EVER PLOP OUT OF SOMEONE'S BRAINLESS ASS!

This made my day. XD

1 hour ago, Will-o-the-Wisp said:

lol you'd hate it here. Those "yellow things" are quite popular.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:55 PM, Grimalkin said:

Once a month or so I dive into the MRA, Red Pill, MGTOW, Incel, and manosphere messes.

Why would you do this to yourself? I couldn't do this once a month, let alone once.

11 minutes ago, R_1 said:

Why would you do this to yourself? I couldn't do this once a month, let alone once.

Guilty pleasure. Instead of trashy reality TV, it's trashy internet cess pools!

Whore*of*Mensa

How do you all do that? I mean looking at the horrible internet threads...I do it and I can't leave the house, I end up ringing in sick to work because I read bad stuff and suddenly the world seems like a horrible place and I just want my duvet...

I'm only on here against my better judgement because I'm drunk!! 

AceMissBehaving
2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Guilty pleasure. Instead of trashy reality TV, it's trashy internet cess pools!

I’ll admit to sometimes doing the same thing. 

Twisted Tempest

The Red Dead Redemption character, Micah Bell. He's just so unlikable that you can't help but enjoy hating on him. 

I love to hate Camp Camp Season 4 because it disappointed me and put me off a show I used to love. What I call the "potion episode" and the "pee episode" were what put me off.

The "pee episode" was literally titled "Who Peed The Lake" and it's literally just 10 minutes of the characters talking about pee, and who peed in the lake and it shows nearly every main character (except for Campbell and David) peeing in the lake. Nobody wants to watch their favourite (and least favourite) characters peeing in a lake and talking about pee for 10 minutes.

The "potion episode"... well, it's where Campbell drinks some potion that makes him tell the truth. That episode is bad. That's all I'm gonna say about it.

I love the fact that I hate sex :P

Some movies are fun to hate, too. I like watching something like Divergent just to point out everything silly or incoherent, or to defend poor physics/logic/biology not being taken seriously. ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Archived