Washington Becomes First State to Recognize Asexual Awareness Week!

Redbeard

Okay that is really cool!! So the week actually made something happend!!

It would've been amazing if they had changed the colour scheme of the document to purple, but I don't blame them for that. :P

I'm happy, but I also want to know: what took so long? It's 2019.

What i know in Sweden asexuality is not even officially seen as a sexuality  by the law so we have a long time to go.

Sorry to be skeptical, but is that really a genuine document? It just doesn't seem quite right somehow; some of the things it says are not the kind of thing I would expect to be in an official proclamation. 

If would be really good though if it is real, so I hope that I am wrong!

It matches the format on the examples linked from here ( https://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/requests-invites/request-ceremonial-proclamation-greeting-or-letter ). However, I can't find any archive of washington state ceremonial proclamations, so I can't actually tell how accurate it is. But it matches other examples I've found googling, so probably legitamite.

Note that the people who request the proclamation give draft language, although the office an edit it or decline it.

Yeah, they don't put any of their ceremonial proclamations online, unless it's specifically something that's a priority of the Governor and they want to show it off.  Otherwise it's just something that's sent to the group for them to publicize themselves.  I think there'd be too many of them on all manner of obscure things.  My guess is there's a record of them somewhere in a file cabinet hiding in Olympia.

For this one, they did edit it slightly.  Some of the edits made it better (like the change to "LGBTQIA+", where we had just "LGBTQ"), but they also added "openly identified" to the line about 70,000 people, which would be awesome if true, but is unfortunately inaccurate.

10 hours ago, Sally said:

It's a hoax.  

Just curious, but how do you know? I couldn't seem to find anything one way or the other if it's genuine or not.

18 hours ago, daveb said:

Just curious, but how do you know? I couldn't seem to find anything one way or the other if it's genuine or not.

If you cant find any proof that it is genuine then it probably is not unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

If you cant find any proof that it is genuine then it probably is not unfortunately.

👎 Boo! :( 

3 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

Not necessarily. At least we can't state categorically that it's a hoax.

On 10/20/2019 at 2:30 PM, Redbeard said:

Yeah, they don't put any of their ceremonial proclamations online, unless it's specifically something that's a priority of the Governor and they want to show it off.  Otherwise it's just something that's sent to the group for them to publicize themselves.  I think there'd be too many of them on all manner of obscure things.  My guess is there's a record of them somewhere in a file cabinet hiding in Olympia.

And I'm not surprised if there is apparently no online media mention of it; it's about asexuality after all, which doesn't make for a sexy news story. :P 

Personally, I am not judging one way or the other. Could be real or could be fake. Keeping an open mind, until I see some authoritative source that confirms which it is. :) 

1 minute ago, daveb said:

Not necessarily. At least we can't state categorically that it's a hoax.

Hopefully you are right.

I think it's real.  It looks like his signature -- I've seen it on other docs.  

The physical copy arrived in the mail today (finally!), complete in a super-fancy folder!

http://www.seattleacesandaros.org/2019/10/23/more-pictures-of-the-ace-week-proclamation-in-washington/

And here's some details about how we got it (and how you can get one next year!):  http://www.asexualityarchive.com/ceremonial-proclamations/

So it was real!!  Yay thats awesome! 

Archived