In Need of Book Recommendations

Wondrous Stranger

Wondrous Stranger

My mom has been struggling to find good books lately so she's asked me to try to find them for her. When I was a teenager, we read the same kind of books (YA paranormal romance) but my interests are much different now, so I don't really know what to recommend. Some of her favorites are the Fallen series by Lauren Kate, the Marked series by PC Cast, and the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness (although that one isn't YA), and she specifically said she wants something like those. Any recommendations? And do you think it would be better to get the first book of several series so she can decide which one she would prefer to keep reading, or to get her one full series?

Thanks for your input. :)

Please try books by the talented V. E. Schwab and Sarah J. Maas. I also recommend Six of Crows.

Well, I'm currently reading the Adventures of Owl Series. It's about a tomb raider and her dealings with vampires and dragons. It's also a paranormal romance (I won't spoil it). 

This isn't YA, but it seems to have some of the elements you mentioned. The first book is called Owl and the Japanese Circus. 

Another adult fantasy series: The Hallows by Kim Harrison. First book is Dead Witch Walking. 

There's also The Vampire Diaries and Vampire Academy. They're YA and paranormal romance. 

Also: Paranormalcy by Kierstan White. YA and paranormal romance.

I could keep going for awhile....

(Maybe start with the first book of whatever series/trilogies).

She might get a kick out of the Sasha Urban series by Dima Zales. Sasha is a an illusionist who discovers that she's also a seer who finds herself in a world of paranormals who all have agendas. Especially her boss, Nero ... Pretty fast paced and enjoyable for the most part. It's more New Adult than young adult, since Sasha's 24.

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer and Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride. NA. A young man in his early 20s discovers that he's a necromancer and hijinks ensue.

Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron - lots of dragons, magic, and mayhem. NA

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan. Set in the same universe as his Greek/Egyptian/etc. series, these books follow Magnus Chase's journey into the world of the einherjar and living in Valhalla, taking the shape of a fancy hotel in Boston, MA. YA

If she enjoys more complex fair, I highly recommend Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling PNR (paranormal romance) series. Shifters (wolves, cats of all sorts, and other types - including a dolphin so far ... ), Psy (people who have a variety of psychic abilities), and humans living on a parallel Earth together in not so harmonious circumstances. Singh's alphas rock.

And for something totally off the wall: The Supervillainy Saga by C.T. Phipps. Gary Karkofsky decides to become a supervillain ... but with a twist. There is a high body count and things can get a bit graphically violent, but the snark and pop culture references are great.

DarkStormyKnight

I recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell to basically anyone who is into fantasy! It's about 2 magicians bringing magic back to England, written in like an alternate history style. Not YA though.

Also an excellent YA fantasy series is the Young Wizards series, it starts with So You Want to be a Wizard? and the world building in it is amazing!

Brain jack by brian falkner, Tuesday's with Morrie by Mitch Albom, and Defcon one by Joe Weber.

Wondrous Stranger

Thanks for all the responses so far! I'll have to look into all these options to try to decide which ones are best for her.

I would recommend the book Serendipity and Me to anyone. Its about a girl named Sara whose mom died and her dad gets really depressed. She loves cats and has always wanted one. One day a cat is dropped off at her house and she has 5 days to convince her dad to let her keep it. Its really emotional and sad at parts. 

Current Library Clerk here: 

For authors similar to the ones she has read: goodreads.com or fantasticfiction.com

- search the author and you will find other novels they have written/ other authors in the genre. 

For new recommendations: 

- Zombie/Epidemic Dystopia: World War Z by Max Brooks (the book only has the title in common with the movie I promise), Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, Feed by Mira Grant

-Psychological Thriller: The Hollow City (told from the pov of a schizophrenic) and the John Cleaver Series by Dan Wells which begins with I Am Not A Serial Killer.

Random: A Taste for Monsters by Matthew J Kirby (victorian era fiction with Joseph Merrick/Elephant Man)

I have been on a binge of Mira Grant, which is a pseudonym for Seanan McGuire. I have read her Feed series with zombie and journalist topics, and I am currently on her book Middle Game about two teens destined to be gods but are fighting their fate. 

Good Luck!

Archived