Agender and Non-binary Identities

will123

I hadn't thought much about this but it came to mind during an email exchange with a pesrson about asexuality. They were aware of a person who identified as non-binary. Last year I had a meet up with a person who identified as agender.

I hope I don't step on any toes, but are the identities the same or different? If there is a difference would someone explain? Thank you in advance.

:) Just to help clarify with what @CBC already mentioned, non-binary can also include people who identify as more than one gender (e.g. who are bigender, genderfluid, etc.)

^Yup. Some agender people are wary of being classified as non-binary whereas they have no gender at all, but I'm fine with it, it certainly isn't binary stricto sensu. But yeah, agender is way more specific than non-binary. 

Yup, for me agender means feeling very much not like a man, and very much not like a woman.

Non-binary is the umbrella term for agender, bigender, neutrois, demigirl... just any gender identity that does not strictly fall within the binary: 'man' and 'woman'.

Janus the Fox

Non-binary and Agender can be to separate things, Non-binary covers any gender not part of the binary for me, While I am agender myself, I consider it like a 4th gender.  Even though I am, I still consider myself Trans as that my biological body don't match my feminine leaning gender, I'm still agender as I consider myself trans before and after some transition.  Some non-binary and agender being can be better achieved removing as much binary gender sex as possible for me.

Non binary is like being a heretic, while agender is like being an atheist 😺

12 hours ago, RakshaTheCat said:

Non binary is like being a heretic, while agender is like being an atheist 😺

Interesting parallel 😂

It might also be worth noting that some agender people seek the most neutral, un-gendered expression and body possible in order to have little visible connection to genders (example: yours truly). Or not, some are just apathetic to this (closer to the cis-genderless 'type'?) 

Non-binary people in general can do that, obviously, but it's rarer for agender people to want to look like 'both' while they're more like 'neither' or more accurately, 'none'. 

Also, it can count as trans in the broad not-cis definition of the term, but it can sound a bit off to be called trans when you don't have a gender at all~

3 minutes ago, Poe's Creep Meta said:

It might also be worth noting that some agender people seek the most neutral, un-gendered expression and body possible in order to have little visible connection to genders (example: yours truly).

I wouldn't mind looking more neutral, but the thing is, it's kinda hard to do. And I don't think benefits would really offset the hassle, especially for XY, since male sex characteristics aren't really that annoying. Same with society, being seen as a male is very rarely disadvantage, so it's also not huge deal.

Now, if I was XX with annoying big boobs, menstrual cycle, crazy body shape and silly clothes to go with it, then yeah, I would be much more inclined to neutralize it...

2 minutes ago, RakshaTheCat said:

I wouldn't mind looking more neutral, but the thing is, it's kinda hard to do. And I don't think benefits would really offset the hassle, especially for XY, since male sex characteristics aren't really that annoying. Same with society, being seen as a male is very rarely disadvantage, so it's also not huge deal.

Now, if I was XX with annoying big boobs, menstrual cycle, crazy body shape and silly clothes to go with it, then yeah, I would be much more inclined to neutralize it...

Yes, I agree. It was just a generalisation with a hint of personal bias.

Strangely, a masculine-connotated appearance is perceived as more neutral, I think, probably because fashion allows AFABs to follow masculine dress codes and the other way around... and yes, AMAB bodies are more practical I think... but there can also be agender AMABs who present more feminine because of dysphoria, so nothing is universal. 

DuranDuranfan
4 hours ago, RakshaTheCat said:

This. Definitely thinking about reduction surgery and further in the future, a partial hysterectomy.

Archived