Any Fellow Nomadic Lifestyle Adherants out there?

lonewolf Nomad

lonewolf Nomad

Hello All, I am admittedly new here ,but as the Handle implies (Lonewolf Nomad) I am an asexual/ARO man in my 40's who lives and loves the Nomadic Lifestyle. And was wondering if there were any other adventurous souls on the forums here who also can't simply look at a horizon, but find they must see what's over that next rise? I find living the frugal nomadic lifestyle now in my early retirment years to be sooo invigorating.

I love the idea of it, and was homeless for a time in my late teens which made me feel like a nomad confined to one city.  Nowadays I have children so we stay in one place, but I think when they grow up and leave home I may explore over the hills and through the forests like I did when I was growing up in the rainforest.. Or even like.. waking up early in the morning and finding a beach to comb somewhere along a coast way out past the backroads of society.. maybe if I'm lucky a storm will even be raging. NZ is small, so there isn't far to go here..but there are a lot of little corners to explore. And living out of a suitcase was actually one of the most peaceful things I've experienced if I'm honest. :)

2 hours ago, lonewolf Nomad said:

Hello All, I am admittedly new here ,but as the Handle implies (Lonewolf Nomad) I am an asexual/ARO man in my 40's who lives and loves the Nomadic Lifestyle. And was wondering if there were any other adventurous souls on the forums here who also can't simply look at a horizon, but find they must see what's over that next rise? I find living the frugal nomadic lifestyle now in my early retirment years to be sooo invigorating.

Makes me wonder, what kind of places do you want to see? 😺

Also, how do you make it frugal? Living in RV?

lonewolf Nomad

Thanks for the replies,

I live the nomadic lifestyle but am not "homeless" in the "traditional sense".(Though I have been homeless a few times  throughout my life) Since I now live full time in a 1980 GMC Glendale Motorhome.Hence I can live the nomadic lifestyle with all the few creature comforts i desire of home.As of Last month I am now almost entirely off the grid,since being given a 7500 watt Gas Generator. Just me and my dog. My "permanent address" is a parking spot on a friends acreage.(For mail/tax purposes) but I am rarely there.I guess you would call me one of those Nomadic Full Time RVers

There is just something I LOVE about the fact that if I ever get the urge to wander, I can just pack up the lawn furniture,my water purifyer(getting/making a still to purify water collected from the local river systems/ snow soon.) as well as my generator,hook up my Honda Civic to the back of the motorhome and go.Financially I can even afford it since i am both Self employed (artist/writer and general labour contractor) and Semi-retired pensioner.(just hit 40th B-DAY.) I can live frugally because since I only live in a space that it 23ft long,by 8 ft wide, I only have with me what I absolutely need. And am comfortable for the most part living on roughly between 500-800 dollars Canadian /month.(it costs more to power the generator in the winter due to powering my heater)

lonewolf Nomad

Raksasha,

As to places I want to see..honestly I want to see where ever the road takes me,And there are ways to live frugally even in an rv.It's challenging especially as winter sets in but still doable.I just don't spend any more money then I absolutely NEED to.

I am, sort of. Everything I own is packed in 2 suitcases and is at my parents and I haven't had a job since years. I do stay in certain places for months, depending on what adventure I am upto. I just carry a cabin bag and a backpack and a laptop. And if I am traveling abroad, I don't take my laptop and spend most of the time off grid with no internet.

But I am probably going to change the lifestyle soon, I have been sick for sometime and its best that I quit my adventures.

I'm more of a viking raider sort.  Have a home base, then travel out and back from there.    I don't think I'd be comfortable without a home to return to. 

I would LOVE the nomadic lifestyle! Come and go as the common breeze, the silence and the beautiful ambient noise, the adventure and the mundane, the freedom and the commitment.... It's alluring! 😍 I was going to start with a van living situation starting in August, however, I'm in college and my parents are.... not accepting of this idea (honestly, who could blame them ☺️ it was an irrational solution to a problem I had at the time and they presented great reasoning as to why it was a bad idea) but maybe one day down the line when I'm more stable and prepared I'll give it a go.

When I saw this post thought that I would have to make time to reply cause I sort of lived out of my car for awhile and of course I tried to keep it as secret as possible since I knew most of my friends and family would just be totally on my case. Now looking back on that experience I kind of wish I could have kept a diary so I can write a book in the future about just how freeing of an experience it turned out to be and just actually how much I loved having the freedom to wake up somewhere completely and totally new every single day if I chose to do so. Anyways, now a few years later I realize when I share this with some ppl they tend to mostly think I am crazy for having done that. Without writing a whole book here lol, I just want to say when I read your post I felt a sense of jealousy in a way. Its like I enjoy the comforts that having a place can provide, but I keep feeling that if there are no means to travel when you have a place eventually the mundane, routine life just becomes so extremely boring to the point where if you let it can become depressing and I think especially for the creative type of people. So many times in the past, I have thought about how great it'd be to own an RV and just live like that the rest of my life, but sadly I had so many discouraging things from people that I think I stopped thinking that I want to try that lifestyle again. In a way, I keep feeling as if its just cause I am a female most people think in their heads stuff like she can't do that on her own. (even though you'd think we're in the 21st century) and really I would only want to do that completely on my own. Otherwise it just wouldn't make any sense to me. 

8 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Just without the raping and pillaging :P 

Yes.   I'm half Norse descent, half Jewish, so my fantasies tend to be a bit confused - Sailing a long ship into a defenseless coastal village and then charging them above market rates for loans.....   Besides my i have poor circulation in my fingers so i'd need warm mittens - which sort of ruins the whole viking aesthetic (especially if the mittens have bunnies on them).   At least the burning helps that, and fire is good 

For people who did or do enjoy a nomadic lifestyle.  Would you do things very differently if you had a lot of money?  Would it be fancy hotels etc, as you traveled, or is part o the appeal living without that sort of thing?  

1 hour ago, uhtred said:

For people who did or do enjoy a nomadic lifestyle.  Would you do things very differently if you had a lot of money?  Would it be fancy hotels etc, as you traveled, or is part o the appeal living without that sort of thing?  

I find 'lots of money' boring and dull and it makes my life very depressing. Most of the fun/creative things I have done in life has stemmed from lack of money. Regarding fancy hotels.... I have stayed in five star hotels in expensive places like NYC few times. I didn't get the appeal at all and every time I just slept and didn't even bother using their facilities like gym, pool, complimentary expensive alcohol etc. I rather spend the same money for a bed in a cheap hostel with shared living space.

The main appeal for me is the travel community. Most people are friendly, helpful, non judgemental. They dont force you to spend/save like they do, no pressure to do the same activities or sight seeing that they do, no pressure to eat what they eat, no pressure to befriend them etc. Despite being strangers (who sometimes speak broken English) they welcome you to join them in anything that they are planning to do, be it sight seeing, eating, drinking, or whatever the activity they are planning to do. You can choose to leave the said activity anytime, using any excuse- no questions asked and they won't get offended. And they are very accommodating of your needs too, as much as possible considering you are a stranger. And lastly, they are very helpful and understanding.... I have done some mistakes while traveling, very stupid and silly mistakes, but they went to great lengths to help me and never judged me. I get to have some really good heart to heart conversations with people, and no one has judges me for not being in contact with them after (I guess its an asexual's version of one night stand).

Usually I feel pressure from society for being not normal, that I am unmarried, single (and asexual). Even when no one says anything, its in the air- always reminding me that I am not normal. I don't feel this way when I travel and hangout with fellow travelers. A lot of them are lost like me and trying to figure out or are trying to get away from suffocations of society or are just there for adventures.

And I like the life lessons I learn from traveling, I get to see humanity and culture. Strangers (not necessarily travelers, like locals for instance) have been kind to me beyond my expectations 99% of the times (guess its a privilege of being a guest). Despite the language and culture barriers. Compared to family and friends who have failed my expectations at least half the time. I really hope that one day I get a chance to pay it forward.

3 hours ago, Chihiro said:

Most of the fun/creative things I have done in life has stemmed from lack of money.

That's interesting, what kind of things? 😺

16 minutes ago, RakshaTheCat said:

That's interesting, what kind of things? 😺

Lots of little fun things. Sounds lame if I just list them out without contrasting them with the alternate 😅

To elaborate, when I was in college for example, if I had money I would have tried to spend it like others- on alcohol and clubbing. I dont drink, which means only thing left for me to do would be to dance in the club (I like dancing), but I dont relate to a lot of club songs plus people tend to become drunk and disrespectful thus ruining my mood. And then friends would have pressured me to drink or treated me like an outcast for not drinking. Overall, I would have had a miserable experience. But not having much money forced me into looking at other things to do and I found a lot of activities at my college which were fun and free, like 'a neon themed night with marshmallows and chocolate fountain', 'breathing flavored oxygen in temp oxygen bar', 'lawn movie nights' etc.

Few big things that ended up having lifelong impact are- the average college I chose over a better college because it was free (and turned out to be fun- thats the college with fun activities that I listed), ballroom dancing (learnt for free and so much better than club dancing), camping (my first attempt to solo travel with little money), backpacking/nomadic lifestyle, letting a stranger take me out in a foreign city (not a date-fully platonic experience, one of the best I ever had).

I've studied nomadic lifestyles.

I would try but I'm too sensitive to cold, heat and UV.

So maybe travel in a cooler area like inside of costa rica where it stays around 70's to 50's every day of the year. I guess.

5 hours ago, Chihiro said:

if I had money I would have tried to spend it like others-

Heh, I'm definitely an abomination then, because I spend money completely unlike others... 😸

Anyway, glad everything worked out well for you!

11 hours ago, Chihiro said:

if I had money I would have tried to spend it like others- on alcohol and clubbing.

Why would you do that when you can spend money on books, computer games, and junk food? 😧

4 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Why would you do that when you can spend money on books, computer games, and junk food? 😧

I am not into computer games much, chips is my fav junk food which I eat all the time and is already a part of my food budget (and is available in all the countries whew :wub:), I hate ebooks with the same intensity as I love physical books but I knew I had to move so bought very few. I also can't easily part from my favorite books which complicates moving (whew, it was an achievement to move my Calvin and Hobbes collection half way across the world without breaking my back, it weighed over 20 pounds 😅)

DarkStormyKnight

I'm definitely not a Nomad but I do enjoy travelling around, my goal is to live in as many different places as I can. I think it's a really neat lifestyle!

7 hours ago, Chihiro said:

I am not into computer games much, chips is my fav junk food which I eat all the time and is already a part of my food budget (and is available in all the countries whew :wub:), I hate ebooks with the same intensity as I love physical books but I knew I had to move so bought very few. I also can't easily part from my favorite books which complicates moving (whew, it was an achievement to move my Calvin and Hobbes collection half way across the world without breaking my back, it weighed over 20 pounds 😅)

Haha yes I was being a bit silly anyway, I more meant just.. why would anyone spend money on alcohol and clubbing when there are much better more entertaining things to spend it on :P I totally know what you're saying about ebooks though.. but I've sadly had to give in and buy a few when I can't afford a copy of the physical book :c Being in NZ delivery costs make some books too expensive to acquire if they're all the way in the UK or whatever, but then the ebook version is like $4 so I've had to stoop to that level sometimes. /sad.

and heh, I know what you're saying about having so many books in your backpack. My class went on a 7 day camping trip when I was about 13 and I took my entire Harry Potter collection in my pack.. I had to take out a lot of the food I was meant to be carrying to fit the books in and my pack was heavier than even the teacher's pack. Fortunately I hadn't discovered A Song of Ice and Fire at that point because they're a lot bigger than the Harry Potter books, heh, I probably wouldn't have survived the trip if I'd taken them instead :P

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for fellow  asexual  who LOVES  road trip travel

*** Fulltime or weekend nomad/roamer/wanderers /roadie/ backpackers 

**** has a driver license  and can drive van or RV

*** Lives in United States  near California or in California

** has time to travel no job, children  or school  in the way

Skittles87
On 10/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, lonewolf Nomad said:

Semi-retired pensioner.(just hit 40th B-DAY.

You can claim a pension at 40? OK, I'm moving to Canada. I bet it's a great place to be a nomad - so much space, and so much wilderness.

I like to think I have an adventurous soul - the idea of exploring a new place every week sounds blissful. But I do not have adventurous nerves, and find that I need the security of a regular paycheck, which generally means staying in one place for work.

Archived