• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December

This poll is closed to new votes

What months make up each of the seasons for you?

we learned in school that winter is nov - jan, spring is feb to april (and that st. brigid's day on 1st feb was the start of spring), summer is may to july and autumn is august to october

but i think the best is winter is nov - feb , spring is march & april, summer is may - august and autumn is sept & october

i know this all depends on where you live so

Horse Ham Radio

I was taught this:

Winter: December, January, February

Spring: March, April, May

Summer: June, July, August

Autumn: September, October, November

Although since moving to Scotland the seasons are now more along the lines of:

Winter: October, November, December, January, February, March, April

Spring: May, June

Summer: July... sometimes.

Autumn: August, September

Winter for me is: Late november to early march.

Spring is early march to late May

Summer is late may to Mid October.

Fall is mid october to mid November.

This basically sums it up:

Season     Average Temperature     Lows                Highs

Winter              48                                  High 30's          Low 50's

Spring               61                                  High 40's          mid 70's

Summer           88                                   high 70's         high 90's

Fall                     65                                  Mid 50's           Low 70's

Winter: December to April

Spring : May, June and most of July

Summer: like 3 days of July, and 5 of August

Autumn : the rest of August up to November.

Born and raised in Los Angeles... winter is more of an abstract concept and visits up to the mountains to see that snow stuff.

If it is raining, it is basically spring. I mean, January and February are "winter", but it is indistinct. The vegetation doesn't change, it just gets rainy and a little cool. The difference between winter and spring isn't huge.

Summer is April to October.

My favorite time is still Fall, mostly October/November. It doesn't rain much, but the wind picks up and it gets cooler (unfortunately, fire season).

Winter: December-March

Spring: March-May

Summer: June-August

Autumn: September-November

That’s based on my US (New Jersey) knowledge (official first days of each season) and weather experience.  

Around here it's usually either spring or autumn, depending on the current weather. Sometimes it changes several times per day. Sometimes there's also a bit of winter or summer, but that typically doesn't last more than a few days.

As for the strict definition, it depends if I go by the astronomical or the climatological one, but I find the climatological one more practical, so it's DJF, MAM, JJA and SON.

I voted for what I learned (same as nameinagame), but how it is here lately:

Winter: December-February

Spring: March-May (beginning of May really)

Summer: Late May-September

Fall: October-November-ish

From my experience, Fall and Spring where I lived in the US were just "winter in the morning, summer around mid-day, then winter again at night" so it never felt like we had an actual spring or fall because you were always still cold or hot, or maybe finding an hour or two in there where you were actually comfortable. 

How I was always taught:

Summer- June-August

Fall- September-November

Winter- December-February

Spring- March-May

Of course where I live it feels like summer until at least October, fall is also known as fire season, and you ain’t seeing any snow during winter unless you’re in the mountains.

3 hours ago, nameinagame de tepellicker said:

This is how I view the seasons.

I live in Texas though, so it feels more like when is summer and fall, with little to no actual spring and winter. But when I think of the seasons this is how I divide them. I'll admit that at least half of that is based on the aesthetics associated with those months.

Violet of the Stars
1 hour ago, SithGirl said:

From my experience, Fall and Spring where I lived in the US were just "winter in the morning, summer around mid-day, then winter again at night" so it never felt like we had an actual spring or fall because you were always still cold or hot, or maybe finding an hour or two in there where you were actually comfortable. 

Same lol. I'm a New Englander, so I would say spring is from March-May. However, March could be considered winter, so could November. 

Since I couldn't break it down according to the solstices and equinoxes and the official dates of the seasons, which fall about 2/3s of the way into a month I chose the closest I could get by month. Which seems to be close enough for the climate where I now reside.

I also grew up in southern California and @Zagadka's description is accurate for that part of the world.

Of course it will be different for people in the southern hemisphere. :P (hoping to see some patterns for that, too) :) 

5 hours ago, nameinagame de tepellicker said:

I was taught this:

I was taught the same thing but it ends up being mostly winter. 

Winter: Late October through April 

Spring: A tiny bit of April through the first half of June 

Summer: The second half of June through the first half of August 

Autumn(fall): Late August through Early October 

Minnesota has some crazy seasons and temperature changes. Here are some of the records. 

Highest: 114 F (45.6 C) 

Coldest: -60 F (-51.1 C) 

Most dramatic change in one day: 71 F (39 C) 

The only time The Four Seasons mattered was late December back in '63. What a very special ti-

With the changes of the seasons happening towards the ends of their respective months, and with the seasonal weather taking some time to change to what the season should feel like, I just round the seasons to the next month.

Jan- Mar: Winter

Apr- Jun: Spring

Jul- Sept: Fall (Or Plummet with how the weather suddenly dropped tens of degrees)

Oct- Dec: Fall

Not a single voter from the southern hemisphere yet! 😮

I went with

March - May

June - August

September - November

December - February

Those seem to roughly match the times of:

"I'm exhilarated by all the blooming flowers"

"I'm basking in the glory of the sun"

"I'm marveling at the colorful (and often falling) leaves"

"I'm enjoying the brisk air and atmosphere of coziness" (also Holiday season, which is clearly the best time of the year!!!)

When I was a kidlet December, January and February were winter, but generally winter seems to start later and go on later. So I say Jan to March. April and May are spring, June through September Summer, and the rest Autumn. (with the proviso that summer seems to start in the middle of May and finish in the middle of September.) 

But there are times when we go through all four seasons in around fifteen minutes :P:P

Mind this year we had 22°c in February, two years ago we had a day maximum of - 5°c in March, and I've known snow in May 

Where I live in the mountains:

April-May = Spring

June-mid July- Dry Summer

Mid-July-mid-Sep = wetter summer / monsoon season

Sep - Oct = fall

Nov-March = Winter.  We have snow cover for at least five continuous months

I answered dec-feb winter, march-may spring, june-aug summer, sept-nov autumn.

But If going where I live: Winter is Nov-Mid April. Summer is Mid April-October. That's it lol.

It was 18C out there yesterday. So summer is from March to October now? Fuck this.

Just now, Mysticus Insanus said:

No Aussies, Kiwis, South Americans, or Africans voting yet, I see. 😄

Maybe 1? (very small percentage so graph looks empty) :) 

May has always felt like summer to me. It throws off the even balance of seasons, but I'm from an area where it feels like summer most of the year anyway.

It depends on where you live.

For me, we have Christmas in Summer and spend Christmas swimming in pools, going to the beach, having barbeques, etc. This way of celebrating Christmas will always feel like "true Christmas" to me personally.

It depends entirely on where you live.

For me, where I live, I think of March through May as spring, June through August as summer, September through mid-November as fall, and mid-November through February as winter. If I had to put November solidly in one category or another for the whole month, I'd go with winter - it's typically freezing and possibly snowing from the second week on. I could also see an argument for at least the first half of March in winter... but I'm calling it spring anyway.

• 11 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived