is anyone else also experiencing constant problems with glasses?

Octopus98

Hey, this is a very off-topic thing but I have no other forum to post about it on.

I am very short-sighted and I need to wear my glasses pretty much all the time (I am not able to wear contacts because my eyes get irritated because of them).

I had no problems with them for 10 years, however things started to go downhill in April. Suddenly, my glasses started to slide down all the time. I took them to an optical shop and asked for adjustment. The staff member was very friendly, but he made the glasses way too tight. - my head hurt after wearing them. So I went to another shop, where another staff member tried to adjust the frames - this time, they were too loose and kept on sliding down again. Three optical shops later, the eyeglass temples started to crack. After three months of me bending them over and over, they broke and now I need to use adhesive tape to keep them together.

This whole problem started to take a mental toll on me - I know that it sounds silly, and I can't understand why my biggest life problem concerns something as small as a pair of eyeglasses. But I am crying on a weekly or even daily basis because it's hard to see a solution. Sometimes I feel like I will always feel miserable because I will never be able to find a right pair, and my eyeglasses will always either cause me pain, or slide down.

Plus, it is difficult to tell people why I am constantly sad or frustrated - if I say that I experience panic attacks related to eyeglasses, people might not treat me seriously. My therapist does treat me seriously, and we are trying to work through that, but sometimes I feel so isolated from others.

After my glasses broke, I was searching online for more information and I discovered that eyeglasses actually have a size. I checked my size (the small numbers printed on your frames) and I was so happy, I thought that I found the solution. Today I collected my new pair and again, the problem came back - the size seems to be all right, however for some reason the eyeglasses temples are bent at different degrees (they're not parallel at all). This makes me feel weird again. I am going to return this pair and search for a new one. I am very scared that I will buy an uncomfortable pair again. I am afraid that I will go to an optical store, try a new pair, decide that it's the right fit, and then collect it, and realize that it hurts me again.

All I want is just to find a pair of eyeglasses which don't slide down and don't dig into my head. Is it really that hard? Why is this so hard?

Does anyone else also have a similar problem? Or maybe you absolutely love wearing glasses, and you've always been able to find a right pair?

I've never really had an issue with fit, but finding a pair of glasses that look good on me is soooo hard. All the lenses are too small. I never thought I had a particularly large head, but I guess I just have a wide face that dwarfs every pair of glasses it comes across.

Not to mention, my face shape is somehow both square and round. If you have a round face, they tell you to wear square glasses. If you have a square face, they tell you to wear round. If you have both, well... sucks to be you!

The only piece of advice I have (that you may have already tried) is ordering online from one of those cheap glasses places. It means you can try several and they're only $30ish a piece, so it won't break the bank. You just need to know your prescription and your pupillary distance (my optometrist wouldn't give it to me-- not going to her again-- so I measured it myself and it worked). 

If you want to give it a shot, I have a coupon to give to new customers for Firmoo.com.

i've always had a terrible relationship with glasses. i usually can't find ones that 1. stay on my face/fit me and 2. look kinda decent. like my eyesight is bad enough that i should be wearing them all the time, i just kinda choose to go mostly blind instead (doesn't help that i usually opt for seats in the back of every classroom i go to). have you ever tried contacts instead of glasses? i've never given them a shot myself, but i know a ton of people that really like that option. i'm sorry it's been such an awfully frustrating experience! i really hope that you have the best of luck finding something that works for you!

My last pair of glasses slid to the tip of my nose gradually over multiple times of the day and I can agree that it can be pretty irritating to deal with on a day-to-day basis. To make sure this didn't happen to my new pair (which I got in August), I had them adjust them initially then stayed awhile and shook my head around, looked up and down slowly and then sharply, and a bunch of other things. I didn't leave until they were fitted in a tight yet comfortable manner. For the most, part they fit quite well, however, any bit of lotion or sweat on my face can lead to them sliding down, but not as bad as my last pair. I'm use to it though due to the fact that I've been wearing glasses for a while now (about 13 years). Overall, I like wearing glasses and them sliding down slowly is just apart of the glasses experience. 😎

Every single frame has a different fit, so you have to try a lot of them. After years of wearing glasses with various degrees of comfort, I finally got an almost perfect pair last year. I found out that combined plastic/metal frames fit me best, because you can adjust them in various ways (and are still comfortable on the nose, unlike full metal frames with the little plastic 'wings' on the nose bridge).

One of the problems I have is that one of my ears is a bit further back than the other, so the frame legs need to be a slightly different length. I had full plastic frames for 7 years before this, and those always either slid off my nose or were slightly skewed on my face, because they couldn't be adjusted properly, but with my current pair of glasses it seems to finally work out ;) .

Yeah I’ve had problems with glasses sliding off. I mostly wear contacts now, but once in a while I’ll either forget to put them in or I won’t have time to put them in while I’m getting ready for work so I wear the spare glasses I keep in my bag, and I have to keep pushing them back on my face to keep them from sliding off. It can get pretty infuriating.

I've generally been alright. I've found that the opticians I've been to have been very careful about how they measure me so they can make the frames. I mean, sometimes they slide a little but not too much. As for frame, I've discovered if I go to my opticians on a Sunday, the sales assistants are usually quite bored and therefore very keen to use me as a glasses model. Obviously, they want to make a sale but I've gotten the impression they also are just glad to have something to do, so I've generally gotten styles that suit me. 

Internetlionboy

Yeah my glasses definitely slide down and I have been planning to get new ones since I need to upgrade my pair as I've had this pair for a year now gshdfjdh

Thanks so much for such quick responses - I totally didn't expect it.

I can't wear contacts (at least for now) because my eyes tend to hurt after wearing them.

It's definitely good to see that I am not the only one struggling

Several years ago I had terrible problems with a new pair of glasses. They were either too tight, or too loose. Luckily I was able to return them and get a different pair. Unfortunately the place I bought them from used someone else's prescription for my lenses and didn't believe me when I said I thought it was the wrong prescription. They were yelling at me that I didn't understand how glasses worked. I've worn glasses since I was 6. I ended up going to a different shop that eventually helped me get a full refund and my insurance benefit back. People treated me like I was silly to be upset. The problem with the prescription was most evident when I was driving at night. I could have gotten in a really bad accident because of them. My advice is to go to a lot of different places, and see where the people make you the most comfortable. I have a really hard time finding frames because of my prescription and the shape of my nose (I have a high, narrow bridge). Anyway, the place I go now has made arrangements for me to meet with their frame rep when they come to the clinic. They have hundreds of frames and are really good at helping people find frames that fit right. You have to ask if they are willing to set up a meeting for you. It may take a month or so to get it arranged, but it is worth it if you have a lot of problems. I totally understand why you are upset, and your feelings are justified even if everyone acts like they aren't. I hope you can find a different counselor because the one that you have now doesn't sound that good (or they aren't really dependent on glasses).

DarkStormyKnight

Mine slide around a lot, I tend to deal with this by bending them myself and trying to hit that sweet spot where it isn't too tight and doesn't slip around. It's hard though, I think I've just gotten used to a certain amount of slippage.

Archived