Ace Gardeners

Mysterywriter221

Mysterywriter221

Who else is a gardener here? What are you growing? 

My tomato, cucumber, and banana pepper plants are dying off but my brussel sprouts are going... Well, they're going. The sprouts are smaller than my smallest fingernail but the plant is still alive. 

:) Hi. Here is AVEN's gardening thread.

I'm trying to grow fruit trees, like apple, orange, peach, etc., but they're too young right now and haven't grown any fruit, yet. Only my apple trees seem to be doing well, more healthy-looking; the other trees just look like they've died or are dying, but it's possible that they're just hibernating for the season and will start growing new leaves in the spring, again.

Internetlionboy

I don't have anything growing unfortunately but I'd love to start my own garden with vegetables and flowers someday aaaa

Mysterywriter221
10 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

:) Hi. Here is AVEN's gardening thread.

I'm trying to grow fruit trees, like apple, orange, peach, etc., but they're too young right now and haven't grown any fruit, yet. Only my apple trees seem to be doing well, more healthy-looking; the other trees just look like they've died or are dying, but it's possible that they're just hibernating for the season and will start growing new leaves in the spring, again.

Did their leaves turn black before they dropped? I had an apple tree, a dahlia, and a cherry tree do that and I have no idea what caused it. 

I'm building my own custom made greenhouse since most greenhouses are overpriced IMHO.

I'll be growing spices, mints, mosquito repelling plants, and plants to reduce humidity.

(I kill everything I try to grow. Please help!)

Mysterywriter221
33 minutes ago, Member114264 said:

I'm building my own custom made greenhouse since most greenhouses are overpriced IMHO.

I'll be growing spices, mints, mosquito repelling plants, and plants to reduce humidity.

How big is your greenhouse?

Mysterywriter221
19 minutes ago, wyrdwyrm said:

What are you interested in growing?

Just now, Mysterywriter221 said:

What are you interested in growing?

Ideally, I'd love to keep fresh basil in my house. I've never quite figured out how to keep it alive, though, and the only location I have is a west-facing window that may not get enough sunshine in the first place.

I made a raised bed this year and got to do a lot of gardening for the first time. I grew some spices: 3 types of basil, parsley, cilantro and mint. I also grew a lot of flowers. I'm especially proud of my short's aster, osteospermum, and delphinium.

Mysterywriter221
2 minutes ago, wyrdwyrm said:

Ideally, I'd love to keep fresh basil in my house. I've never quite figured out how to keep it alive, though, and the only location I have is a west-facing window that may not get enough sunshine in the first place.

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head to me. You might want to invest in a small LED grow light. 

4 minutes ago, Mysterywriter221 said:

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head to me. You might want to invest in a small LED grow light. 

I also can never seem to get the moisture levels right - either I do too much or too little. What does basil prefer?

I once tried to grow garlic in a greenhouse. It all died.

I'm not much of a gardener, but my stepmom is growing tomatoes and bell peppers, and they're going...ishly. We've had to move them inside for the winter, and the leaves are dry and the pepper got infested with tiny white bugs, which dad 'drowned' with liberal application of water from a spray bottle. 

I'm more interested in gathering wild food myself...and a surprising number of my local area's favorite decorative plants are wild food. Wild Cherry, Mountain ash, rose hips. And a bunch of our weeds too...plantain(herbal), dandelion and sow-thistle, we have chamomile growing in our ditches and alleys!

And...I *do* have a favorite gardening video, which I will just leave here because...this guy is great.

Renagade Gardener

Mysterywriter221
11 minutes ago, wyrdwyrm said:

I also can never seem to get the moisture levels right - either I do too much or too little. What does basil prefer?

Basil prefers moist, well drained soil. Water it when the soil feels dry to the touch. Try to not get the leaves wet when you water it. 

Mysterywriter221
13 minutes ago, Duke Memphis said:

I once tried to grow garlic in a greenhouse. It all died.

What zone do you live in? 

Mysterywriter221
4 minutes ago, Scottthespy said:

I'm not much of a gardener, but my stepmom is growing tomatoes and bell peppers, and they're going...ishly. We've had to move them inside for the winter, and the leaves are dry and the pepper got infested with tiny white bugs, which dad 'drowned' with liberal application of water from a spray bottle. 

I'm more interested in gathering wild food myself...and a surprising number of my local area's favorite decorative plants are wild food. Wild Cherry, Mountain ash, rose hips. And a bunch of our weeds too...plantain(herbal), dandelion and sow-thistle, we have chamomile growing in our ditches and alleys!

And...I *do* have a favorite gardening video, which I will just leave here because...this guy is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mqg8Af5U8A

If you see the white bugs again, try using insecticidal soap. They attacked my tomatoes this summer and it was a pain getting rid of them. 

I'm so jealous you have all that stuff growing wild near you! Where do you live? 

I love Jeb now! Such drama!

1 hour ago, Mysterywriter221 said:

How big is your greenhouse?

10 by 12 feet.

5 minutes ago, Mysterywriter221 said:

If you see the white bugs again, try using insecticidal soap. They attacked my tomatoes this summer and it was a pain getting rid of them. 

I'm so jealous you have all that stuff growing wild near you! Where do you live? 

I love Jeb now! Such drama!

I live in Canada, in the middle of a swath of the Boreal forest, an area with one of the higher bio-diversities of flora, contrasted with a really low ratio of actively deadly plants, though we have a ton that will make you sick. Other plants I can pick in my own neighborhood include goldenrod, cattail, thistle, clover, I found an oak tree, and I think there's a hawthorn near me. Pretty sure the bush that's slowly eating my bus stop is a Saskatoon bush too. If I walk to the nearby creek I can also find a bunch of ferns and look for mushrooms. Edible mushrooms with no poisonous lookalikes that live in my area include chicken of the woodsbear's head tooth, and western giant puffballs.

You can also technically eat the inner bark from a couple of trees that grow around here, but to do that you have to peel the outer bark off, and that hurts the tree, so you only do that in emergencies or if you're already cutting down the tree. Also fairy ring mushrooms are apparently edible, but NOT if they're anywhere near a road, because they absorb the harmful emissions from cars.

I started to put plants out on my balcony and have major plans but I need to buy some things first which arnt cheap but so far I have a few things growing, no fruits or vegetables just flowers and plants. I would like to get into herbs as well.

I've always had one of those on off curiousity things with it. Lately I've been staring at my backyard, thinking of ways to revive it, maybe chuck in some herbs somewhere and so forth. But that involves money I don't have at the moment.

Neutral Charge
8 hours ago, wyrdwyrm said:

funny =))) me to!

But I'm not going experiment with catnip again.

The last time I grew catnip it almost spreaded out 2 feet within one and a half months time, attracted male cats which as you know have smelly urine, and Bruce and Shelly were constantly high as a kite.

10 hours ago, Mysterywriter221 said:

What zone do you live in? 

I don't think it had to do with any zones. Everyone in the class had a plant to grow, and I was the one who failed the most miserably.

54 minutes ago, Duke Memphis said:

I don't think it had to do with any zones. Everyone in the class had a plant to grow, and I was the one who failed the most miserably.

I think @Mysterywriter221 was refering to USDA or similar climatology maps.

My zone ranges from Zones 9b to 10b (The coldest it goes to ranges from 25 to 40 °F).

Technically it works like this, Let's say you have a plant that'll survive to 30 degrees, that means you have to be at 9b/10a or above for a strict majority of the time to make the plant be able to live. If not you need to put shielding or bring it indoors.

1 hour ago, Member114264 said:

I think @Mysterywriter221 was refering to USDA or similar climatology maps.

My zone ranges from Zones 9b to 10b (The coldest it goes to ranges from 25 to 40 °F).

Technically it works like this, Let's say you have a plant that'll survive to 30 degrees, that means you have to be at 9b/10a or above for a strict majority of the time to make the plant be able to live. If not you need to put shielding or bring it indoors.

I'm just really bad at taking care of plants.

14 hours ago, Neutral Charge said:

funny =))) me to!

5 hours ago, Duke Memphis said:

I'm just really bad at taking care of plants.

I think some people have a knack for it, and then there are those of us who don't. :D  I always say my green thumb is radioactive: either the plant will grow out of control in a way I don't want, or it'll die a horrible death. ☠️☠️

DarkStormyKnight

I have some green succulent kids! I used to rescue abandoned succulents that I found around my college and now I have several haha.

Oh man, I love gardening. Its sad this time of year when I can only keep a few things growing indoors.

I'm in zone 8-9. This year I've been growing Jalapenos, Hungarian Hot Wax chillis and Apache chillis indoors.

Outdoors I had some lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and potatoes going.

There's a crabapple tree, cherry tree and blueberry bush as well but its normally the birds and the wasps that get those.

I didn't get to harvest a lot this year though, lost a lot of stuff to slugs despite all the copper tape and beer traps :(

Some of the chilli plants became infested with aphids too, so I've started keeping them away from open windows now.

If anyone knows how to deal with pests without spraying pesticides/insecticides, let me know - I'll love you forever lol

Archived