Asexual and gray-a women, how do you feel about wearing make-up?

Baranduin Brewster

I've only worn make for special occasions; usually just light eye shadow. I prefer to keep my youthful looks and my pores unclogged, even if I still get mistaken for someone in their early 20's. 

• Like 1
3rdkyuproblems

I don't wear much makeup, largely down to laziness ... weddings are the only real exception to this rule 😉

I'm genderfluid but on feminine days and some genderless days, I love wearing makeup. I feel like it's more of an artistic expression than something I feel pressured to do. I don't wear it for others, I just like putting it on because it relaxes me. Plus, it makes me pass a bit better on female days.

Edited by Valentine_
Clarification

Intresting.. Tbh I've had those same thoughts before,,

When I was a teen I became frustrated, because I couldn't understand why someone would do that to themselves.. It can't be healty for the skin, it needs loads of time and I felt like you are covering yourself... I blamed the society and I hated it... I wore make up for special occasions only.

When I began to work I wore make-up ar first, but I don't anymore now. Even when I work with customers and it's fine. 

But I wear make up nowdays, oitside of work. When I feel like it. Mostly for parying tho. I'm not wearing make-up to attract others attention, but for myself lol

I love to style myself (thanks to kpop lmao) i wear various kinds of fashion and sometimes make up is just part of it. 

I love eyeshadow, as long as it's not to much. 

I'm pretty happy about that point of view now 😆

I don't wear makeup most of the time; my style in general is pretty can't-be-bothered, with jeans and (often men's or unisex) t-shirts, and earrings marketed for children (I totally rock pineapple earrings!). I work as a cashier at a retail store, and nobody cares much what I wear as long as I look clean and presentable.

But when I want to dress up a little, I like some light mineral makeup; some subtle eyeshadow and eyeliner (it's fun to coordinate it with my outfit), and a lipstick that isn't too dark. The eyeshadow is usually barely visible (it probably doesn't help that my eyebrows are closer to my eyes than average), but it's shimmery and I like to feel shimmery 😁. It's not about luring the guys; it's just for my own enjoyment, like wearing tie-dye shirts.

• Like 1

I've found that in the ace community, this draws more polar views than non-ace. But I'll tell you how I feel about makeup and I don't expect many to agree with me, I'll do what makes me happy, thank you!

I love make up but I don't love the amount of time and effort it takes. I also dislike it when using particular shades and colours you're very restricted to last minute wardrobe changes. I wear it for work as I want to look my upmost best. People treat me better and if I am dealing with people who judge on looks, that does not bother me. I also judge on looks. You may argue that's wrong but that's what I do, and likely I won't stop.

Although my employer does not request that I wear makeup, I know they want me to, and that's fine with me. I do wear makeup socially as well as my girlfriends also make an effort. 

• Like 1
fooledbysecrecy

i hate how the whole cosmetic industry is branded 'beauty'! that being said, i do wear make up, especially some sort of colour correcting foundation and/or powder, my face is really quite red most of the time (many reasons: i'm always too hot, social clumsiness and blushing, rosacea (undiagnosed but symptoms match) and on top of that people often make comments like 'oh you're very red' yeah thanks i didn't feel my entire face is burning🙄) so i feel mentally better if i know it's covered. though my skin is quite problematic and most of the time i just sweat it off lmao.

when it comes to other things i like putting on colourful  eye shadow/mascara/lipstick sometimes, to me make up is about self expression and fashion, i like to match it with my outfit etc. i rarely have time or energy for this tho.

but yeah it's nothing to do with looking 'attractive' to me.

Personally, I wear makeup for the creative fun of it but I do mostly agree with the annoying stress and expectations that comes with that.

• Like 1
atpeacewithmyself

I wear makeup because I like how it makes me look. It has nothing to do with trying to look attractive for anyone else. 

speak_of_me_as_I_am

I hardly ever wear makeup because 

• I don’t usually have time to put any on before school 
  • I don’t trust myself with certain cosmetics 
  • I don’t feel like I need it most days anyway

However, I do wear some for special occasions (school dances, shows I’m in, etc).

DolphinLover22

Reading this post just made me realize why I never liked wearing makeup 😂 I never really cared if guys found me attractive for my looks. I haven't used makeup since I was a kid (and the only times I did it was required for dance stuff). I don't think society should make women feel like they need makeup. Even my parents prodded me to wear makeup saying I would never get a guy. Well, here I am, age 22, with a boyfriend who accepts me for who I am 😝

• Like 1

I hate makeup.  Maybe if when I am with my man and it's a special occasion, I might try some lipstick because it can make me feel more attractive.  I have hardly worn lipstick and face powder in my entire life.  Years ago somebody put mascara on me.  Mascara got in my glasses and was annoying.  A lot of makeup has toxic ingredients. 

I don't care for nail polish or earrings either.  I didn't want to get my ears pierced but family talked me into it when I was 11.  It was extremely painful.  The Asian person in a sewing area in a store did it without any numbing cream or ice!  I hardly wore earrings.  By 18, I stopped because it wasn't my thing and I was getting infections.  I hate society's pressures on women and girls to look beautiful.  

• Like 2

I don't get why people wear makeup. It's a lot of fuss and tbh I don't think it makes much difference to how you look. I don't wear any (if you can't already tell) but I do not think it is because of my sexuality I think it is just because of my personality

• Like 1

I think I started wearing makeup at 12 or 13, by wearing lipstick, because it made me fit in better at least outwardly. Soon I discovered foundations and started wearing it to hide acne etc. I have a bit of a skin picking compulsion so it made me feel better in general.

But I used to hate it. To the point I would put "makeup!" in those likes/dislikes lists we did when we were like 10 lol. I just found it to be so pointless. Really annoying tbh. Money spent, time wasted, useless. Plus I hated getting makeup for birthday or having people tell me at peak age 10 that I should wear more makeup. etc.

I'm 26 and to this day I go to my job wearing the same kind of makeup I wore to elementary school: foundation and lipstick. I found out it makes you look a lot more lively and "standard person" and doesn't require much time, effort or hand coordination, so I do it and brush my hair on the bus while commuting. Anything else like countouring, eyeshadow, eyeliner etc. requires more time and effort to look good. I don't see the point for blush or eyebrows makeup really.

But the catch is, although I only wear the very basic on a daily basis and buy the cheapest kinds of makeup, I do have a big makeup collection (by "big" I mean I have at least 5+ shadow pallettes, 5+ blushes, 20+ lipsticks, etc. It's not insane but ... well, except for the 20+ eyeliner pens it's not insane - but it's still big for someone who wears only the very same lipstick and foundation daily) which I blame entirely on my love of cosplaying and ultimately of alternative Japanese fashion (for those of you who know, anything from gyaru/larme to visual kei to fairy kei and even a bit of lolita is ok) - I would watch artistic makeup to tutorials on Youtube and one thing led to another. I grew to become appreciative of cosmetics, I enjoy the feeling and smell of some of it on my face and of course I love things that make your face cleaner because I'm still a bit prone to acne and skin picking so it feels great to put my hands on my face and realize there's nothing to pick on. But, because I don't get to practice a lot, I'm not really great at applying it so it mostly sits there on my desk really cutely so and eventually I may watch makeup tutorials and decide to fiddle with it again lol.

In regards to it btw, I am on a break now and I work on a very ... high-responsibility kind of job; I happen to be the youngest person there and it's bad because I look like 10 years younger, and it's so much worse when there's acne on my face etc. So I decided to try and apply some of my gyaru makeup techniques on a daily basis, just so I'll be used to it when I go back to work, to have fun with my favorite styles and also to spend some of my makeup before the expiration date. :P Let's see how long it will take.

Edited by Guest

IDK if I'm a "woman" perse. I don't identify as any gender (not even agender). Guess best description you could give me is cis-genderless.

However, since I do exhibit female characteristics, so I do wear makeup sometimes.

I like it because I like to look pretty. Sometimes I wear it because society says I have to in order to look professional.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I enjoy wearing make-up too much. It helps me to look better and to hide my flaws. 

I won't stop wearing it unless I'm dying.

• Like 1
gemrisingbitch

I personally use it when I feel up to expressing myself more, but a lot of the time I don’t wear it. However, I am a demigirl and a femme grey/demisexual lesbian.

• Like 1
On 10/15/2019 at 6:34 AM, gray-a girl said:

You may even be asked to wear it directly. I had a business mentor who essentially put me down for not wearing make-up

Gee whiz. What I don't get is that makeup isn't necessary for the successful functioning of the workplace (and people might lose a few minutes going into the bathroom to check/fix their makeup), yet there is an implicit expectation that women wear it.

The only time I would willingly wear makeup is if I were doing a dance performance and the audience had to see my face from afar. In my everyday life, I don't wear it, and at formal events, I don't wear it. I won't even wear it to the career fair this spring, because why would a chemistry nerd who has way better things to do (including an internship to get) want to spend any more time on her face than is absolutely necessary? Answer: I wouldn't. I don't even use any face cream, moisturizer, etc. That's how little I care. I look fine without any of that, so I don't use it.

I do wear hairspray every time I do my hair in a bun (which is a lot), but that's just to keep the flyaways down.

Asexual of Myth & Legend

I don't wear makeup most of the time mostly due to pure laziness.🤣 Doing my makeup every day would require me to wake up that much earlier and frankly I'd rather use those few extra minutes to sleep. I generally only wear it if I'm going somewhere, or if there's a possibility I might be photographed

I also just don't like makeup in general. I don't like the way it feels on my skin, heavy liquid foundations feel like paint on my face. I don't like the way it looks, I feel like the end result often looks very artificial. I don't even like the way it smells!

Tbh as a teen I wanted to look pretty for others, not because I wanted them to feel attracted to me, it was because I got bullied for being "ugly" and I just wanted to... Not get bullied anymore. Same reason I had an eating disorder.

My skin doesn't handle make up very well however... Allergic reactions, even to hypoallergene brands... And I actually grown quite confident with my looks recently... I'm pretty and don't need that shit, my body is in shape too... I actually find other women prettier without make up as well (no one believes that but it's true, the more make up, the less confident you appear)

• Like 2
Nyan the awkward asexual

I'll wear makeup on occasion, but that's mostly due to low confidence about my skin. I have dry patches and mild acne. I don't use it as a way to enhance any particular features, but rather as a way to hide things that I don't like about my own face.

• Like 2

Hah, that. ^  Only I do wear it pretty much every day.

I wear mascara because without it I feel like I look like a zombie (very VERY pale eyelashes, bordering on invisible), and I use powder because my skin is super translucent and whenever I enter a room that's slightly warmer than wherever I've been before I go the colour of a freshly boiled lobster, which I find annoying AF. So that's why I wear makeup. For special occasions I might go for some eyeliner and -shadow. No foundation or concealer or any of that jazz, though. My everyday makeup is next to unnoticeable, but to me it has a noticeable effect and makes me feel more comfortable.

• Like 2

Sometimes I like wearing make up, sometimes I don't bother. When my acne is bad, I like having the cover up. Or even sometimes when my skin is good, it just gives me more confidence. If I wear make up, it's for me, not to impress someone else. ie. say I go on a date, I might put make up on (but don't always). If I do, it's to help me feel more confident, not to make myself look more attractive. Sometimes I wear it for fun! Most days I can't be bothered though. 

I work shift work, so when I work night shift, no way in hell am I wearing make up. When I work days, I already have to get up at 5:40, no way do I want to wake up even earlier to do serious makeup. Some days I'll swipe on some mascara, but only if I'm in the mood. No one has ever told me I need to wear it or not wear it, so I do as I please. 

Wearing makeup makes me feel less confident because I feel like people are seeing a fake version of myself when I wear it. I don't have a problem with people who wear makeup regularly because that's who they are, and I think it looks very pretty on people in general. But makeup is not me and I don't want people seeing me in an unrealistic light or judging me for something I am not. I do not wear makeup regularly, and I do not care what any people would say about it. As such, I only wear makeup for cosplay or for incredibly formal events.

HibernoHistorian

I personally don't care for wearing makeup, but I don't really know if it has anything to do with asexuality. But I did try wearing it for a while while I was in high school because I thought I had to do it for people to like me (fun times), and I really disliked it. It was a lot of effort for something that didn't feel like me and that I didn't think looked good. Occasionally I'll wear a little just for fun or whatever, but even then it's not much.

In general, I'd say if you want to wear it, great. If not, that's cool too. As far as the whole business-expectation thing, my thinking is that that expectation will never change if we bow to it without question. If someone decides that I'm less capable because I don't want to paint a mask on my face, then I'm not really that interested in working with them anyway, because that suggests they want an image, not me, my mind, or my skills.

• Like 2
LeafingBooksTea

I’ve worn make-up in some form since I was 13, and I will be turning 50 this year, so that tells you how long. I have never really thought about it being a gender-specific thing. That may be because I have around men wearing make-up for much of my life (stage make-up, boys I went to HS with who wore “guyliner” and drag performers in my 20’s and beyond). That said, the only make-up I wear now is brow pencil (my brows are sparse), a little bit of eyeliner and red lipstick. I may wear some form of concealer if I want to cover any acne (and yes, even in my late 40’s I still get acne, sorry to say.)  I wear it because I like the way it looks and I have a fondness for vintage looks in clothing and make-up. I have never equated a person’s choice to wear make-up or not with their sexual orientation, though I am fairly sure that I am in the minority opinion. The question to answer for make-up should be the same as for clothes: what do YOU like to wear? What makes YOU feel comfortable?

• Like 1

Makeup has nothing to do with my asexuality. Then again I can't talk cause my makeup is sunblock and lip balm.

Skincare is more important imo.

I've never really thought of "asexual" and "make-up" being associated in any sort of way, but it makes sense! I've never worn make-up and never really felt the desire to. Maybe at times I've wondered out of curiosity what I would look like with make-up, but not curious enough to try. In fact, in general I've never really bothered to try to make myself look sexy to attract attention. Interesting to think about, anyway. 

deletingthisaccount

I love wearing makeup. Not only to express who I am, but also to look professional and to not constantly be mistaken for 12 even though I'm in my 20s.

Interestingly enough, when I came out as asexual to one of my friends, she told me "but you wear makeup." I was very surprised because I hadn't realized that so many people saw wearing makeup as solely for attracting others. There are plenty of other reasons to wear it -- although of course not wearing it is perfectly fine too!