Asexual and gray-a women, how do you feel about wearing make-up?

35 minutes ago, LostInThought said:

I of course have no dog in this fight, but I just wanted to comment real quick how INCREDIBLY hot it is when a woman doesn't wear makeup. 🥰

As you were.

Funny thing is, you actually can't tell a lot of the time these days. You hear soooo many women complaining about how if they don't wear makeup, people think they're tired or unwell and will actually say that to them. Too much makeup, and people think you're trying to hook up with guys. But if you wear a 'natural' look (which looks super nice, like you don't have makeup but very different than not actually wearing makeup) everyone compliments you about how good you're looking :P

Random example, in the Vikings TV show Lagertha looks stunning, here's a pic:

Lagertha.jpg

She's actually wearing heaps of makeup in that pic though to get her skin looking perfect and to make the structure of her face look much more defined. LOTS of different products go into achieving this look and it's very common for ladies these days to wear makeup like this!! 

I do agree though, women (everyone actually) look most beautiful without makeup ^_^

(ps I have no idea if this comment will work or not as I did the whole thing on my phone and copy/pasting images here is impossible on mobile for the most part.. so hopefully this works) :P

I love make-up, I just dont have enough reasons to wear it and I wont waste it on at home. I just love how I look and what it does to some of my features, most of my female friends like it as well. We like to pain our faces as we say lol. Its fun. 

I have to say though here nobody ever got shit for not wearing or wearing make up to work but school you got crap for wearing it but otherwise nobody really cares. Girls I know wear it for themselves not for others. 

Thinking back, I dont ever remember hearing anything about women wearing makeup for men.  In fact, I have heard men say they don't like makeup on women.  I think in general, women wear what they want, including makeup and clothes.  It's  mostly a stereotype that we're trying to impress men.  

• Like 5

I wear moisturizer with sunscreen, powder, and mascara every day to tone down my oily skin and look more awake. I would wear more concealer if I could get it to blend without needing liquid foundation, which feels too heavy.

I once got in trouble with my mother for not wearing makeup to school, but I've never performed gender to her expectations.🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

I hate makeup. You could not pay me a million dollars to wear it. Other people can wear it if they want, but I personally don't like it. It's not my thing.

I like wearing eyeliner to highlight my eyes because it's one physical attribute I actually like about myself. That's about it usually, though sometimes I will put more on for formal or special occasions, or costume wear. 

I deal with adult acne and uneven skin tone, so while it can be tempting to cover that up with concealer or foundation or whatever, I don't really like the feel of it on my face, and it usually just irritates my skin further. 

I don't really know anyone who uses it for other people, either. Most people just like it as an art form or a means of expressing themselves in some way. 

I feel women wear makeup for other women. Other women have been concerned about my lack of makeup, or lack of body care routine like hair removal, face wash etc and I have heard negative feedback regarding my looks from other women. Guys have almost never noticed my acne or the hair on my upper lips or my arms. For a long time I believed I was super ugly thanks to the women, and I was fully surprised when guys started showing interest in me and thought the guys were too stupid to not see that I was ugly AF.

I dont like anything touching my face, I hate makeup, moisturizer, sun screen etc on my face. But I have dark circles which gives me the permanent look of being super tired, and when I am actually tired the circles turn darker which makes me look like I got punched in the eyes. Hence I wear concealer but leave the rest of the shitty face alone :P

I personally like women natural, including dark circles, acne, pores etc. I saw a girl with her face full of acne in a class one time and I had to force myself to stop staring at her. She looked so pretty.... dang, can't even find a full-face-acne-no-makeup women picture on google *sigh*

• Like 2

I have never been interested in wearing makeup. When I was getting ready for middle school prom, my cousins coerced me into letting them put makeup on me. It was an extremely uncomfortable experience, and I did not like the way I looked with it. Needless to say, it's the only time I've ever worn it.

• Like 1

I wear make up but not to be attractive to others but because I like it. I like to wear mascara and have many dark shades, even black, lipstick that I also like.

But I understand how you feel about the pressure the society gives. 

*I would like to share something that happened a little bit after I post my comment. I did dress up to go to the market and also wear one of my favorite lipsticks. In one of the stores I go frequently and know the couple who owns this place. The woman complement me for wearing that lipstick she thought it goes great on me and that I should wear it more often. She even said that seeing people who take care of their looks makes her feel better. I know this is a whole new subject, but there are people out there who feel like they are not beautiful  and that nice cloths and make up are not for them. 

Edited by TheAbhorrent
add a story
Chamomile_Serenity

Meh don't feel like bothering to put it on. At most I'll wear lipgloss on the weekends. I do a birthday photoshoot for fun every 3-4 years and will wear makeup for that but take it off as soon as the shoot is over. 

• Like 1
WanderingKate

The only make up I wear daily is a bit of concealer because I am self conscious about my adult acne and uneven skin tone. I sometimes like a bit of mascara or lipstick just to enhance the features...my lips are definitely one of my best features and when I'm feeling self conscious about other parts of myself, wearing a bit of lipstick to "show them off" can make me feel better. But heavier makeup (eye shadow, foundation, etc.) is a definite no for me. Makeup is expensive and I can't rationalize spending so much money on it. Plus, I think I look better without it in general. My mother is very pro-makeup and used to work in the beauty industry so she always pushed me to wear more. She would try to do my make up a lot when I was younger and once even did a full face of makeup with purple eyeshadow and bold red lipstick and everything. I was horrified because I have a very young face for my age and it looked like I was a little girl playing with make up, even though my mother did a fantastic job. I just didn't like it. Also a lot of foundation feels heavy and cakey and clogs your pores, and I cant be the only one who thinks lip gloss is too sticky :P

I only wear makeup for extra special occasions.  As a teen, I tried, but my skin was so oily, that the thought of putting stuff on it seemed wrong.  I also played a lot of softball and sweating with makeup on is gross as well.  As I got older, makeup just seems like a waste of time.  But I'm also lucky and look young for my age (30ish rather than mid-40's).  At this point in my life it's all about being comfortable and this also applies to clothes and shoes.  Perhaps the lake of makeup and tall shoes is holding me back at work, but I'm not willing to change that.

I'll wear very little makeup for special occasions. Day to day I only wear colored lip balm. I just don't see the point of makeup. I don't think it makes me look better and I can't rub my face with it on. It's also expensive. 

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

All natural usually also due to sensitive skin irritation, make up has caused rashes in past.  Fem perfumes are my go-to, if used sparingly to minimise migraine triggers.

• Like 1
thequietplace
On 10/15/2019 at 6:28 PM, Mysterywriter221 said:

I only wear make up for formal events, job interviews, and Halloween. Rather than wear make up every day and have people think I'm sick when I don't, I prefer to set the bar low and stun them when I do wear it. 

I do have fun putting make up on other people though. 

I used to wear the traditional stuff until about 16 when I just got FED UP of the time needed..never went back. Although I am starting to get interested in the idea of really bold makeup looks - might go this way if I ever decide to get married...shock the hell out of everyone haha. It's fun to go a bit different/extreme for halloween or other fancy dress but I haven't done that in years!

• Like 3
borderprincess
7 hours ago, thequietplace said:

I used to wear the traditional stuff until about 16 when I just got FED UP of the time needed..never went back. Although I am starting to get interested in the idea of really bold makeup looks - might go this way if I ever decide to get married...shock the hell out of everyone haha. It's fun to go a bit different/extreme for halloween or other fancy dress but I haven't done that in years!

I love the idea of bold makeup looks, but they can be really hit or miss and often you don't know before putting it on which one it'll be :')

• Like 1

I love makeup to be honest, I don't wear it to be more attractive to other people though, I just think its fun to experiment with the colors and I feel better with it on.

• Like 1

I only read the first page (holy cow theres a lot of replies here) but from what I read, it kind of proves my hypothesis that I had...that asexual and gray-a women would be less likely to like wearing make-up.

I think I said this in my first post, but I HATE wearing makeup as well.

That being said, for those of you in corporate America who don't wear it.... you might want to check this out. You are putting your career at a serious disadvantage by not wearing make-up. (Which only makes me hate make-up even more). Now I'm in a job where it's practically expected that people don't wear makeup. But, I felt forced to wear it when I was doing the work I did previously. Because of the following study:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/fashion/makeup-makes-women-appear-more-competent-study.html

21 hours ago, gray-a girl said:

I only read the first page (holy cow theres a lot of replies here) but from what I read, it kind of proves my hypothesis that I had...that asexual and gray-a women would be less likely to like wearing make-up.

I think I said this in my first post, but I HATE wearing makeup as well.

That being said, for those of you in corporate America who don't wear it.... you might want to check this out. You are putting your career at a serious disadvantage by not wearing make-up. (Which only makes me hate make-up even more). Now I'm in a job where it's practically expected that people don't wear makeup. But, I felt forced to wear it when I was doing the work I did previously. Because of the following study:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/fashion/makeup-makes-women-appear-more-competent-study.html

I'm in the UK equivalent of corporate America and not wearing make up has not hindered my career prospects at all (I'm actually advancing faster than many of my peers who wear make-up or are men) so to anyone feeling concerned, it's not necessarily true everywhere...

• Like 1

yes, I now wear society make up, (started around 40) at least some basics so I look half way professional and not like I just rolled out of bed. which I probably just did.

concealer for blemishes and a bit of brown eye liner and dark mascara to appear more awake. I don't think most people notice that I wear any, try to keep it as natural looking as possible. 

A week ago, I used a chap stick which had (besides black raspberry flavor) some color to it. my boss was all like, "hey, wearing makeup today? what's up with you?" - haven't used that chap stick since.

I rarely wear any privately,  except on days I feel like I look like sh*, then it just acts as a confidence equalizer. 

I don't own any makeup, i wouldn't have a clue what to do with it if anyone put a bunch of it in front of me. 

I see makeup the same way as i see photo filters. A way to make a person look a way they think improves them somehow.  
I feel that there is a pressure put on young girls and then women to make themselves look a certain way, and it shows when videos like the No Make-Up Challenge happen and women are literally having meltdowns because they are showing their real face. 

I prefer no make up on people personally. I've never found myself attracted to a woman who wears make-up or at least a noticeable amount anyway. None of my ex's wore it. 
Weirdly I get complimented on my skin a lot by women and i assume it is down to the fact i don't put stuff on that makes the difference. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lilsi said:

I don't own any makeup, i wouldn't have a clue what to do with it if anyone put a bunch of it in front of me. 

I see makeup the same way as i see photo filters. A way to make a person look a way they think improves them somehow.  
I feel that there is a pressure put on young girls and then women to make themselves look a certain way, and it shows when videos like the No Make-Up Challenge happen and women are literally having meltdowns because they are showing their real face. 

I prefer no make up on people personally. I've never found myself attracted to a woman who wears make-up or at least a noticeable amount anyway. None of my ex's wore it. 
Weirdly I get complimented on my skin a lot by women and i assume it is down to the fact i don't put stuff on that makes the difference. 

Lucky you... I envy you... ...

7 minutes ago, MiffKeks said:

Lucky you... I envy you... ...

For what? :huh:

2 minutes ago, MiffKeks said:

For having nice skin without doing much for it.

Well that all depends if i am having an acne flare up. I'm 32 and still get them. So don't feel too envious!  

22 hours ago, Lilsi said:

I get that too and never really thought about the lack of make-up point. You may be on to something.

• Like 1

I've never particularly liked make-up, I've always thought it seemed like a waste of time. I generally don't care about how I look though, I'll wear tacky clothes in public and won't give a crap, so make-up is just like an extra burden that wouldn't really do much.

Sometimes I wear makeup, sometimes I don't. I think I look good either way.

I’m a femme-presenting nonbinary person, so my perspective is probably different from women, but I wear makeup sometimes when I feel like it (maybe once every 6 months on average). I think it looks nice sometimes, but I can’t be bothered to wear it all the time, and I also don’t want to get so used to wearing makeup that I feel like I look sick without it.

• Like 1

Well, I'm not a woman so  hope I'm still allowed to post here.. but I do wear make up, so I figured it might kinda qualify given the intent of the thread xD

Not wearing it to look good for anyone else mind you - it's mostly since I just like looking good for myself! :) 

(Also no heavy makeup; mostly concealer. That being said, if I don't wear any someone will ask me if I haven't slept last night every three steps I take :D)