Asexual and gray-a women, how do you feel about wearing make-up?

I know that a lot of sexual people like wearing make-up because they feel it makes them attractive to the opposite sex. So for those of us, who don't have any feelings of attraction to other people, (or very little in that department) I wonder, do you still feel the need to wear make-up to look more attractive? I'm not talking about society's stupid requirement that women wear make-up, but rather, do you wear it because you have to (due to society) or do you wear it because you want to (to look good to other people)?

Personally, I hate make-up and I feel that society really really pressures women to wear it. If you go to most workplaces without make-up, your career won't be doing so well. You may even be asked to wear it directly. I had a business mentor who essentially put me down for not wearing make-up, one time, and the irony is that I had put it on that day but at one point earlier my eyes had teared up like crazy and all of it came off without my knowledge. (Needless to say she wasn't a very good business mentor, and I'm glad we have parted ways).

I feel like the whole make-up thing is a part of the whole wanting to be attractive to people you find attractive, and thats where it all originates from. So I am curious if other asexuals and gray-as feel as I do about make-up. I loathe it, but wear it only because and when it's necessary because of society. Right now, I'm working for a religious organization, so its practically expected that I don't wear make-up, and I love it.

• Like 5
Galactic Turtle

I've never worn makeup before but I imagine I'd find it quite tedious. I do work in theater and feel no envy for those stuck in hair and makeup all morning.

I never felt any pressure to wear makeup. Then again, while everyone around me was reading various teen magazines that probably had makeup tips and all sorts of other feminine beauty guides I was reading the Star Wars and WWE Insider. Those didn't even have horoscopes. :P

Since I've never felt self conscious about my face and I don't like the look of makeup when I see it, I just haven't bothered to learn anything about it. Regardless, men are still attracted to me as I think they would to many women without makeup. While I don't know for sure, I think the typical heterosexual man doesn't notice such details. I sure don't notice... unless your eyelids are like... blue...

• Like 3
Neutral Charge

i had a period when i was 14 of pro makeup, got over it by 15 now i only use it for special events, otherwise i prefer healthy skin over makeup, the only thing i use is a bit of eyeliner cause my eyes looks very undefined 😅 or maybe its just a self confidence issue but thats all  i use now 

I understand the attraction of beauty by makeup but if you do it everyday it looses its charm and  it damages the body/face, for me its not worth it

I'll put it on for 'formal' occasions, but I mainly just conceal obvious blemishes so I feel less self-conscious about other people's attention. I sometimes go further with light blush, eyeliner, maaaaaybe lipstick just to prove that "I know how do it if I want to". The other times I do it as part of a costume/outfit, just to see how much I can change my appearance, and it's usually just me doing it at home to be silly. :D 

• Like 1

I don't really wear make-up, but I don't view it as a way to make myself attractive. I view it as a way to look more adult or acceptable. To get rid of flaws and emphasize what I want to. The most I'll wear now is cover-up (my sis is trying to convince me to use foundation but it seems like such a hassle to apply) and mascara. Though some blush and stuff makes my face look less pale in pictures. 

• Like 3
DarkStormyKnight

Eh I've only ever worn stage makeup. Everyday makeup just seems like too much effort for me.

• Like 1

I basically never wear makeup. It would take too much effort and I don't see the point for me personally. 

• Like 1

I like wearing make up, I think it's fun and it allows me to control how other people see me.

• Like 4

I'm to lazy to get up earlier (I wake up at 6 am) and do make-up,but when I wear it I don't  feel nothing special. I'm not big fan of make up, when I was younger I often weared make up, but now? No.

AceMissBehaving

I love wearing makeup. It allows me to create different looks that I feel express who I am in different ways.

I like looking good for myself, it helps me feel confident.

Sometimes I deliberately do things  men complain about with my make up because it’s not about them, or trying to bait for sex despite what many believe. If I can say “f**k off” with over the top eyebrows and green lipstick, then that’s pretty rad for the 3min it takes to do them.

• Like 6

I don't wear makeup, never saw the appeal.  Luckily I worked in a field where pretty much no one did.  I'm now changing to a career where more people do wear makeup, but I still wouldn't say it's expected - no one's said anything and I wouldn't care if they did.  Frankly, I don't think too many men even care - I've been hit on more than enough without it.

• Like 1

I have to wear make-up despite not having much money because I have acne that will probably never go away. I have to cover my whole face because the scars just look disgusting and I'm being treated much worse when I'm going out without it. Bad skin makes you look sick and ugly. People I know well usually don't care all that much but I'm always scared when we're on field trips and I have to reveal my natural face. I guess, they don't really give a sh*t because they like me as a person and often claim that it wasn't looking so bad. But that's usually with my make-up on, so that they don't see all the pink pimples and irritated skin.

People often say that make-up makes women look fake but when I put on my mask of even colour then it is ALWAYS accepted like: better make-up than being an ugly duckling in public.

I admit that my face makes me dysphoric (if that word can be used for that, too?). I don't have the money for treatments though and my doctor only ever gave me gels and cremes that didn't help, at all. Not even doing the magical sport+healthy-food-combo did anything for me, also none of the other "teicks offered by natural cosmetics" or supplies that everyone has at home. So, I'll just keep on using make-up because nobody takes an ugly woman seriously. Germany is terrible with that. Woman can only be successful if she looks beautiful, too. Men are never questioned in this regard... ...

• Like 1

I never got into make-up since I have eczema and can only put certain things on my skin. Besides that, for me, make-up  just seemed like a whole lot of work for a whole lot of nothing. If I didn't have worries about my skin sensitivity when I was younger, I would've probably try it because my friends and sister did it, but that's it I think 🤔. Overall, I just don't want to put it on, so I don't. 😊

• Like 1
Forest Spirit

Now I only wear concealer (and loose powder to 'fix' it) around my eyes due to natural eye circles (thin + light skin + veins). I can't say if I'm any good at applying it but it gives me some more confidence when going outside and avoids comments of 'oh you look tired' or 'oh you look ill'🙄 in my teens I added mascara and eyeliner for a while but although I like the look of it it just takes forever and frankly I don't care anymore😅 I'd love to not having to wear anything but I think that will still take some years of building up self-esteem and not caring about people's comments!

• Like 1

I don't wear make-up, never have. Used to do my nails in funny colours in my teens but later it just seemed to much of an effort.

Occasionally I wear lipstick at home, but since I live alone it's purely for my own benefit because I like the splach of colour in an otherwise very pale face.

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere

I hate makeup. For at least two reasons: first, I suffer from allergy and makeup could only harm my poor skin further. And second... yes, due to all this complex: sexualisation, training girls to be pretty, to desire being attractive to boys, to learn that their body is their sole capital... I reject it and for such reasons I never ever wear makeup. It's even a matter of principle for me, a sign that I reject all this ideology which trains women to be dependent on men.

This exact ideology, this limitation of women's lives, is also the reason why I'm much more averse to heterosexuality than other orientations. I mean - I really feel that I couldn't have sex with any person, of any gender, under any circumstances. However, my rejection of possibly personally having sex with a woman is fear only. Extreme nudity aversion, an almost existential fear of sex, some disgust with the "icky" aspects (body fluids) - but nothing more. In contrast, my rejection of straight sex borders on sex repulsion - I have a much stronger negative response to different-sex erotic scenes in texts or movies.

I feel that I could be in a relationship with a woman (although I feel that a typical romantic relationship is not so much for me, what I desire is rather a very deep, intimate friendship) and that I would face being perceived as a lesbian. But I couldn't accept being perceived as heterosexual because, first of all - I couldn't tolerate being perceived as subordinate to a man. This is the most important reason why I definitely reject a possibility of being in a relationship with a man, even if some people say that if you don't want to have sex in a relationship, the partner's gender "should" be irrelevant...

• Like 1
Mysterywriter221

I only wear make up for formal events, job interviews, and Halloween. Rather than wear make up every day and have people think I'm sick when I don't, I prefer to set the bar low and stun them when I do wear it. 

I do have fun putting make up on other people though. 

• Like 2

For me, wearing makeup and buying clothes that sexual people defined as "sexy", come from my wish to feel aesthetically pleasing for myself. 

Hence, I like pink hair or some grunge makeup, I do it because of my wish to reflect my mood or express my feelings.

P.S. I only started doing so when I turned 30; two years ago.

• Like 5

I hate how it can irritate skin, but I enjoy stage makeup because it feels like war paint for the character. In my 20s I started experimenting with light makeup because of acne and like it a bit more than I used to. I sometimes use a tinted BB cream and clear mascara to look not sick, but anything more than that is too much work.

When younger, I disliked makeup because I found it sexualizing. But now I know that's not why most women wear it and admire people who know how to create different styles.

Edited by Anna3422
  • Like 1
everywhere and nowhere

P.S. I don't even have any makeup stuff at home... you know, lipsticks, rouges etc.

AllTimeBubble

I don't wear makeup apart from a low key look at special events, not because I have anything against it, but I'm too lazy to do that all the time. Plus, I know I would forget to remove makeup before bed and that would destroy my skin

• Like 2

Years ago I wore some makeup because it was the "normal" thing to do and without it, I would have attracted attention, which I didn't want.  Now I don't because it's too much trouble.  I don't think women wearing or not wearing makeup has much to do with trying to attract men, so it doesn't have anything to do with being asexual.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, gray-a girl said:

I wonder, do you still feel the need to wear make-up to look more attractive?

Many women who wear makeup do so because THEY like the way it makes them look, or it can help them express a certain aspect of their personality or whatever. It's only a certain type of woman who wears makeup specifically to attract men, but honestly most of the ladies I know who wear makeup do so for themselves, not for anyone else. :)

Comrade Kitty

I DESPISE MAKE UP! My "friend" once tried to put mascara on me.......... that was horrible! I couldn't stand it! And I just don't see the point of it. No matter how self conscious I am. Personally, I don't like make up with costumes or anything. I just don't like things being on my face. But who knows, maybe my opinion will change as I get older. 

• Like 1

I have to coat my face in make-up for every dance performance and I think my not liking make-up is more related to that than my asexuality. I will but on mascara or some foundation if I'm going to like, a wedding, but otherwise I don't bother. 

• Like 2
LostInThought

I of course have no dog in this fight, but I just wanted to comment real quick how INCREDIBLY hot it is when a woman doesn't wear makeup. 🥰

As you were.

Internetlionboy

I don't like makeup at all on myself (on others though 😍😍), I prefer wearing dresses 😛