Too New for Ace Week?

sunbrella

I'm excited for Ace week and want to show off my ace pride but I'm worried about being "too new" to call myself ace/demiro. I know it's a stupid concern but I only even started questioning that I might be ace/arospec a month ago and so even though it was pretty much instantly obvious for me I'm worried that I'll come off as weird presenting as proudly ace when I am so, so new to the community.

If it helps, I used to identify as just lesbian but even then I felt like I related heavily to the ace/aro community even as a lesbian (so my ace pride is older than my ace identification.... if that's allowed....).

I also want to offer myself up as available if my peers have any questions they want to ask an ace person, but I feel like it'd be wrong, because, again, I'm so new. I'm not trying to represent all ace people just myself but idk if I'm allowed to without coming off as audacious. The reason I want to do this is because I remember I had so many questions I wanted to ask an ace person but was scared of coming off as offensive.

Does anyone have any insight? Is this a valid sentiment? 

You can be as proud as you'd like, and it's perfectly okay any time someone asks you a question you aren't sure about (even beyond ace week) to respond, "You know, I don't know yet. Let's go find out!"

@sunbrella

While I think that its ultimately up to you what you choose to do, 

I don't think anyone would mind you showing ace pride.

Hi! Since you mentioned being homoromantic, I thought I'd mention that--if you're interested or have more questions related to being gay and ace--@Slice of Ace is a homoromantic ace who has a YouTube channel, where he talks about his experiences of those things.

There's also a homoromantic thread for ace lesbians, too.

DarkStormyKnight

YO that struggle is definitely real because I for sure felt that for ages after I first came out. My best advice is to just go for it and do it if you want to, fake it til you make it if you must, but know that you definitely can participate no matter how new you are! :D

Cole's Username

It's like joining a new discord: you just write a few messages butting in on other's concersations, pretend like everything is normal and then boom you're part of the community and everyone is happy to welcome you! Really with AVEN I've found quite the home and hangout, and I feel really comforted by the idea that I'm asexual and that I know this is who I am right now (it doesn't matter what you'll be in the future! You should still take pride in who you are!) Even though I found out I was asexual all of 4 days ago, and even though this is quite literally the first time I've heard about asexual awareness week, I'm personally super stoked to have the chance to be a part of it all! You do you!

Archived