How uncomfortable are binders?

Zebrafinch

I've been thinking about getting a binder. Not to completely hide my breasts, as my bra size is 36f, but to get them out the way and flatten them. Are they really any worse than bras in terms of physical comfort? And what's it like doing stuff in one? How restrictive are they? How well do they work for larger chests?

Thanks

Honestly they are very comfortable for me. Way better than bras. But I'm not sure how much of that is just dysphoria disappearing. I think you're not technically allowed to exercise in them too much, but I haven't had any problems when doing that. Definitely don't sleep in them though.

The only problem is getting them on. I sucked at that in the beginning, getting pretty stuck a couple of times, but now I know the technique. You have to roll up the bottom bit with the extra fabric to the outside, then get the top bit over your head, arms through the arm holes, and then roll the bottom bit back down over your chest, and tadaa. So it's not like a normal shirt/sports bra. You don't pull it down, you roll it down. Oh, and then you pull your chest bits (I don't know to refer to them, I hate all of the words that exist to describe them in the English language) down and to the side to prevent a monoboob.

My chest is on the larger side, and to be honest, the binder helps, but it absolutely does not look flat. You will need loose clothing (button ups), and even then, it will not look flat. But just the fact that you don't have to feel it moving around as you walk is already a big dysphoria reducer (at least for me) so it's still definitely worth it.

The first time I got a binder I got the wrong size, and I gave up on them for a while. A friend explained that you were supposed to make an appointment with the store so someone who knew what they were doing could help you with sizing. Mine had to be manually adjusted, my size didn't actually exist. Now I wouldn't consider going a day without a binder. So yeah, make sure you get that right the first time :) 

DuranDuranfan

I’m top heavy(36D or DD), and the first few times wearing a binder took some getting used to. And I have to do the same things like adjusting so I’ll get the flatter look I want without the uniboob. But I’m not completely flat. I look more like I have body builder pecs.

One thing I’d like to note is it’s had an interesting effect on my spine. I have early onset thoracic kyphosis, and I think wearing the binder has had a straightening effect on it. It gave me headaches at first but that was part of the adjustment period. I don’t get headaches anymore now.

I've decided I'm going to get one, more if I like it. I dented something with the zip on the front of my sports bra today. It's not about how I look, it's about hopefully getting them out the way a bit. I'm not intending to get rid of them, just flatten them.

And how much do they restrict your movement generally? 

Any brand recommendations? @Laurann, @DuranDuranfan 

I like the look of GC2B ones, plus they've got a purple one.

DuranDuranfan

I bought mine from gendergear.ca which sells the Underworks brand. And I have a lot of movement restriction. Very little bounce. But I’m top heavy so that is expected. Maybe guys with the body builder pecs have that little bit of bounce too? I dunno. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mysterywriter221

How do you wash them? Hand wash only? Gentle cycle in a washing machine? Tumble dry low? Lay flat to dry? 

DuranDuranfan

I think mine is machine washable. I’ll have to check the label again. Probably on the lowest setting(delicates). 

Mine is GC2B, hand wash only. Even if it wasn't, I can't let my parents know so washing machine is off the table. Apart from that, it's very comfortable. My chest blobs are quite small so I went a size up and it's more comfortable than a sports bra. I can even exercise in it, it barely restricts my breath. 

no-longer-in-use
On 10/15/2019 at 7:25 PM, Mysterywriter221 said:

How do you wash them? Hand wash only? Gentle cycle in a washing machine? Tumble dry low? Lay flat to dry? 

At least for GC2B binders, you can machine wash them, but it will wear them out faster. It's better to hand wash and hang dry.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered one from GC2B (half binder , size XXL) last week and it came in the post yesterday.

I've been wearing it all day and I like it.  Doesn't dig in anywhere or restrict my breathing. Once I've got used to it it'll be more comfortable than my usual sports bras. Putting it on is a bit tricky.

Aesthetically, not sure. Definitely flatter, not as flat as I really want but that would be asking for a lot. Not sure about the shaping either. Haven't managed the big pecs look yet.

I'll get more, probably when my current bra collection dies or digs in too much at the end of the day.

Thanks for your help, everyone

Archived