Homer

LGBT History Month event at Loyola Marymount University in L.A. features asexuality

Homer

Snippet of the relevant bit:

Oct. 21-22: Palm Walk asexual awareness poster series.

Oct. 22: Sigma Tau Delta Presents: Asexuality Poetry Reading, 6 p.m., Living Room.

Oct 9, 2019 - http://www.laloyolan.com/news/lgbt-history-month-events-on-campus/article_b164debc-398c-55d8-a5ea-daa15a2a0fb9.html

(non-EU readers only)

• Like 1

KrysLost

Took them long enough lol. It's great asexuals are finally getting the attention and representation they deserve. Hmm you report a lot of things. Not only are you a can man, you're our resident handy man too. >:D

thylacine

That is interesting, but maybe I'm wrong - but I thought Loyola was a religious college?  If they are a religious college, then I wonder why they have an event like this at all?

i'mjustme
1 hour ago, thylacine said:

That is interesting, but maybe I'm wrong - but I thought Loyola was a religious college?  If they are a religious college, then I wonder why they have an event like this at all?

They are, actually. Catholic and Jesuit. I'm not sure about their stance on the Queer community in general. Some Christian universities do have LGBTQ+ clubs even if they are officially against the Queer community. 

• Like 1

Celestial_Strawberry
1 hour ago, thylacine said:

It's a Catholic college. Just because they are religious, though, doesn't mean they deny the existence of the LGBT community. I'm Catholic and identify as asexual. Still, I see where you're coming from. I'm kind of confused, too. I'm glad, though.

• Like 3

daveb

Yeah, being religious doesn't always mean anti-LGBT. Sounds like a lot of the events there are being organized by students, so maybe it's a reflection of some younger people being more open-minded about such things? And at least the school is letting them do it.

• Like 2

thylacine
22 hours ago, Celestial_Strawberry said:

It's a Catholic college. Just because they are religious, though, doesn't mean they deny the existence of the LGBT community. I'm Catholic and identify as asexual. Still, I see where you're coming from. I'm kind of confused, too. I'm glad, though.

Yeah, I'm kinda / sorta glad and confused at at the same time, too.