Near Death Experiences TW: talk of death

Enbious1

Calligraphette_Coe
11 hours ago, Gatto said:

An interesting philosophical treatise on the experience but it seems to put values on something I don't think can be quantified so easily. It's almost like the theory of relativity and different observers-- but how to the particles themselves 'know' what to do? And what is 'right' and 'wrong' about how someone else might experience it?

I'm pretty sure I would have been dead had I not known from previous experience what was coming and got myself into extreme emergency care within the time frame. I also know from experience that other people didn't and they didn't survive to have a near death experience. What they did experience? Isn't that lost to us? Or, perhaps, even if it was conveyed in the form of Last Words, are those any more or less than what we the nearly deceased experienced?

Who knows?

I make it a practice to not critique of question anyone else's experiences-- I think they all have something to say. 

See, did you ever have a dream where one of the characters in the dream said something that you TOTALLY didn't expect? But how can that be, since your brain is the the source of both the dream and the surprise dialog? Does one part of your being come up with the narrative and yet another part is 'surprised' ?

One thing, I think that is universal about NDEs? I reminds you in very stark terms that your lease is running out, that your poker hand is one day going to be called. Your ticket punched. And that you ought to use that to make some course corrections while you still have at least a weak grip on the controls. That happiness is like panning for gold-- you have to sift through a lot before you find any, and that time to do so is NOT on your side. But that even if you only find a little nugget, looked at through the lens of a contented life, maybe it is enough?

I fell off a work platform while slaughtering cattle.  

I fell about six feet and landed on a concrete curb, on my back, and fractured four lumbar vertebrae.

I remember the fall but not the moment of impact, and I woke up on the floor in pain with the wind knocked out of me.

While not a near death experience, this accident made me less afraid of death, especially by falling.

On 1/9/2020 at 6:02 PM, daveb said:

Seems to me that most likely what people experience in NDEs is based on physiology and physical responses due to things like the brain shutting down, brought on by the particular circumstances of the NDE, and interpreted through the individual's beliefs and cultural knowledge/background. From what I have heard, read, experienced, the same thing goes for many other phenomena, such as sleep paralysis, UFOs, etc.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/a-math-theory-for-why-people-hallucinate-20180730/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/infants-can-see-things-adults-cannot-180958036/

Archived