Changing Sexuality Depending on the Person You're Considering?

songchick

Ok so I'm wondering: can your sexuality change depending on the person you're considering?  Like, can you be aro-ace with one person, and then aesthetically/romantically attracted to another person?

I know this sounds kind of dumb, but I"m thinking of mixed orientations, like homoromantic and heterosexual can exist at the same time, etc.  If that's the case, then can you have different sexual orientations based on how you fancy different people?

No, that's just... not liking the former person that way.  Romantics don't romantically like everyone.

Wanting platonic relationships with one and romantic with another and sexual with another means... average. It doesn't mean you have different orientations. Just means like everyone else in the world you feel differently for different people. 

Ok duh.  Yeah I'm trying to really iron this out to understand how it works.  Thanks for humoring this sort of weird question.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:59 PM, songchick said:

Ok so I'm wondering: can your sexuality change depending on the person you're considering?  Like, can you be aro-ace with one person, and then aesthetically/romantically attracted to another person?

Your sexuality isn't changing, you're just not into the first person. 

I know this sounds kind of dumb, but I"m thinking of mixed orientations, like homoromantic and heterosexual can exist at the same time, etc.  If that's the case, then can you have different sexual orientations based on how you fancy different people?

Your orientation tells you the sexes to whom you are potentially attracted, no more. Other factors determine if an individual who meets your orientation criteria is also sufficiently attractive to you. It's easy to see how one can get mixed up though. A lot of the labels around here are quite confusing. 

Archived