is world peace possible?

Guest iwanttolearn

RakshaTheCat

Hmm, maybe by exterminating all people? Only way to be sure!

And since we are destroying climate for the sake of profits anyway, maybe it will happen all by itself soon anyway? 😺

I don't believe it's possible due to the sinful/arrogant nature of humans.

I believe on the new Earth it will be but until then we've just gotta hold on!

If we don’t blow ourselves up first we’ll get there. This will require every person on Earth “growing up” into a more mature relationship with nature, other people and themselves. AVEN can definitely help move this in the right direction but we can’t get there on our own.

Yes and no, depends on how you define world peace. If you define it by absence of war, then I do think it is possible. If you define it by absence of violence, the definitely no.

Wars by definition have to be between state-actors. Hence why calling it the War on Terrorism was an awful idea, by calling it a war you have admitted that your adversary is a state, therefore granting them legitimacy. Wars could end, since all you would need would be for all the leaders of the world to either be anti-wars, or else have the UN strengthen its power to the point where the UN would threaten to decimate any nation that declares war, therefore rendering armies unneeded, and flipping the payoff matrix in favour of peace.

Violence cannot be stopped however, terrorists will always bomb (one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter/patriot), etc. Non-state actors, by virtue of being not a state, will still find conditions in which violence is advantageous for their goals.

"If we're going to live forever, how are we going to kill each other, if we're going to kill each other, how are we going to live forever."

The chorus to this song describes humanity quite well in a lot of ways.

DarkStormyKnight

Nope I think theres always going to be differences between people which leads to prejudice which leads to conflict. Maybe we'll see a decrease in violence over time, but I am willing to bet there there will always be a baseline level of violence.

Luftschlosseule

As a historian I am seeing a trend towards less warfare. But, as a historian, I have to say that it takes time and none of us is likely to see a planet earch on which no nation is engaging in war with other ones. Also, as a person living right now, the question would be what comes first: Extinction due to climate change or a pandemic or world peace.

Also I think that there will be a decrease in violence if more people get more stability, but it won't be possible to eradicate it completely without some kind of neuro balancer that takes care of hormones and your brain like ou see in the current season of Doctor Who.

nutterwithasolderingiron

nope. because we all have different ideas and methodologies on how to fix the world. 

Yes, as stated, only after we are nearly extinct. It will be a very curious extinction though. As I've stated, I believe we will eventually merge with our own technology and each of us will be a unique blend of animal, vegetable and mineral (if cyber technology is included). Every individual will be the only member of their own species. Greed and violence has no place in such a world, as they will have been engineered out of it. "Real" humans will probably still exist, but only as curiosities in nature parks these people won't even know they're confined to. Our descendants will treat our descendants like small children in a day care center. No fighting!!

Only if most of humanity vanishes with minimal destruction to habitats excluding the concrete jungle.

Nope. 

I seem to recall reading a quote once, something along the lines of: World peace would mean the end of civilization as we know it.

No, it's not possible but i wish it was. People are too greedy and selfish. someone is always trying to outdo someone else. If one country has nuclear weapons, another country wants to have twice as many. It would be nice if there was world peace, but i don't see any possible way it could actually happen.

There are 2 problems: competition for finite resources, and disagreements over basic ideas of what is right. 

I don't see any obvious way to fix either of those. It seems to be human nature for  at least some people to always want more.  Also, unfortunately different people can have very different ideas about right and wrong. 

2 hours ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

Nope. 

I love your well thought out and descriptive answer!

15 minutes ago, Arodash said:

I dream of a world like Star Trek

This 👍

I don’t know. There’s probably always gonna be at least one asshole who has a raging hard-on for messing with someone else’s life and property.

@Will-o-the-Wisp, I'm being realistic, put (almost any) two people together and they'll find some reason to fight sometime 

untr_ace_able

I say that later in the future, trans-human genetics will be a thing.

This means that by fusing human cells with other animals and other humans, some humans will be invincible to certain diseases. 

This would cause a massive divide in the world.

Those who have been trans-human genetically-modified would want  to stay away from those who aren't because they would see them as, 'Ridden with diseases and filthy.'

Those who haven't been trans-human genetically-modified would see those who have as 'Freaky non-human robots.'

You couldn't play Switzerland in this. It would be the growing and the ending of humanity. 

That's my horrible prophecy for the world.

*salute*

untr_ace_able
Just now, untr_ace_able said:

I say that later in the future, trans-human genetics will be a thing.

This means that by fusing human cells with other animals and other humans, some humans will be invincible to certain diseases. 

This would cause a massive divide in the world.

Those who have been trans-human genetically-modified would want  to stay away from those who aren't because they would see them as, 'Ridden with diseases and filthy.'

Those who haven't been trans-human genetically-modified would see those who have as 'Freaky non-human robots.'

You couldn't play Switzerland in this. It would be the growing and the ending of humanity. 

That's my horrible prophecy for the world.

*salute*

So no.

not unless life ceased to exist? i don’t think world peace in possible...

Eradicate money and power and my answer would be "yes. Within 10 years". 

But without, my answer is: "not in a million years."

You're better off wishing for Trump to go a month stating nothing but factual and articulated quotes.

• 3 months later...

Global-like peace, I don't think so. Community-like, of course yes :) Nowadays there are multiple examples about communities that began on a little space and they are currently growing up. For example, the Municipios Autónomos Zapatistas and Cherán on México and Kobanî on Kurdish Syria.

In a word: No.

Absolutely not. The best we can hope for is basically peer pressure.

Not with our current system. War is too profitable and too many industries depend on it for there to be any kind of lasting peace.

No. Too many different ideologies floating around plus many countries profit from war and unrest.

Archived