drivers license

iff

drivers license  

155 members have voted

1. 1. what drivers license do you have

• Full license
    • restricted/novice license (level between full license and learners permit license)
    • learners license/permit
    • level between learners and no license
    • no license - not old enough to qualify
    • no license - can not afford to drive
    • no license - old enough but no interest
    • no license - old enough but can not manage to pass the driving test
    • no license - other reason

This poll is closed to new votes

I have an appointment on the 1st to go upgrade to that Real ID system they have now for flights and junk. It is a pain in the ass, but it should make life easier later.

2 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Real ID

Oregon isn't even providing them yet. I only hope that it's not a huge hassle once they do start, but it sounds like it probably will be.

Just now, daveb said:

Oregon isn't even providing them yet. I only hope that it's not a huge hassle once they do start, but it sounds like it probably will be.

It is ridiculous right now. I need my passport, social security card, 2 utility bills, my insurance registration, and something else I forget. They want everyone to do this eventually? Most people don't even know the process and requirement exist. It is very poorly marketed and executed.. It also took me 2 months to get the appointment. I wasn't going to do it, but when i saw the appointment time, I did, because I don't want to be caught in a situation where I need it and can't get it.

Anthracite_Impreza
5 hours ago, Tystie said:

I couldn’t help but think about this thread this morning. I was walking through the car park at work when I saw a sticker in the rear window of a vehicle: ‘Born to ride; forced to drive’.

I was born to drive. Literally. There's nothing else I ever wanted to do with my life. I've driven cars, vans, trucks, forklifts, diggers, boats and diesel and steam locomotives (though I must admit I do love firing steamers more), and I'm nowhere near done yet.

Looked it up, Oregon is not going to start issuing them until July 6, 2020.

But people can still board planes (even after the Oct. 2020 deadline) without one if they have other acceptable forms of ID, such as a valid passport.

Custard Cream

Had a driving licence for 11 years, been driving properly for 1.5.

6 minutes ago, Custard Scream said:

Had a driving licence for 11 years, been driving properly for 1.5.

So you drove improperly for 9.5 years? :P 

Custard Cream
3 minutes ago, daveb said:

So you drove improperly for 9.5 years? :P 

Still am! 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

I’m 22 and have had my license since I was 17. A lot of my friends don’t drive, so I get to be the person to get people from point A to point B a lot of the time. I enjoy being able to do that.

On 10/22/2019 at 3:20 PM, Zagadka said:

It is ridiculous right now. I need my passport, social security card, 2 utility bills, my insurance registration, and something else I forget.

The requirements might be different in different states, but in California, you need your social security card and 2 official documents showing your home address. I used the title for my car and my medical record (with the actual medical information redacted. The DMV doesn’t need to know I have anxiety). I didn’t find it to be too complicated, but I did it as part of the process of having my name and gender marker changed, and there were a lot of other snags in the process, so my visit to the DMV went pretty smoothly by comparison.

Yea, I got through the process with all of the paperwork fine, but it was still a ridiculous process that they expect everyone to do in person.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:49 AM, Ortac said:

I think the public hatred of HGV drivers is extremely unreasonable. I wonder how these people who vilify HGV drivers think the food they buy in the supermarkets gets there? They probably think that the magic supermarket fairies wave their wands and magically replenish the shelves overnight. I'll bet they would be the first people to complain if they try to go shopping and are faced with empty shelves.

Back in 2001, truck drivers blockaded the fuel ports over here due to rising costs for fuel and all the extra taxes added on, the knock on affect was that everything went up in price, the cost of living rose rapidly, the public supported us as it helped them, a year later the then prime minister said in a public speech "remember, it was the truck driver that brought the country to its knees last year" the public forgot why we did this and the hatered began, in 2010 under a new leadership, a government minister again in a public speech announced that the now government wishes to rid the roads of the truck driver, the thicky culture as they cause congestion and pollute the air and all they do is drive around the country advertising in their forty foot advertising boards, when asked how goods got to shops, building sites etc, that same minister replied, they don't need any more goods, they have it in stock........

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

no licence at all.

I am definitely old enough to get the licence, but I'm too scared of it and the reason for it is my bad eyesight and overall poor coordination of my body.

Janus the Fox

No license either and legally prevented to learn due to several physical and neurological differences.  I can’t get the insurance necessary for these driving risks either. Walking is difficult enough 😛

Funny story is I had my learner's permit 2 times before I got my license, actually got the permit when I was 16 but after letting it expire and getting it again, and renewing it like once/twice I finally got the license to drive myself when I was 24. And since I got my license after 21 I had no restriction bars on it and probably made people think I had a fake one since I look about 16-18 generally.

Also its nice to take myself places when I need to, but I honestly don't like to drive that much, or that far. Much rather walk places, but most places I need to go are too far or not safe to walk for me.

Also I'm in Pennsylvania and they're pushing the Real ID thing here to, and it's obnoxious since my current license expires in less than a year anyways and I don't leave my area that often let alone need a "Real ID" for anything else. 

2 hours ago, BreeMoo said:

Also I'm in Pennsylvania and they're pushing the Real ID thing here to, and it's obnoxious since my current license expires in less than a year anyways and I don't leave my area that often let alone need a "Real ID" for anything else. 

I know the feeling, I've a passport for the same reason. 

I had to get my license. I grew up in a pretty rural community, and secondary transportation here is fickle and unreliable. Now that I live in town, I don't have to, but I still choose to, anyway, because I like the convenience. It's expensive and I feel like I'm constantly making repairs on my car (airbag light is on again -___- ), but it's worth it.

I had serious driver's anxiety and wasn't able to get my license until I was nineteen, though. I pushed myself because I wanted to go to college that year, and my parents said they weren't going to drive me. I was extremely nervous during the test, but I passed on the first try! I did get in a major accident this year, though. 😅 So I have had a ticket, and then I had to get a new car, which drained my funds even more. I'm just proud of myself, because the worst-case scenario happened for me--I got in an accident, I could have died, etc.--but I survived, and I got back behind the wheel.

The Barefoot Backpacker

[coo, my first ever post on the forum. Better check for speling mitsakes as first impressions count...!!]

I don't have a license. Back in the early 2000s I took driving lessons, and reached the point whereby I was having 'mock tests' in my lessons. But I was only doing it at the insistence of my then-girlfriend; we broke up and I quit learning a couple of lessons later.

The problem I have with driving is I'm ... I have very bad spacial awareness and I can't judge distances. This combination means I feel it's quite dangerous for me to be in charge of a large pile of solid metal moving at 30mph ;) Fortunately I've tended to live in places with good public transport links, or where I can just walk everywhere I need to (indeed I've purposely chosen to live in houses where both of these things were convenient).

I have a full license, have done since I was 22. I had to get a Japanese license when I moved over there (the UK has an agreement, so thankfully I didn't have to take the Japanese diriving test), but because I had only had my license for 9 months when I left the UK, I had to get a "beginner's" license, despite having been on an international permit for a year. There isn't much functional difference, other than having to have badges on your car for 12 months, but I had to attend a talk where I was told that if I was caught doing more than 21km/h (!) over the speed limit, I'd get points. Haven't needed to drive much since I came back, which I appreciate - not really a fan of it.

• 3 weeks later...
dragonfire42

No license due to disability, I have a state ID instead and rely on my parents for transportation. When/if I get my own place, I'll apply for a disabled transportation service to get around.

• 9 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived