drivers license

iff

drivers license  

155 members have voted

1. 1. what drivers license do you have

• Full license
    • restricted/novice license (level between full license and learners permit license)
    • learners license/permit
    • level between learners and no license
    • no license - not old enough to qualify
    • no license - can not afford to drive
    • no license - old enough but no interest
    • no license - old enough but can not manage to pass the driving test
    • no license - other reason

This poll is closed to new votes

WanderingKate

I'm 23 and have had a full license since I was 17. When I was first learning to drive I was so excited about driving and thought I was so cool, it's almost funny looking back at how eager I was :D Now that I'm older I'm honestly not a fan of driving and do it pretty rarely. I will drive myself 10 minutes to the train station by necessity, but that's about it. My preferred method of travel is definitely public transport and walking. I'm lucky to live in the city where this is an option. The main reason is I hate having to worry about other driver's stupidity on the road (some people REALLY can't drive...), having to deal with road rage and rudeness and people cutting you off, heavy traffic, the list goes on. It's frustration that I honestly don't need. Especially commuting to work I find it much more calming to just hop on the train, pop in my headphones and zone out then to be stuck in heavy traffic on the highway. But I do on occasion enjoy relaxing drives on back roads if the weather is nice. 

BlakeTheNightowl~

I live in Canada and it’s awesome how we have great public transportation in some areas !  xD 

I wish I didn't need a license, but in Los Angeles, public transit is something you have to drive to get to in the first place. I miss living somewhere you could walk and bus everywhere to.

I have a drivers permit but I don't get the opportunity to drive a lot and I didn't pass drivng class due to the simulators.

My reflexes are too jerky and slow too.

full license. it's needed here. we just got public transportation in the past decade so we are slow to catch up on things

Full US driver's license - despite not knowing any US traffic laws and never having taken any test here or anysuch :D
Fortunately, I also don't drive - haven't owned a car in the last five years and am not planning to change that :)

Full license. In much of the US you have to drive to get anywhere. I wish I didn't have to drive because it's dangerous and stressful. Everyone I knew growing up couldn't wait to start driving, but I never wanted to learn.

BlakeTheNightowl~
16 minutes ago, Firefly8 said:

Full license. In much of the US you have to drive to get anywhere. I wish I didn't have to drive because it's dangerous and stressful. Everyone I knew growing up couldn't wait to start driving, but I never wanted to learn.

Damnn !! That’s so shittyy how The US doesn’t have a reliable public transportation !!! 

11 minutes ago, Blake23 said:

Damnn !! That’s so shittyy how The US doesn’t have a reliable public transportation !!! 

Yes! It really is! 

Hermit Advocate

Who needs a licence?

But yes, I do have one. 

BlakeTheNightowl~
17 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

Yes! It really is! 

Damnn hopefully they update their system !! 

fooledbysecrecy

i used to have a license, in finland you have to complete the thing in two phases,* i did the first one so i had a temporary license that's valid for two years but never went through the second one and soon i moved out of the country anyway so...

after a couple of theory lessons i decided i don't want to go to driving school after all but my mum sort of made me.. and i lived in a small town so i could get everywhere on foot/by bike and i knew i would move to a big city with public transport so it felt very unnecessary and i ended up hating driving. so yeah that was a waste of money.

*at least that was the case back when i was 18, correct me if that's changed

Public transportation definitely isn’t the best where I live. A lot of times they seemed to think we were just taking public transportation for the hell of it and we didn’t have places to go.

On 06 October 2019 at 8:01 PM, Spookchi Boonut said:

I have a regular US license. I wish I didn’t have to drive. At least in the UK, it’s much less of a necessity. I haven’t tried to drive here yet - it scares me.

UK car drivers are very rude and aggressive over here, the majority are also very stupid, a braincell would have been of some use to them.....well, maybe not, they could be even more dangerous!!! I've driven in a lot of different countries, here in the UK, the car driver is a special breed of stupid over all, not all, but most

On 06 October 2019 at 7:49 PM, Iam9man said:

Full car licence + learner licence for motorbikes and heavy goods vehicles 🚙🏍🚛

I have full car, motorbike and HGV, the one I certainly wouldn't recommend is the HGV, you will become the lowest form of low life ever, I have been driving trucks here for over 20 years now, there's NO respect for drivers, the authorities HATE us, the public HATE us, and management, well I've never been treated so badly in a job as I have as an HGV driver, management goes beyond all forms of hatered you've ever seen or could imagine, there's more respect for pedophiles, mass murderers etc than there is for a truck driver, I wouldn't recommend HGV driving to my worst enemy, the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. Also, forget having a life if you do get a driving job, long hours, days away from home often unpaid, or even paid for out of your own pocket, not a job I'd recommend

As an HGV driver, you soon understand my comments above with regard to those drivers who are both stupid and aggressive, there's a certain type of car driver that drive a German manufactured vehicle with three letters, they are without doubt the thickest of the thick!!!

I've had my full license since I was 16; I only drove regularly for about two years immediately afterward though, since then we just haven't had a car. The public transportation system here is a joke; I heard it called the worst in the country before. I imagine if I could get out of here I'd have a chance at a better quality of life and be able to have my own car. I like to haul things home to fix up/part out and I don't fancy having to pay someone else top dollar to fetch these things. Any car I have would have to be an older one though, today's jellybeans just aren't worth my resources. I'd have a chance at finding the Mercury Lynx I want in a location that's not so isolated...

Full/regular car license with a motorcycle endorsement.

I don't drive cars because I don't like to, have never owned one, and I suck at it. I can ride motorbikes like nobody's business... but currently operate nothing due to health issues.

Anthracite_Impreza
On 10/16/2019 at 9:54 AM, oldgeeza said:

As an HGV driver, you soon understand my comments above with regard to those drivers who are both stupid and aggressive, there's a certain type of car driver that drive a German manufactured vehicle with three letters, they are without doubt the thickest of the thick!!!

Thank you, have a nice day too.

On 10/7/2019 at 3:57 AM, Dreamer23 said:

Full US driver's license - despite not knowing any US traffic laws and never having taken any test here or anysuch :D

How did you get issued a license then?

8 hours ago, Spookchi Boonut said:

How did you get issued a license then?

Germany is one of the three countries in the world that have full driver's license reciprocity with the majority of US states :D

Walked in there, showed them my German one, and got a Washington state one in exchange. No questions asked - no tests, not even a need to confirm that I read any rules or anysuch - nothing :)

On 10/16/2019 at 9:54 AM, oldgeeza said:

I certainly wouldn't recommend is the HGV, you will become the lowest form of low life ever, I have been driving trucks here for over 20 years now, there's NO respect for drivers, the authorities HATE us, the public HATE us,

I think the public hatred of HGV drivers is extremely unreasonable. I wonder how these people who vilify HGV drivers think the food they buy in the supermarkets gets there? They probably think that the magic supermarket fairies wave their wands and magically replenish the shelves overnight. I'll bet they would be the first people to complain if they try to go shopping and are faced with empty shelves.

5 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

Germany is one of the three countries in the world that have full driver's license reciprocity with the majority of US states :D

Walked in there, showed them my German one, and got a Washington state one in exchange. No questions asked - no tests, not even a need to confirm that I read any rules or anysuch - nothing :)

Wow, that’s crazy!

Internetlionboy

I don't have a license and just haven't got around to studying for the test

Strange-quark
On 10/8/2019 at 7:49 PM, fooledbysecrecy said:

at least that was the case back when i was 18, correct me if that's changed

Yeah nowadays it's three phases ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't bothered with all that, at least not yet. Also I'm yellow and driving's scary 👀

I'm old enough to have a drivers license, but I never cared to get one. To be honest, if I lived in my hometown, I would have to get one (it's far from everywhere and almost no buses to the nearest town or city), but as I pass all my week on a big city with a good enough public transportation network and only the weekends there, I don't feel the need to get one. 1) Driving in the city is awful and finding a place to park is hard; 2) I have nice public transports that can take me to where I need to go every 10 or 20 minutes; 3) I don't trust myself in front of a steering heel; 4) I enjoy more walking and trains. 

On 10/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, Topi said:

3) I don't trust myself in front of a steering wheel

Neither!!

Driving completely freaks me out, so I haven't got my license and don't plan to (much to my father's annoyance). I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Full licence, which I’ve held since I was 18. I live in a great place, but I would struggle here if I didn’t drive; public transport is very thin on the ground. On the plus side, we don’t have a rush hour here. At most, we have a rush hour five minutes.

56 minutes ago, Eva River said:

Neither!!

Driving completely freaks me out, so I haven't got my license and don't plan to (much to my father's annoyance). I'm glad I'm not the only one!

My parents are also always asking when I will get my drivers license and I always answer maybe one day in the future, but not now, because I don't feel like I need it and the classic excuse of I have no time at the moment.

I couldn’t help but think about this thread this morning. I was walking through the car park at work when I saw a sticker in the rear window of a vehicle: ‘Born to ride; forced to drive’.

Archived