drivers license

iff

drivers license  

155 members have voted

1. 1. what drivers license do you have

• Full license
    • restricted/novice license (level between full license and learners permit license)
    • learners license/permit
    • level between learners and no license
    • no license - not old enough to qualify
    • no license - can not afford to drive
    • no license - old enough but no interest
    • no license - old enough but can not manage to pass the driving test
    • no license - other reason

This poll is closed to new votes

in a repeat poll from 2018

i can not drive and have no interest

I have a license, but never drive, because cycling is more convenient where I live.

BlakeTheNightowl~

i live in the city i don't need to drive when there's public transportation xD 

Full license. I got my license when I was 19 but didn't drive on a regular basis until I was 23.

No license. Too clumsy. Didn't work.

Full licence, plus secondary Hackney Carriage licence. 

Due to a weird anomaly of the British driving licence there's odd vehicles that I can drive, such as any bus over 30 years old when there are no more than passengers on board, any truck over 50 years old, including 40' semis if there is no payload 

No license. I hate driving and it scares me. Though I need to get one eventually...

1 minute ago, Homer said:

No license. Too clumsy. Didn't work.

Doh!

Some of the options don't make sense to me. 😶 Here you either have passed the exam and hold a license or you don't, there is no 'learning permit'.

I have one, drive rarely because I don't like it (traffic jams and driver culture - or rather lack of it).

BlakeTheNightowl~

I just turned 23 ya'll and i'm scared to drive also I take the bus xD 

2 minutes ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

Due to a weird anomaly of the British driving licence there's odd vehicles that I can drive, such as any bus over 30 years old when there are no more than passengers on board, any truck over 50 years old, including 40' semis if there is no payload 

This sounds awesome! 😂

I have a provisional license since I am under 21. Effectively it is a full license, only difference is my maximum legal BAC is 0.00, instead of 0.08, there are no other resections besides that.

I hate to drive. I don't drive now since I am in college (no need to) and luckily the city I am close to has pretty good public transit, especially for America. It is even one of the hubs for Amtrak, meaning long-distance non-car travel is a practical option for me, unlike probably 90% of America.

Full car licence + learner licence for motorbikes and heavy goods vehicles 🚙🏍🚛

LogicalStroopwafel

I have a restricted license, since I am only allowed to drive cars with automatic gearboxes. Something to do with reaction times and experience. But I don't drive very often, since I mostly bike and train everywhere, so I haven't bothered with getting a full license yet.

I have no license. I've been old enough to drive for only about a year, and a few months. And honestly, I haven't even thought about driving. I wasn't even sure about what's the age limit for driving in my country until I very recently looked it up... I was surprised when I heard that a guy who's a year younger than me had a car and only then I realized that hey, he's old enough to drive, and I too am old enough to drive... anyway. I have no need for a license and I also don't want one. Also I still kinda feel like I'm too young and immature to do it... even though I'm really not 

Grumpy Alien

I have a regular US license. I wish I didn’t have to drive. At least in the UK, it’s much less of a necessity. I haven’t tried to drive here yet - it scares me.

In the U.S., depending on where you live, it's pretty hard to get around without a car.  We don't have the same level of public transportation that some European countries have.  If you live in the city, you might not need a car, but in the suburbs, you would need a car.

like thylacine mentioned, it is usually pretty important to have a car in the US unless in a huge city, but public transportation can be pretty scarce. i’ve had a license since i was 15, and i use it every single day to get places, but i love driving anyways. i’m actually planning on getting my motorcycle license pretty soon, but in the future i’d like to complete my pilots license (just need some more hours and a test) and get my boating license. i like the idea of being able to legally operate any type of vehicle or means of transportation should an opportunity present itself!

banana monkey
1 hour ago, Spookchi Boonut said:

At least in the UK, it’s much less of a necessity. 

I think it depends where you are. I have a UK learners liscence. I havent really got the movtivation or time to learn but travelling (particularly for my job) would be so much easier if I had a licence. Though honestly I I think it may be easier to just change jobs! 

I was going to post to say that this poll just shows the difference between UK and US system. In the UK we have learners and full liscence nothing inbetween. We do have different types of full licence but they are still full licences. 

Just now, banana monkey said:

We do have different types of full licence but they are still full licences. 

I think some motorbike ones are still restricted in the UK, depending on age/experience.

banana monkey
Just now, Iam9man said:

I think some motorbike ones are still restricted in the UK, depending on age/experience.

oh yes. but unless you have a full motobike licence. I'm counting it as a learners licence ( i am of the understanding that that is what it is) as you have not taken the test and are still learning but i get what you are saying. 

I have a full licence but I don't own a car. I don't qualify for a parking permit at work (I'm not sufficiently disadvantaged as I don't have children) so that means I need a season ticket anyway, and having a car just for the weekends isn't cost-effective. Generally it's not an issue really, but I do miss not being able to drive out into the countryside when the mood takes me.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't drive. I appreciate the responses!

Sometimes, it can get annoying and feel a bit lonely when my sibling likes to criticize me for it and puts down cycling (he assumes I'm the only adult who doesn't drive, that everyone else does, and thinks that cycling is only for children).

Our parent bought his car for him and pay for his insurance; I didn't want my parents to do that for me. That's only one, small part of the reason why I don't like to drive: I also feel very uncomfortable and worried about accidents, while trying to drive--especially after hearing about my parents' car being hit by others (including when I was a passenger in the car) and seeing how locals like to drive fast, not signal, etc.

I have a full licence to drive cars. My country's licence is valid in the EU. I was a clumsy and angsty driver at first but I had to make it work. I gave cold sweats to a few instructors. The last one was right to let me pass though. I have been driving for 20 years without any accident or speed fine.

I travelled to the US for work and had a nice road trip in Texas. I had to buy an international licence to drive there. This was basically a translation. The trafic rules are quite different from where I come from. I should have documented this part of my trip more.

Archived