IRS puts unfair focus on the poor because they are easier to audit, ARTICLES

GlamRocker

1 hour ago, Gloomy said:

So if I have kids and raise them to believe that our house is full of invisible elves that nobody can see, feel, hear, sense, or observe in any way, then the burden of proof is on them to prove otherwise if they stop believing me? That’s not how it works.

not if they stop believing you, but in order to stop believing you.

You realize it would be impossible to prove there isn’t an invisible elf that nobody can sense or observe in any way, right?

2 hours ago, Gloomy said:

You realize it would be impossible to prove there isn’t an invisible elf that nobody can sense or observe in any way, right?

sounds like someone trying to argue that a government isn't worth what it costs to operate, but my parents have always told me that elf is there and no one's been able to disprove that yet

31 minutes ago, gisiebob said:

sounds like someone trying to argue that a government isn't worth what it costs to operate, but my parents have always told me that elf is there and no one's been able to disprove that yet

More like nobody has proven to me that the initiation of force by people who think they’re better than the rest of us because they’re the government, resulting in the loss of life, liberty, and property is worth it. I became an apostate twice in my life, once when I left Christianity, and again when I left statism. I see no logical reason to look back unless theists and statists fulfill their burden of proof.

This thread began on the IRS and is not about small vs big government.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, Gloomy said:

An individual under the non-aggression principal has no reason to kill someone else except in self-defense, and if someone else does try to kill them then that’s what the 2nd Amendment is for

Ah.  The 2nd Amendment, which I believe was put in place by government.  Just as all laws were.  

This is a good moment to get back on topic, please 

The IRS was actually telling the truth: 1) the IRS has not been properly funded for years; 2) they are not prioritizing the poor, because they are not placing MORE emphasis on the poor.  They are being even-handed between the poor and the rich.  

You may not like that (I don't), but until they're properly funded to go after the rich who have whole legal firms to defend them against being taxed, that's the situation.  It would be nice if federal tax law were changed, but Congress would have to do that.  Congress generally likes to pass tax breaks for corporations, not change the system so corporations pay more.  

The IRS, like most of our wonderful corporatist government, is in the pockets of the rich, so it doesn’t surprise me that they would avoid auditing them.

Sorry, I would have loved to stay on topic, but people keep quoting me, otherwise I would have just left it at “Yep I think nobody should have to pay taxes.” Oh and the right to bear arms is a right, not a law, and good luck taking that away without *drumroll* the government.

In comparison, I was watching a lecture last week on revenue audits in Ireland (I have to do so many hours a year of these lectures as part of my job) and a point raised was that our revenue auditors prefer to see tax advisors and accountants present in revenue audits with their clients as the Revenue find the advisors presence beneficial. 

Of course, there is a difference in Ireland that not everyone is self assessed so their is a smaller net of potential individuals to be revenue audited. 

Archived