Ela Przybylo's book "Asexual Erotics"

Homer

A new book by Illinois State University’s Ela Przybylo challenges long-held misconceptions about asexuality. Asexuality is generally defined as not experiencing sexual attraction. That definition still places human connections and intimacy in terms of sex, leaving asexuality and aromanticism (low levels of romantic attraction) on the outside.

October 2, 2019 — https://news.illinoisstate.edu/2019/10/a-new-lens-to-view-asexuality/

RoseGoesToYale

I might just have to pick up a copy of that.

Jeesh, I don't know about the book, but that pull-quote is really, really stupid. "That definition" of asexuality certainly does no such thing as "place human connections and intimacy in terms of sex..." That sentence makes no sense. And aromanticism does not mean low levels of romantic attraction, just as asexuality does not mean low levels of sexual attraction. Jeesh.

3 minutes ago, Whatsis said:

And aromanticism does not mean low levels of romantic attraction, just as asexuality does not mean low levels of sexual attraction. Jeesh.

GASP!

:D 

scarletlatitude

I finally got to one before @Homer :P 

https://news.illinoisstate.edu/2019/10/a-new-lens-to-view-asexuality/

2 October 2019

Illinois State University news

Here is a small snip:

A new book by Illinois State University’s Ela Przybylo challenges long-held misconceptions about asexuality.

Asexuality is generally defined as not experiencing sexual attraction. That definition still places human connections and intimacy in terms of sex, leaving asexuality and aromanticism (low levels of romantic attraction) on the outside.

In her new book, Asexual Erotics: Intimate Readings of Compulsory Sexuality, Przybylo seeks to redefine how we look at asexuality. “There are so many negative stereotypes. That someone is simply repressed, lazy, conservative, or ‘has not met the right person.’ These undermine the legitimacy of the orientation,” said Przybylo, an assistant professor of English at Illinois State.

• 1 month later...

Archived