Hormone Imbalance

Galactic Turtle

Galactic Turtle

Hello humans. :)

I've heard mentioned that many believe some "cases" of asexuality to because by a hormone issue.

But what exactly are the hormone issues (for men or women) that would result in zero sexual desire/libido?

What are signs of this?

Also, if this imbalance has been a lifelong situation, would trying to rectify it result in many issues?

RoseGoesToYale
23 minutes ago, Galactic Turtle said:

Also, if this imbalance has been a lifelong situation, would trying to rectify it result in many issues?

Well, there's no guarantee getting the hormone imbalance corrected will result in an upshoot of libido. Some people just have naturally low ones regardless.

That said, if libido did increase, and said person was used to not having to deal with it for that long a time, I imagine suddenly having to masturbate/have sex a lot more could be a bit inconvenient until they got used to it.

• Like 1
AceMissBehaving

There are quite a few, but I suspect most if not all come with additional symptoms, most can typically be managed with some form of intervention, be that through medication or something else. 

I have for example have an under active thyroid, for which one of the symptoms can be a lowered libido. The more pronounced symptoms however are weight gain, hair loss, depression, fatigue, excessively dry skin, poor circulation, cold extremities amongst other things.

I have to take medications everyday to maintain the right levels, and it’s a lifelong thing like say diabetes would be.

With treatment however all of the above cleared up, along with something of an uptick in libido. My asexuality pre-dated the condition, and medication didn’t in anyway “cure” my asexuality. It didn’t activate attractions that weren’t there, or spark a sudden increase in interest towards having sex. 

It just made a less bald, less depressed asexual who’s feet don’t turn blue in the winter anymore.

AceMissBehaving
14 minutes ago, CBC said:

When my hormone levels returned to something more normal, I didn't experience any biologically-driven needs to masturbate or have sex. Those things have always felt entirely like choices to me, choices borne of things like boredom or stress/anxiety relief or just "why not, it feels good" in the case of masturbation, or a desire for intimacy with my partner or "eh why not, it's fun" in regards to sex. The one thing I do remember from around that time (about 12-13 years ago) is what I guess is the female equivalent of wet dreams. Waking up feeling physically aroused. But I didn't feel like I needed to masturbate and I didn't suddenly start seeking out sexual partners. (And the arousal during sleep eventually stopped, I suppose maybe as things evened out? I can't even recall the last time that happened. Years ago now.)

Same here 

• Like 1

Hormone imbalances in AFAB can cause facial hair growth, mood swings, messed up period, cysts, etc. They can also cause cancer, diabetes, heart issues to become more common. Who cares about libido, its important to have balanced hormones for health. 

Not sure if my stats would help the situation but I'm a 25 year old female with normal levels of estrogen and high levels of testosterone. Still Ace. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny that so many asexuals are accused of this. I actually have minor hormone imbalances due to a medical issue I learned of just a couple of years ago. I've only been taking medicine for it for a couple of months now, but it has in no way affected my (lack of) interest in sex lol