Organ Donation upon death

R_1

Organ Donation Upon Death Census  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should one be a organ donor by default?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What if there's a unexpected death, and you don't know the wish of that person? Organ Donor by default here?

• Yes
    • No

On 10/3/2019 at 11:26 PM, Mysticus Insanus said:

At the very least, I know I'd have to be ready to bear the consequence of living with a life of guilt if I resuscitated someone who didn't want it.

Ressucitation is only temporary, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
Mysterywriter221

For myself, I wish the assumption was that, unless otherwise indicated, a dead person is an organ donor. I'll be horribly offended if I die without my driver's license or NHS donor card on me and my organs aren't used. That hospital better be prepared to get haunted. 

I might get an organ donor tattoo, just in case. 

29 minutes ago, Mysterywriter221 said:

For myself, I wish the assumption was that, unless otherwise indicated, a dead person is an organ donor. I'll be horribly offended if I die without my driver's license or NHS donor card on me and my organs aren't used. That hospital better be prepared to get haunted. 

I might get an organ donor tattoo, just in case. 

I'm not certain that medical professionals are allowed to legally regard tattoos as the will of the deceased. Identification and database technology is always improving though, so checking for donor status will become increasingly more efficient. 

Mysterywriter221

Technically, in my state I only need to sign and date my advanced directive and have two adult witnesses sign it as well to make it legally binding. 

That being said, I don't think there's a doctor alive who wouldn't wait until they had another form of consent before harvesting my organs. But if it gives healthcare providers a chance to prepare for harvesting while they wait for my family to arrive I'm all for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, GhostGoesToWail said:

No, I believe the wishes of the deceased should be respected. If they didn't make their preferences clear beforehand, I assume an automatic no for organ donation.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:34 PM, Mysticus Insanus said:

Opt-out means consent is treated as the default. That's unacceptable.

I strongly second both of these.

The hospital has to have either verbal consent of the family members who are present at the time of death, or a written consent to harvest the person's organs.  

Archived