Breatharianism!

crazy ace

Shoot, I accidentally posted in this forum because I misread it as Philosophy, Politics, and Pseudoscience. :[

I've read about this before. The idea that people can live without eating is considered such nonsense that even Wikipedia seems to be subtly poking fun at it: "It is an established fact that humans require food and water (nutrients) to survive."

The kicker is how some of its proponents have bent over backwards (and then some) to justify it. They'll claim that the food in their houses is for their families, say that the air is too polluted for it to work as they become sick, and so on. They're basically con artists, except they're trying to separate others from their food instead of their money... or both, occasionally.

You think that's wack, check out Valeria Lukyanova, the human barbie who claimed to BE a breatharian.

Meh. If they're honest about it instead of the far more likely possibility of just being frauds... breatharianism is a problem that will solve itself within a couple of weeks. 😈

Isn't that just a fancy was of saying "I only eat when nobody's looking"?

RoseGoesToYale

Ah, pseudoscience, the other birth control method.

2 hours ago, Gloomy said:

Isn't that just a fancy was of saying "I only eat when nobody's looking"?

This, too. The idea of getting "busted" for something as simple as going to a restaurant (which has happened) is kind of amusing. Maybe it's the schadenfreude factor.

Not to mention, it'd be harder to hide with social media and widespread cameras.

(Thank my browser for knowing how to spell "schadenfreude" better than me, by the way.)

It's a way to end up dead quite quickly 

As long as parents can't force kids to do it then I try and respect it (even if it's dumb and false)

Oh, it works very well!! 

If you're a plant. 

25 minutes ago, Poe's Creep Meta said:

Oh, it works very well!! 

If you're a plant. 

Nice one!

Duke Memphis

I think SpongeBob tried this before when he was scared to go outside and actually live.

I can definitely stop eating and drinking for the rest of my life no problem.

Seriously though, the fact that this is a thing in 2019 is mind-boggling.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I can definitely stop eating and drinking for the rest of my life no problem.

Seriously though, the fact that this is a thing in 2019 is mind-boggling.

Well you can stop eating and drinking for the rest of your life the problem is how long you would live for.(first post)

7 hours ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

Even plants need (varying amounts of) water.

Yup, and some minerals too. 

But they do get their energy out of (mainly) air and sunlight. ~

Never underestimate human gullibility. I actually know a doctor (fortunately not practicing) who believes some people can live from sunlight, because they've read about it somewhere...

• 5 months later...

On 10/3/2019 at 2:18 PM, PoeciMeta said:

Oh, it works very well!! 

If you're a plant. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/07/solar-powered-photosynthetic-sea-slugs-in-decline-news/

• 2 weeks later...
long nights

I read a couple has been living like this for a while. Don't know how accurate it is.

I'm a hard believer in physical science. This stuff is only funny in a sad way that some people believe it.

nanogretchen4

I read a science fiction novel in which people "discovered" that humans could get all of their energy requirements from music. High levels of obesity in industrialized countries were supposedly caused by people eating on top of listening to music all the time. I think it was the third novel of a trilogy that presented this, um, surprising plot twist.

Archived