asexuality affects how my brain works

songchick

I feel like asexuality affects how my brain works.  It affects how i perceive people.  It affects how I process non-verbal physical communication.  (I CAN'T.)  It affects how I interpret the words that people say to me, neglecting to read between the lines.  It affects the content of the thoughts that are in my mind.  It affects how I relate to others.  It affects how I understand terms like "sexuality" and "libido," and I feel like my personal understandings of these words is different than how allosexuals understand these words.  For many, the vocabulary of sex is freeing and liberating.  For me, it feels like prison.  It feels like uncontrolled urges that cause loss of control and the abandonment of rational thought.  These words represent feelings that I do not understand, and that deficit can make me feel like I am an incomplete person that is fundamentally broken.  It causes me to feel anger at myself when I have a sexual reaction to something.  It also makes me want to focus on my non-sexual character traits, namely my intellect, professional career and proficiency in creative outlets.

Who relates?

lilyofthevalley

Definitely! I tend to accidentally say stuff that has really sexual subtext without noticing(so many normal sounding phrases turn out to be so worrying). All that stuff is just outside my frame of reference. 

Janus the Fox

When nothing sexual affects my brain than yeah, Asexuality affects the brain of mine too.

Asexuality is the result of how your brain works, and everything you experience, including asexuality, affects how you brain works. How meta.

14 hours ago, songchick said:

It affects how I process non-verbal physical communication.  (I CAN'T.)

Sounds more like the result of neurodiversity than asexuality.

6 hours ago, theV0ID said:

Asexuality is the result of how your brain works, and everything you experience, including asexuality, affects how you brain works. How meta.

Sounds more like the result of neurodiversity than asexuality.

Hm.  Maybe I'm full of shit?  damn.  

@songchick, no, your not full of shit. @TheVoidhas made a reasonable suggestion, that some of the traits you display are comorbid with neurodiversity, but, by the same token, you can be neurotypical and asexual as well. If you are concerned, candy have the inclination there are online sites you can use, such as "The Aspie Test" which provide pointers, as opposed to detailed medical analysis as to whether this may be the case.

You say that having a sexual reaction to something causes you anger. Just remember that part of this is hormonal rather than cerebral or orientation related. Sometimes the body is ready for action even if the brain does not know what's going on. 

@songchick It is the lack of a mindseye that makes it difficult for me to become attracted, not the other way around. But I do get what you mean because our experiences influence our inner world and this in turn influences how we perceive things, think, feel behave and so on, so it is all changing all the time

This page here is from Exeter University. It is an update regarding Aphantasia and they are talking here about how we can see things opposite way around to other people and they mention Aphantantastic folk sometimes scoring highish on the Autism Spectrum tests and so on

http://sites.exeter.ac.uk/eyesmind/extremeimagination2019/

Regarding the interpretation of the world and words etc, can I get back to you about that tomorrow we have had such a long day and are both needing to get to bed, but I will be online tomorrow

@songchickI have spent most of today trying to compile a list of things that I used to say to my wife and stuff she would say to me so that I could show you how crazy things can get around here but it is just not coming together very well. I will keep on trying and once it demonstrates things better I will post it

The confusion around here is 100% because she sees stuff in her head and I don't, definitely. But the good news is we have found ways around this. Honestly, I will try to post about this soon when I get it together better

In the meantime, I don't know if you have seen this but this is very much what I am doing. 

Again, because AVEN requires me to do this I must emphasis that I am not a Doctor or a Therapist and that just because this works for me does not mean it will work for anybody else and I must advise that if anybody here wants to use this they really must speak to a qualified professional

This takes a lot of time and effort but it has stabalised my brain problems and I don't need medication no more. My problems though are not these listed here, my stuff is related to Aphantasia and brain damage from a brain hemorrhage. I am still doing good with this though!! 

https://thepaleodiet.com/schizophrenia-and-the-paleo-diet/amp/

Archived