TV series preference

iff

Preference for TV viewing  

68 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to watch a TV series

• Weekly episode
    • All episodes in a row

This poll is closed to new votes

How do you prefer to watch a TV series. Only two choices for simplicity on this poll as it is a question of preference. 

All episodes at once or weekly. 

If I have to wait, I tend to get distracted. If I miss one week, it makes it less likely I'll continue the week-to-week cycle and just wait to watch it all at the end. It's why I tend to not watch current stuff.

If you watch an episode per week, each one has more impact, because you actually have time to process it.

Depends on the series, the network or streaming service it's on and how invested I am in the characters and plot. Also, I don't always have time to sit around and "binge" watch in one go. I like stringing it out a bit too; that way I not only can process the story, etc., I can enjoy it over a longer period of time.

I sometimes do both, but I prefer splitting up the series to prevent burnout and allow for more impactful spacing between episodes.

I wonder if there is a generational split?

I grew up when the only way to watch shows was to watch them as they aired, whether it was weekly episodes or daily reruns in syndication. That's the way I still prefer to watch. At most I might watch a 2-parter back to back (never did care for the "to be continued" idea). But to sit and and watch more episodes or even a whole season in one sitting (or a few in rapid succession) is a no go for me.

Also, like @fuzzipueo said, I like to savor a good show. :) 

5 hours ago, daveb said:

I wonder if there is a generational split?

I grew up when the only way to watch shows was to watch them as they aired, whether it was weekly episodes or daily reruns in syndication. That's the way I still prefer to watch. At most I might watch a 2-parter back to back (never did care for the "to be continued" idea). But to sit and and watch more episodes or even a whole season in one sitting (or a few in rapid succession) is a no go for me.

Also, like @fuzzipueo said, I like to savor a good show. :) 

More than likely on the generational thing. Even with cable TV we still had to wait for the next installment of the series - having access to the internet really has shifted the way people watch or consume media.

As for watching a series, with the week in between, you actually had time to speculate and ponder the possibilities between episodes, especially with friends who were also watching. More fun that way!

I don't have a TV subscription, but on Netflix I like watching 1-2 episodes a day if I have to wait a whole month I mostly lose interest but I don't really have time to watch more than 3 episodes a day (but most times I get bored after 2)

Weekly, the idea of watching even a couple of episodes back to back is too much for me 

scarletlatitude

I like having control over when I watch it. Sometimes I don't have the mental energy to pay attention to a show. It's nice to have DVR and on demand shows so that I can watch when my brains are on straight. 

J. van Deijck

I just love to have a choice.

that's why I like Netflix, because there I can decide how many I watch and when.

SpaceDustbin

Depends on the type of series, but I still like the weekly episode concept, especially if there's a few series running around the same time, so there's something to look forward to ;)  (and watching it weekly when it comes out is the best way to avoid spoilers. Though that did get me some sleep deprivation this spring, watching Game of Thrones episodes Monday mornings at 3 am :ph34r:😂 )

If seasons are released all in one go a la Netflix, then i might be tempted to watch 2 or 3 episodes in a row, but I'm still not too much of a binge-watcher.

I haven't watched TV in years, but sometimes I do feel a bit nostalgic about the weekly episodes. With Netflix and other streaming services, some of the excitement is definitely gone. It's like being allowed to unwrap your Christmas gifts whenever you like instead of having to wait for the 'official' handing out of presents.

I do like the advantages that streaming services offer; but I'm not a binge-watcher, either.

• 11 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived