Pau1ina

Our president is a deeply stupid man

Skycaptain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50979463

Something tells me that this is not going to prove to be a step towards peace and harmony, especially as Iran has a long relationship with Russia. 

• Like 2

Nick2

Right...wonder who's kids were just marked for death because of this?

• Like 2

Skycaptain
42 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Right...wonder who's kids were just marked for death because of this?

I'm not planning on flying on a plane with a USA carrier in the near future for starters 

• Like 2

michaeld
On 12/19/2019 at 4:31 AM, Sally said:

The President is now impeached.  The Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, has done something quite smart, I think:  she will not send the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate until she is informed what their rules and process will be.  The leader of the Senate, McConnell, said that he will not be impartial, and that he intends that the Senate will find the President innocent.  Until that happens, Trump can't yell at everyone that he's won, and until Pelosi sends the Articles over, the Senate can't put on their show trial.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:54 PM, daveb said:

I think Pelosi is more savvy than some people give her credit for. She isn't sending it to the Senate yet, because the Republicans there have stated flat out that they are not impartial and are basically just going to rush it through and have already decided Trump didn't do anything wrong.

Given all this, I wonder why they are sending it through now? What's changed (if anything)? I think they were better off waiting (indefinitely if needed) until there was some indication it was going to be a proper trial, which was never gonna happen.

• Like 2

Acing It
On 1/3/2020 at 7:40 AM, Skycaptain said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50979463

Something tells me that this is not going to prove to be a step towards peace and harmony, especially as Iran has a long relationship with Russia. 

Imagine what would happen if it was the other way round, if at all possible.

• Like 1

daveb
6 hours ago, michaeld said:

Given all this, I wonder why they are sending it through now? What's changed (if anything)? I think they were better off waiting (indefinitely if needed) until there was some indication it was going to be a proper trial, which was never gonna happen.

Good question.

gisiebob

maybe it is a matter of providing enough time for a fair trial to take place even if there isn't one expected

Sally

The House Dems wanted to try to get some agreement about trial process.  When it was clear that the Republicans would  not budge, then Pelosi decided to send the Articles over to the Senate, which they've done.  Obviously, it wouldn't have made any sense to continue waiting.  

gisiebob

it could also be that continuing to wait would start damaging public notoriety, unfortunately an important factor in this.

daveb
45 minutes ago, gisiebob said:

damaging public notoriety

? What does that mean?

• Like 1

gisiebob
1 minute ago, daveb said:

? What does that mean?

means people watching tv saying "that's still a thing? boring"

daveb
Just now, gisiebob said:

means people watching tv saying "that's still a thing? boring"

I still don't know what that particular phrase means. Damaging notoriety just doesn't make sense to me.

But to get back to the impeachment and the Senate trial, I wonder how fair of a trial it will be. All of the senators swore an oath and signed an "oath book". Personally I think there is enough new evidence and enough witnesses that haven't been heard from that if they try to rush the trial through without addressing those things it will be a travesty. Imagine a regular criminal trial being run that way. In addition it looks like the president has committed more crimes, such as the one the GAO (Government Accounting Office) reported just today.

Nick2
7 hours ago, daveb said:

I still don't know what that particular phrase means. Damaging notoriety just doesn't make sense to me.

But to get back to the impeachment and the Senate trial, I wonder how fair of a trial it will be. All of the senators swore an oath and signed an "oath book". Personally I think there is enough new evidence and enough witnesses that haven't been heard from that if they try to rush the trial through without addressing those things it will be a travesty. Imagine a regular criminal trial being run that way. In addition it looks like the president has committed more crimes, such as the one the GAO (Government Accounting Office) reported just today.

The Senate will give him a pass.  If he wins reelection, imagine what he will be like over the next 4 years.

• Like 1

Yatogami

The house is partisan, and was completely partisan with the impeachment process. But they have the audacity to question the fairness of the senate trial? what a load of horseshit. The senate, has the sole power over the trial. Just as the house has the sole power to impeach. Any attempts to manipulate the senate, is an abuse of power. Which is ironic, because that is what they are accusing Trump of.