Our president is a deeply stupid man

Pau1ina

it could also be that continuing to wait would start damaging public notoriety, unfortunately an important factor in this.

45 minutes ago, gisiebob said:

damaging public notoriety

? What does that mean?

1 minute ago, daveb said:

? What does that mean?

means people watching tv saying "that's still a thing? boring"

Just now, gisiebob said:

means people watching tv saying "that's still a thing? boring"

I still don't know what that particular phrase means. Damaging notoriety just doesn't make sense to me.

But to get back to the impeachment and the Senate trial, I wonder how fair of a trial it will be. All of the senators swore an oath and signed an "oath book". Personally I think there is enough new evidence and enough witnesses that haven't been heard from that if they try to rush the trial through without addressing those things it will be a travesty. Imagine a regular criminal trial being run that way. In addition it looks like the president has committed more crimes, such as the one the GAO (Government Accounting Office) reported just today.

7 hours ago, daveb said:

I still don't know what that particular phrase means. Damaging notoriety just doesn't make sense to me.

But to get back to the impeachment and the Senate trial, I wonder how fair of a trial it will be. All of the senators swore an oath and signed an "oath book". Personally I think there is enough new evidence and enough witnesses that haven't been heard from that if they try to rush the trial through without addressing those things it will be a travesty. Imagine a regular criminal trial being run that way. In addition it looks like the president has committed more crimes, such as the one the GAO (Government Accounting Office) reported just today.

The Senate will give him a pass.  If he wins reelection, imagine what he will be like over the next 4 years.

The house is partisan, and was completely partisan with the impeachment process. But they have the audacity to question the fairness of the senate trial? what a load of horseshit. The senate, has the sole power over the trial. Just as the house has the sole power to impeach. Any attempts to manipulate the senate, is an abuse of power. Which is ironic, because that is what they are accusing Trump of. 

On 1/16/2020 at 9:04 PM, daveb said:

But to get back to the impeachment and the Senate trial, I wonder how fair of a trial it will be. 

Daveb, I can't believe you haven't read about McConnell and others in the Senate saying they are not going to be impartial.  McConnell has said for some time that he will be collaborating closely with the White House.  Come on.  

1 hour ago, Sally said:

Daveb, I can't believe you haven't read about McConnell and others in the Senate saying they are not going to be impartial.  McConnell has said for some time that he will be collaborating closely with the White House.  Come on.  

I have read/heard all of that.

8 minutes ago, daveb said:

I have read/heard all of that.

Then how can you seriously wonder about how fair the trial will be?  

Surely the only way we'll know whether it's a fair trial is when it takes place. 

Even if people are indicating that they will vote along party lines, maybe the evidence presented will be so overwhelming one way or another that they'll change their minds. The assumption of innocence should apply as much to the jury as to the accused 

Calligraphette_Coe
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Surely the only way we'll know whether it's a fair trial is when it takes place. 

Even if people are indicating that they will vote along party lines, maybe the evidence presented will be so overwhelming one way or another that they'll change their minds. The assumption of innocence should apply as much to the jury as to the accused 

I think they're hoping for a 'Nixon Surprise', where something so probably dirty comes into public  purview that they have to change the narrative, and like with Nixon, Trump will see the handwriting on the wall and do the best thing for the country and abdicate.

Of course, in the Universe that that would happen in, Spock has a beard. Trump is so morally bereft and narcisissitic that there is zero chance that is going to happen. Everyone knows it, and the Republicans are playing 'Texas Sharpshooter', where the miscreants fire bullets into a barn and draw the bullseye on the best group after that fact.

The best possible outcome to all this? That the electorate finally gets tired of this crappy game and the politicians finally do the brave thing and start the wheels rolling towards an Independent party. I think it could take decades to realize this dream, but it's usually the people who play the Long Game that do the best by the electorate.

I had a thought the other day that might just be a way down that path-- that the Constitution be amended to allow only one term for the President, but at the end of that term, they and the Vice President are Constitutionally allowed to run for a second term, but MUST switch places. This would allow a popular president to still be in the loop, but would probably discourage real unpopular powermongers to leave in a snit.

Archived