Our president is a deeply stupid man

Pau1ina

The other day I heard someone say that his problem is he's acting like a businessman, not a politician. I think there's some truth to that. And also some truth in that he has no clue what he's doing.

You think it's possible to be incredibly stupid and be as successful of a businessman as he is? He's also saved our economy in the time since he has become President.. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they are stupid.

Saved it from what? It was doing fine. The only thing he has done is explode the deficit by spending on credit.

Whether or not he is a successful businessman is a seriously debated question. He inherited his fortune and few banks will even lend to him (none in America).

Calligraphette_Coe
33 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

You think it's possible to be incredibly stupid and be as successful of a businessman as he is? He's also saved our economy in the time since he has become President.. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they are stupid.

It also doesn't make them smart. How smart does on have to be to lose a billion (that's billion with a B) over 10 years. How smart doesn't someone have to be to have severral businesses go bankrupt and screwing over the investors and lenders? Is it smart to be immoral and not pay back money you borrowed?

I started with literally nothing and _I_ never went bankrupt, never failed to repay a loan and I haven't had to borrow money for over 30 years. His father gave him something like 400 million as a child-- what would a truly smart person have done with that much money if they were a gifted business person? By all rights, with a decent rate of return, he should be richer than Bill Gates over the 70 years he's had that money.

Calligraphette_Coe
8 hours ago, daveb said:

True. And that's one thing con-artists count on (that and people thinking they are the ones getting a better deal).

I read a saying that was both profound and humous at the same time a few years ago:

If you're in a high level meeting with a conference-room full of sharks, and you can't spot the sucker-- it's you1

1 hour ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they are stupid.

True.  However, just because you like someone doesn't mean theyre not stupid, and he  is.  

1 hour ago, Calligraphette_Coe said:

I read a saying that was both profound and humous at the same time a few years ago:

If you're in a high level meeting with a conference-room full of sharks, and you can't spot the sucker-- it's you

As long as you don't bite you're probably safe. Otherwise you could have buyer's remoras.

Trump inherited a good economy and if it has gotten worse it's not for lack of trying on his part (trade wars and other risky business). So yeah, not unlike his business career, in which he inherited lots of money (or was "loaned"/gifted it) and managed to lose so much. It's like something I have heard in the past; "to make a small fortune at X, start with a large fortune".

That's the problem, everyone hears things said out of context from liberal news sources and runs with it because they want reasons to justify hating him. For example, it was made to look as though he is racist but if he were racist then why would Kanye West be one of his biggest supporters? The two are friends.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

However, just because you like someone doesn't mean theyre not stupid, and he  is.  

I don't have to agree with every one of someone's behaviors to recognize that they make a good president. It was between Trump and Hillary - if Hillary had been elected we would have been screwed because she wouldn't have kept illegal immigrants out. A nation without borders isn't a nation at all. We had people here already struggling to find work, to let people enter the country illegally who feel entitled to jobs that should go to the people already living here is insane. We can't fix things from the inside if the country isn't secure, and Trump is ensuring that the country is more secure. It is because he is president now that we will be able to have a more peaceful leader later, like Bernie Sanders or Andrew Yang.

7 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

That's the problem, everyone hears things said out of context from liberal  Fox News and runs with it because they want reasons to justify hating supporting him.

fify.

Calligraphette_Coe
24 minutes ago, daveb said:

As long as you don't bite you're probably safe. Otherwise you could have buyer's remoras.

Know why businesspeople like the Big T are probbly always safe from getting bitten in a shark tank?

Professional courtesy.  ;)

I'm not permitted to talk with customers anymore-- I never seemed to learn that old saw about not getting caught in a lie was the same thing as telling the truth.

That's REALLY on display in this impeachment flap- I mean really, right there in the transcipt, you have the head of the Ukranian government saying he would like to buy more Javelins, and the VERY NEXT line from Trump is 'I'd like you to do us a favor, though......".

Not a quid pro quo?  C'mon! Even Ripley wouldn't believe that one!

54 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

@Sally Do you realize that you are just taking everything I say and flipping it around? It feels like I'm talking to a 10 year old. I give up.

@Moon Spirit ☽, yes, I've done that twice out of frustration, and I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have.

But what you have said about  Trump is simply not true.  None of it is.  He has not shown competence, let alone intelligence, in anything he's done in his life.  Far from being a 10-year-old (I won't say how far), I'm old enough to have observed him for years, and am very concerned about what he's done to this country, and what he can still do over the coming year.  Perhaps you should read and listen more before you continue to blindly support him.   

"He has not shown competence, let alone intelligence, in anything he's done in his life"

This sounds like an opinion, and it's flawed because you don't know everything he has done over the course of his life. And you are overlooking the achievements he has made during his presidency.

"concerned about what he's done to this country"

That could be said for pretty much any president. They've all done both good and bad things for the country. Atleast he hasn't started any unnecessary wars, we can be thankful for that. If all you're focusing on are his mistakes then you won't see the full picture.

5 hours ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they are stupid.

All I have to do is listen when he opens his mouth and words come out.  (His brilliant take on Puerto Rico: "This is an island surrounded by water.  Big water.  Ocean water.")

Stephen Miller and the others who are really in charge are happy to have Trump get all the attention while they deal behind the scenes.  He is their dream come true.

3 hours ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

"He has not shown competence, let alone intelligence, in anything he's done in his life"

This sounds like an opinion, and it's flawed because you don't know everything he has done over the course of his life. And you are overlooking the achievements he has made during his presidency.

"concerned about what he's done to this country"

That could be said for pretty much any president. They've all done both good and bad things for the country. Atleast he hasn't started any unnecessary wars, we can be thankful for that. If all you're focusing on are his mistakes then you won't see the full picture.

What has he done for this country?  That's a sincere question.  Give specifics.  

I'd say he's more arrogant and predisposed to hateful beliefs than stupid. I don't like the guy one bit, but he's definitely gotten to where he is today by making smart decisions for himself.

4 hours ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

That could be said for pretty much any president. They've all done both good and bad things for the country. Atleast he hasn't started any unnecessary wars, we can be thankful for that.

(1) "The others did X, too" is about as weak an argument as it gets.

(2) Would you say that the trade war with China is necessary?

Doughnald's only accomplishment is making Dronebama look acceptable. That's quite difficult to do.

I have to agree about Trump making Obama look good. I went deny I loved him when he was in office since I wasn't very smart or informed, but learning about stuff that was actually going on with Obama makes me pay attention to Trump. And yeah, I hated Hilary because I thought she'd be Obama 2.0 but would still vote for her over this buffoon.

16 hours ago, Sally said:

Trump appeals to people whose fear has caused them to be angry.  

This is what makes him effective.

There is a large demographic of Americans that think just like him. 

I have heard countless people that hated immigrants, not realizing how heavily dependent the US or any western multicultural country is on them.

17 hours ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

...For example, it was made to look as though he is racist but if he were racist then why would Kanye West be one of his biggest supporters? The two are friends...

African-Americans have referred to this as the "black friend" defense, which they've said doesn't automatically mean a person isn't racist.

https://apnews.com/c7e6681046e3463aa9967a8302e5a102

As to why people were referring to Trump as racist, well, last year, an aide mentioned what he'd said in a meeting.

(TW for swear word)

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-referred-haiti-african-countries-shithole-nations-n836946

He is clearly a Russian asset and the GOP seems to be fine with that.  I think they want to be the new American Oligarchs.  We are a democracy in name only now.  They tell us "things are fine"  "Look at our economy"  all the while robbing the country blind.

Calligraphette_Coe
1 hour ago, Moonman said:

Donald Trump himself claims that he was given a business loan of $1 million. The highest number I can find on the internet in relation to how much money his father gave him places it at $140 million in today's money. According to Forbes, his estimated net worth is $3.1 billion but supposedly a lot of his portfolio is private and can't possibly be equated for. Trump himself claims that his net worth is closer to $10 billion but either way, there's no story I can find that places his inheritance anywhere near $400 million and even so, to create $3 billion from that is surely the mark of a savvy businessman. 

Trump frequently claimed to have a net work of 10 billion.

As for articles, it wasn't very difficult to come up with this one:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_of_Donald_Trump#targetText=Trump reported a yearly income,January 2015 to May 2016.

Also, you seem to be unaware of the Law of 72s ( 72/percentage= number of years it takes for an amount to double)-- at 5%, the principle amount doubles every 14 years. So over 50 some years, the principle would have doubled 4 times- 400 million, 800 million, 1.6 billion, 3.2 billion. A really savvy business person should be able to beat a bank.

And if there isn't anything to hide, why doesn't he release his tax returns? People with something to hide ACT like people with something to hide.

BTW, Forbes often calls Trump a master business illusionist.    https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanlappin/2011/05/01/business-illusionist-donald-trump-perfect-for-president/#26bac3104c8b

Calligraphette_Coe
8 minutes ago, Moonman said:

I'm not disputing anything but your claim that he was given $400 million as a child. Everything else is subjective but that particular statement you made, the one about $400 million sounds more like conjecture than anything else to me. 

Ok, I see what you mean-- I was going by the NYT's article. Here is one by Forbes that probably does present a more balanced inspection of how Trump received his money and what he did with it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/berniekent/2018/10/08/new-york-times-fred-donald-trump/#1d5a87a23d46

Calligraphette_Coe
6 minutes ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

@Calligraphette_Coe It's taught in college that Wikipedia isn't a credible source. Anyone can edit it.

Ok, so you're rebutting it with..... what? Anyone can also do what you're doing. I also supplied articles from Forbes in this thread. Do you not trust Forbes, either?

22 hours ago, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

if Hillary had been elected we would have been screwed because she wouldn't have kept illegal immigrants out. A nation without borders isn't a nation at all. We had people here already struggling to find work, to let people enter the country illegally who feel entitled to jobs that should go to the people already living here is insane.

wow. illegal immigrants entering the workforce is such a miniscule source of our unemployment problems that it's nearly trivial.

you have been told a cool story, bro.

Illegal and legal immigrants coming in from Mexico and other Latin-American countries do jobs that Americans won't do or can't afford to do.  That's proven when immigrants are stopped at the border by ICE or raided at their workplaces.  Farmers and orchard owners can't find anyone to pick their produce, construction jobs don't get done because bosses can't find Americans to work for the pay that immigrants do, and restaurants can't find workers, since most people working in the back of restaurants are from Latin American countries.  In fact, a good percentage of workers in America now are low-paid Latin-American immigrants, and high-paid East Indian and Asian computer programmers.   That isn't the fault of immigrants; it's the fault of American corporations who don't want to train American workers or pay them decently.   

Archived