People who don't "get" it

AceEmma85

Hi all,

This is my first post, I am new here! 

I am almost 34 and I realised I was Asexual around ten years ago. MOST of my friends and family have accepted it, with the exception of a few colleagues and customers who have not. My question/ ranting is based at GP's, mostly. When I told my GP I was Asexual they wanted to refer me for some sort of sex therapy session! I was astounded! I know I am Asexual, why don't some people "get" it? I have had to listen to some of my colleagues who have told me that I am not "normal" and that I need "help", it makes me so angry. I have changed doctors THREE times because none of them have understood Asexuality.  They have all wanted to send me somewhere for some sort of treatment. Is that "normal" for GP's? Do they normally do that when Asexuality is bought up in conversation?

Hi and welcome,

I have to be honest in saying that the last time I saw a GP was way back before I had discovered the term asexual, I was taken into hospital in Reading due to being paralysed, the female doctor treating me was Dutch, I believe that if I'd have said to her that I am asexual that she would have known and accepted it, due to what had happened to me more or less overnight, she said it could have been due to a sexually transmitted disease, I told her that I hadn't been in any form of relationship for over 16 years, she accepted it, it does seem that British people, professional or otherwise don't understand the meaning of asexuality, I've been asked if that means I was born with both sets of genitals, if that's another expression for being gay, if it's similar to bisexuality etc, often these questions are asked by highly educated people, so yes, I should think it fairly normal for GP's not to have a clue or think it's something along the lines of forced celibacy.

I guess that we're lucky that society is more acceptable to different orientations, when I was young, you were either gay or straight, if you weren't in a relationship in your 20's as I wasn't, you were seen as gay and there was a huge stigma to being gay, I recall when Bronski Beat released their single Smalltown Boy and the video that went with it, the scandal, it was banned from TV and some radio stations for portraying homosexuality, I must admit, up until I was in my 40's, I'd never even heard of the term asexual, I don't know that to this day that I've ever met another asexual person, asexuality is one of the few orientations still to be recognised in places like here in the UK, the vast majority of British people think I'm talking utter rubbish when I say I'm asexual, that includes my own family, luckily, my friends, some that I've had for well over 30 years, they accept me for who I am rather than my sexuality

Archived