I'm sexual but...

AceMissBehaving
3 minutes ago, Halffull said:

Well if they’re happy to make it, and they’re happy to give a refund then I’m happy to let them. Everyone is happy so what’s the problem? 

Because the person making it has spent money on materials, turned down other work to complete the project and made their budget to live off based on the outcome of this project. If you then send it back they are out the cost of fabrics, the work they couldn’t do to complete the project, and the money they had budgeted for bills and expenses leaving them in a hole with money and now with a dress made specifically to find a unique individual that may take months or even years to sell on for return in investment, and something that can’t be sold for full price because it presumably needs cleaning and now is considered second hand. On top of that the crushing weight off all that and knowing someone lied to you and cheated you intentionally and treated your hard work and passion as garbage. It’s not a victimless crime. If you want the fruits of someone’s work, you pay for it.

How would you feel doing a months work and your boss turning round at the end and saying they aren’t going give you a wage, but will maybe give you 2 weeks off at some point maybe later in the year?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Halffull said:

Well if they’re happy to make it, and they’re happy to give a refund then I’m happy to let them. Everyone is happy so what’s the problem? 

Just that ultimately if too many people go that route the workers get let go because there’s no income to pay them from...

AceMissBehaving
6 minutes ago, Halffull said:

Great idea. I’ll sell on my old jeans 😂

You should, it cuts down on global waste 

1 minute ago, AceMissBehaving said:

Because the person making it has spent money on materials, turned down other work to complete the project and made their budget to live off based on the outcome of this project. If you then send it back they are out the cost of fabrics, the work they couldn’t do to complete the project, and the money they had budgeted for bills and expenses leaving them in a hole with money and now with a dress made specifically to find a unique individual that may take months or even years to sell on for return in investment, and something that can’t be sold for full price because it presumably needs cleaning and now is considered second hand. On top of that the crushing weight off all that and knowing someone lied to you and cheated you intentionally and treated your hard work and passion as garbage. It’s not a victimless crime. If you want the fruits of someone’s work, you pay for it.

How would you feel doing a months work and your boss turning round at the end and saying they aren’t going give you a wage, but will maybe give you 2 weeks off at some point maybe later in the year?

Oh well, next jeans I order better fit then if it’s that big a deal sending them back

10 minutes ago, CBC said:

I break up the monotony of daily life with the bottle of vodka I keep in my freezer.

Eventually that becomes the monotony of everyday life, though. ;)

AceMissBehaving
1 minute ago, Halffull said:

Not as big a waste as wedding dresses it seems

I don’t know, I’m all about paying skilled people a good wage for their work, and I don’t see that as a waste of it’s something they want. But hey you can keep buying stuff made in sweatshops that only profit some big CEO and feel morally superior if that floats your boat.

1 minute ago, AceMissBehaving said:

I don’t know, I’m all about paying skilled people a good wage for their work, and I don’t see that as a waste of it’s something they want. But hey you can keep buying stuff made in sweatshops that only profit some big CEO and feel morally superior if that floats your boat.

Well I see it as a waste spending 10s of thousands for a dress that’ll get worn once 

I think it’s unfair to characterize all formal gatherings as self-centered, although certainly some weddings can be. But when there’s family and friends that care about the couple — family in particular, and parents as a particular subset — it’s an opportunity for them to express that, and formality recognizes the importance to them (realize that they won’t have the bonding & memories the couple already knows for themselves). Seeing their child be married comes after years of caring and watching that person grow.

And in our case, it was the only time our respective parents met each other. Maybe that will happen again, but maybe not.

It’s not the only event people may find meaningful to attend. (I hope they understood at least 20% of my thesis defense??) Didn’t spend as much on that, but I think of it in that zone of “formal events people like to recognize”. 🙂

• Like 2

If I ever get married it's just going to be like.. wild pig on the spit, giant BBQ, probably a hangi too - that's food cooked in sacks under the ground. Lots of beer. I don't need a wedding dress or priest or vows or anything, and we'll sign at the registry office.

But if someone wants to spend all that money on a wedding then *shrug* I guess if they have the money to spend then good for them! I'll come along for the buffet if they invite me :P

2 hours ago, AceMissBehaving said:

Not typically the best application for such delicate fabrics.

A person could sell the dress on after, making it available to people who couldn’t afford that kind of item bought new. 

Charity shops are really good idea fof wedding dresses, either buying from or disposing of to. 

There is a new wedding dress shop in dublin called Belladonna.  I don't think I'd name a wedding shop after something poisonous

2 hours ago, Halffull said:

If I was in the wedding dress business, I'd so Google any returns, deep search on it and see any photos that maybe would be evidence of wearing it or even announcements and such

2 hours ago, Halffull said:

Well I see it as a waste spending 10s of thousands for a dress that’ll get worn once 

Heh yeah ... I spent $30 on mine and it's one I can wear again if I want to (casual 50s style blue dress) but probably won't because I am not really a dress person. 

10 minutes ago, Serran said:

Heh yeah ... I spent $30 on mine and it's one I can wear again if I want to (casual 50s style blue dress) but probably won't because I am not really a dress person. 

I was so confused, I somehow totally forgot you're married haha. I even remember seeing the wedding photos now that I think about it. Congratulations!! (Not sure if I said that at the time) :)

2 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

I was so confused, I somehow totally forgot you're married haha. I even remember seeing the wedding photos now that I think about it. Congratulations!! (Not sure if I said that at the time) :)

Haha thanks. Yeah. Almost two years now... still cant live together. *sigh*

4 hours ago, Serran said:

So why does it cost 30 and not 30k? I don’t get where the mark up comes from. 

15 minutes ago, Halffull said:

Because it was cotton, not French lace with hand made blah and tailored bleh with pearl inlay and blah blah. 😛 I mean the dresses are pretty (usually) I just dont get the spending all that money on one thing. I'd rather buy a car than put 10k on a wedding. Or down payment for a house. 

but then my wedding had 5 people at it and my mom didn't even come 😛

AceMissBehaving
1 hour ago, Halffull said:

I literally told you

• Like 2
8 hours ago, CBC said:

Lol someone needs to get this thread back on track. It's like a... random chat thread now. My fault as much as anyone else's, but.

(God what is my life. Just woke up and plan to go back to sleep for a while yet, but I "needed" to check AVEN... 😂🔫)

Good idea. 

DONUTS!!!!

1 hour ago, CBC said:

Mine, I guess. Kind of meant as a throwaway comment really, but sometimes it would probably be handy to be asexual.

It’s like straight hair v. curly.  Everyone envies what they haven’t got. ;)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CBC said:

In what ways? (Don't have to answer if you don't wanna.)

Aspects of what I want just.. it's starting to muck with my head and confuse me a bit. The people I'm finding myself attracted to I guess is concerning me a bit because it'll make life veeeery difficult if that's what I end up stuck with Y_Y

6 minutes ago, CBC said:

A small flat in an old house (interestingly, that's exactly what my first place was like), green walls, lots of plants, wooden floors that creaked and a claw-footed bathtub and a record player and walls lined with books and the radio always playing.

That's a beautiful image ❤️

7 minutes ago, CBC said:

Don't-need-anyone-else sort of thing.

Yeah I know what you mean. Things would be a lot simpler and more peaceful that way.. well, it seems that way some days anyway.

I came out of the flu fog to this heavy...and it’s only Tuesday. My counter thought:

yeah, ‘tis fearful. But:

Better to have loved and loss

than to have never loved at all.

• Like 1

Been flat on my back feeling like a truck ran me over and missed all the wanderings in the weeds. 

1. Weddings - never wanted one, had one, enjoyed every second. To have everyone I loved from all corners of the world in one spot for a handful of days will never be reproduced again. It was magical. 

2. The dress - because why not? I felt like a princess. It’s true, once you spot it, you know. I teared up instantly. 

3. I’m still reading the thread. So much.  We need to rename this thread.  

Except here’s a thought en pointe:

I’m sexual, but have zero desire for anything remotely sexual when sicker than a dog. 

My lover has been a doll: taking the kids to and fro, wanting to bring me food and such, looking like a tall drink of water from afar, etc. Yet, I haven’t the slightest desire for sex at the moment. Just no. 

The flu bites!

• Like 1
Just now, CBC said:

random chat thread, SPFA edition?

That could do it - this is so recent, just have Pumpkin Spice rebrand it! 👍🏻

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, CBC said:

there are times I miss that other version.

It does have a certain appealing simplicity.

• Like 1