The Disneyland analogy for mixed relationships

Sinking_In

The Disneyland analogy for mixed relationships, does it work for you?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Dating is like going to Disneyland, "The Happiest Place On Earth!": some just want to walk around, maybe holding hands and feeling romantic, some just want to jump on as many rides as they can, and some go just for the kids. Some will be there for all of those reasons to varying degrees. A mixed allosexual/ asexual relationship is like two people going to Disneyland, where one doesn't need or want to ride any of the rides (asexual), but the other does (allosexual). Too many rides, and one person can get upset, but not enough rides, and the other person can get upset. A mixed relationship means having to compromise on a fair level of shared experiences so both can say they've enjoyed it overall.

• YES, and I'm asexual
    • YES, and I'm allosexual
    • NO, and I'm asexual
    • NO, and I'm allosexual
    • You lost me

Dating is like going to Disneyland, "The Happiest Place On Earth!": some just want to walk around, maybe holding hands and feeling romantic, some just want to jump on as many rides as they can, and some go just for the kids. Some will be there for all of those reasons to varying degrees. A mixed allosexual/ asexual relationship is like two people going to Disneyland, where one doesn't need or want to ride any of the rides (asexual), but the other does (allosexual). Too many rides, and one person can get upset, but not enough rides, and the other person can get upset. A mixed relationship means having to compromise on a fair level of shared experiences so both can say they've enjoyed it overall.

I think I may have formatted this all wrong, but hopefully it serves its purpose well enough.

I think a key part of this has to be the "shared ride" idea since if my bf wanted to go on a ride and I didn't, we'd both be fine with him just going on his own. 

It's also a lot easier to say no/yes to rides because amusement park attractions are hardly as personal or involved as sex. 

20 minutes ago, SithGirl said:

I think a key part of this has to be the "shared ride" idea since if my bf wanted to go on a ride and I didn't, we'd both be fine with him just going on his own. 

It's also a lot easier to say no/yes to rides because amusement park attractions are hardly as personal or involved as sex. 

Mmm. Well, no maybe, but I couldn't say yes to rides. I get so ill. :lol: I would say yes to sex I didn't want any day over that. 

But yeah... no analogy is perfect. 

4 minutes ago, Serran said:

Mmm. Well, no maybe, but I couldn't say yes to rides. I get so ill. :lol: I would say yes to sex I didn't want any day over that. 

But yeah... no analogy is perfect. 

True. 

I think my roller coaster analogy has gone off the rails ;)

Broadly speaking, all relationships involve compromise, the analogy is imperfect but useful.

Going on rides without a companion feels a bit pointless to me. And I can 100% imagine that rides are, in fact, not so fun for someone I care about -- no amount of fantasy on my part is going to make them enjoy it.

But I can't agree that there's going to be some happy medium on sex anymore than one can on carnival rides. The answer might be "no rides together" and maybe "but you can ride with someone else". That part -- where "riding" with someone else -- the desire for it and possibility for that challenging a relationship -- might be a place where this analogy breaks down.

Archived