The abortion scene in the movie "Unplanned"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2PSZFV4aQ

Just how accurate is the gory scene in the beginning medical wise? This is an R-rated movie for a reason; They are not afraid to admit the movie is propaganda and pushing for a cause. It's also made by Pureflix, who made God's Not Dead (we all know how they like to demonize the other side) too though. I want to decide my view of abortion and fully understand the reality of what it is. 

If you want to form an opinion on something I would suggest looking at unbiased articles and papers and not propaganda films.

First of all, the scene in that movie is accurate only in that it is a retelling of the character's experience; it is based on the memoirs of Abby Johnson, who says she saw the fetus "twisting and fighting for its life." However, the fetus was 13 weeks old, which is almost certainly too young to experience what we call pain. Abortion after a certain age becomes more controversial, but 13 weeks is well within the limit. 

Most people who advocate against abortion do so because of the notion that the soul begins at conception. This is a belief that is very personal to each and every person. Whether or not you believe the soul begins at conception is not something to be debated, and views on this cannot be easily swayed. As a Christian myself, I flip-flop on the matter. 

However, the world without abortion is a very grim one indeed. Abortion happens whether it is legal or illegal, and always has, as far back as women had a basic understanding of anatomy and poisons. As long as there have been societal pressures, abortion has been there, no matter how illegal it was. There's actually no better book to highlight this than All for the Love of Mothers: Memoirs of a Catholic Midwife. I read this by the recommendation of a pro-life priest, but it only furthered my understanding that without safe and legal abortion mothers will die. The story is chalk full of the hopelessness of women who became pregnant without a stable life ahead of them; the narrator views this as a sad consequence of having sex. The men would leave and the women would be outcasts. 

It is my philosophy that you should hope for the best but plan for the worst. Community outreach, love, support, etc. are all necessary in reducing the amount of abortions that happen. So is getting rid of abstinence-only sex education-- proper sex ed drastically decreases the rate of abortions. 

For Christians, the hope would be that people never have abortions. But wishing and preaching does not translate to reality: Studies show that abortions will always be around, and the best way to reduce them is not only to have them be legal, but to extend sexual education, reduce the puritanical pressures put out by the church in the first place, and make contraception and medical access free and available to young people without their parents' approval. The Netherlands has one of the lowest rates of abortion in the world thanks to this

I can't tell you what to believe, but I can tell you the facts. It is my belief that if you are very strongly against abortion, you should focus not on making it illegal but on the well-being of single mothers, government outreach programs, good sex ed, universal healthcare, government subsidized childcare, and enriching the lives of children placed up for adoption and in foster care. In a world where abortion is illegal, children will be abandoned or given up for adoption at a much higher rate, and we don't have enough homes for them already. 

I'm more for it's their decision, the child won't miss life if they've never truly lived. It only haunts us with what could have been, that is if it haunts you. I don't believe in the soul at conception thing but it doesn't mean I'm not aware of the value that we place on that life. Still, I want the person who is alive and can actually think for themselves to make the decision.

RoseGoesToYale

I've never personally had an abortion, but the abortion scenes in season 3 ep 2 of 13 Reasons Why seems pretty accurate. Nothing cloak and dagger... the character goes to the clinic, the nurses ask her questions about her sexual history and other health things and makes sure she understands the procedure and the decision she needs to make. There's no pressuring one way or the other, they just give her the facts.

TMI anatomical descriptions:

Spoiler

On the day of her appointment, she goes in, lays down on the bed, and the nurses explain to her how the procedure will go. They don't show anything, just the character's face and you can hear what's going on in the background. From what I can tell, a tube is inserted into the uterus and a suction machine removes any matter on the uterine lining, kind of like a machine-induced period. There's only a little physical discomfort, but no blood everywhere, no screaming, no immense trauma. The character is in some emotional distress, for a number of reasons, but the episode goes through her decision process. All in all the procedure seems even less involved than a vasectomy.

Certain groups have their reasons for making up whatever they want about abortions, so I'd say if you want to know more about how real ones are carried out, look for medical journals or information put out by the AMA, CDC, NIH, NHS, etc.

1 hour ago, Some guy said:

If you want to form an opinion on something I would suggest looking at unbiased articles and papers and not propaganda films.

I was unable to find any. Hence I went to since people here tend to be able to have more solid research (and better formatted opinions) than me.

*holds back from saying d u h*

That video is not accurate.  The woman having the abortion is almost always given a sedative, and knows beforehand what will happen.  Neither doctors nor nurse/assistants assume such patronizing or upset expressions on their faces;  instead, they are calm and supportive.  The fetus is much smaller and less developed than is shown in that video (which looks like a 7-month fetus).  Don't use a propagandaistic video to make up your mind on anything as fraught with emotion as abortion.  

Most abortions happen during the first trimester, a lot of times all the person has to do is take a couple of pills. Something I’ve noticed about pro-life propaganda is that while they claim to care about a microscopic being that was conceived seconds before, most of their emotional appeal propaganda shows more developed fetuses from a stage when most abortions don’t happen anyway.

Also what’s with the doctor saying “Beam me up Scotty”. xD

• 4 weeks later...
Artistofnoname

You know the man in the movie during that seen that played the abortion doctor was actually a former abortionist that left the practice and now speaks against it. His name is Dr Anthony Levatino and he did make sure it was accurate.

I saw the film myself and had read the book many years ago when it first came out. It was an excellent film and I believe it is worth watching regardless of what side of the debate you are on.

Archived