Jarle

Research Request: Perceptions of Infidelity

Jarle

Hi All, 

We received the following from Hailey from Saint Louis University:

My name is Hailey Hatch and I am a PhD student at Saint Louis University (SLU) in St. Louis, MO. I am working with a fellow PhD student at SLU, Lijing Ma, to conduct research on perceptions of infidelity in asexual and/or aromantic communities.

We are currently conducting a study examining the perceptions of infidelity in asexual and/or aromantic folx. We are now seeking individuals who identify on the asexual and/or aromantic spectrums to participate in our study and answer questions about your perceptions of infidelity in relationships. If you are currently in a relationship, you will also be asked to answer questions about your current relationship.

As a token of our appreciation for your help, you will be given the opportunity to enter to win 1 of 2 ($25) Amazon gift cards at the end of the study.

Participation is expected to take approximately 20-30 minutes.

Please follow the link below to be directed to the online survey:

https://slu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cAy2BKxbRtFwYlv

Thank you so much for your time!

Please feel free to share this study with others.

This study has been approved by the Research Approval Board. 

• Like 2

SithGirl

Done. 

• Like 1

Nowhere Girl

"Folx"?!!!

Really, this is horribly colloquial! The letter "x" by itself has nothing to do with gender inclusivity, "asexual people" is just as inclusive! Extremely colloquial words such as "folx" or even "folks" shouldn't be used in research requests.

• Like 1

hatchh
1 hour ago, Nowhere Girl said:

"Folx"?!!!

Really, this is horribly colloquial! The letter "x" by itself has nothing to do with gender inclusivity, "asexual people" is just as inclusive! Extremely colloquial words such as "folx" or even "folks" shouldn't be used in research requests.

Hi!

Thank you for your feedback! As a researcher, I try to be as inclusive as possible. I understand the use of “folx” may be colloquial; however, I’ve altered language throughout my academic career to reflect previous comments on inclusivity. I also try to touch base with LGBTQ+ coordinators in the area I’m from. It may be a US Midwestern term, as that’s where I’m located. I truly do strive to be as inclusive as possible and am very receptive to feedback. 

Best, 

Hailey 

MiffKeks

Did it! Hope it can shed a little light to our knowledge one day!

• Like 1

Philip027

The risks to you as a participant are minimal. Potential risks include boredom and fatigue,

Hahaha, okay, I'm going to do it just based on that

• Like 2

Laurann

Hey @hatchh!

I've just got a question for you, I'm not sure I get what you mean with the question 'How do you think about sexual/romantic relationships'?

That's a bit broad, and I'm not sure what kind of answer you were looking for.

I'm going to wait for your answer before I submit the survey :) 

• Like 1

Nowhere Girl
6 hours ago, hatchh said:

Thank you for your feedback! As a researcher, I try to be as inclusive as possible. I understand the use of “folx” may be colloquial; however, I’ve altered language throughout my academic career to reflect previous comments on inclusivity. I also try to touch base with LGBTQ+ coordinators in the area I’m from. It may be a US Midwestern term, as that’s where I’m located. I truly do strive to be as inclusive as possible and am very receptive to feedback.

But as I wrote, "people" is inclusive by itself.

• Like 1

hatchh
4 hours ago, Laurann said:

Hey @hatchh!

I've just got a question for you, I'm not sure I get what you mean with the question 'How do you think about sexual/romantic relationships'?

That's a bit broad, and I'm not sure what kind of answer you were looking for.

I'm going to wait for your answer before I submit the survey :) 

Hi! Thank you for reaching out for clarification! 

Honestly, it’s however you interpret it — we just want to know what folx perceptions are. There aren’t any right or wrong answers. I hope that helps some! :) 

• Like 1

hatchh
2 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

But as I wrote, "people" is inclusive by itself.

Thank you for your feedback! I take all feedback into consideration for current and future research endeavors. 

• Like 1

Laurann
11 hours ago, hatchh said:

Hi! Thank you for reaching out for clarification! 

Honestly, it’s however you interpret it — we just want to know what folx perceptions are. There aren’t any right or wrong answers. I hope that helps some! :) 

Ehh it doesn't help too much.

The question 'how do you think about romantic relationships' could mean:

• How do you define romantic relationships, as opposed to platonic relationships, or as opposed to sexual relationships?
  • Do you think romantic relationships are a negative or a positive thing in your life, in other people's lives, in society as a whole, or in the media? What parts are negative, and what parts positive?
  • What is the impact amatonormativity has had on your life, or on society etc?
  • What would your ideal romantic relationship look like. Is it monogamous, polyamorous, an open relationship? Is it long distance? What kind of feelings and behaviors does it include? Would you live together or separately? Would it include kids?
  • What's your opinion on the societally accepted standard model of a romantic relationship (which is generally monogamous, includes romantic feelings and sex, as well as marriage and kids), as in, is it restrictive, healthy, universal, dependent on culture, sexist, idealized, out of reach, ordained by God, culturally imposed etc? 
  • Does such a societal model exist in the first place, or should we look at every relationship as completely unique and individual, no stereotypes?
  • Do you attach more importance to having a healthy platonic support network (family, friends) or to having a healthy romantic relationship?
  • What are your lived experiences with past or current romantic relationships?

Of course there aren't any right or wrong answers in a survey, but I don't know what question I'm supposed to answer. And I can't answer all of them, that's a bit much. 'What my perceptions are' and 'however you interpret it' is still too vague and broad.

• Like 1

hatchh
56 minutes ago, Laurann said:

Ehh it doesn't help too much.

The question 'how do you think about romantic relationships' could mean:

• How do you define romantic relationships, as opposed to platonic relationships, or as opposed to sexual relationships?
  • Do you think romantic relationships are a negative or a positive thing in your life, in other people's lives, in society as a whole, or in the media? What parts are negative, and what parts positive?
  • What is the impact amatonormativity has had on your life, or on society etc?
  • What would your ideal romantic relationship look like. Is it monogamous, polyamorous, an open relationship? Is it long distance? What kind of feelings and behaviors does it include? Would you live together or separately? Would it include kids?
  • What's your opinion on the societally accepted standard model of a romantic relationship (which is generally monogamous, includes romantic feelings and sex, as well as marriage and kids), as in, is it restrictive, healthy, universal, dependent on culture, sexist, idealized, out of reach, ordained by God, culturally imposed etc? 
  • Does such a societal model exist in the first place, or should we look at every relationship as completely unique and individual, no stereotypes?
  • Do you attach more importance to having a healthy platonic support network (family, friends) or to having a healthy romantic relationship?
  • What are your lived experiences with past or current romantic relationships?

Of course there aren't any right or wrong answers in a survey, but I don't know what question I'm supposed to answer. And I can't answer all of them, that's a bit much. 'What my perceptions are' and 'however you interpret it' is still too vague and broad.

Hi again! 

I apologize for my lack of clarity. I really appreciate you taking the time to reach out! Out of the options you presented, the first bullet most closely represents what we’re asking with the question (How do you define romantic relationships as opposed to other types of relationships). 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

• Like 2

Acing It

Done! ('folx' ... what's that all about? hahah... those weird Americans)

• Like 1

hatchh

Hi everyone -- I just wanted to mention that we're doing a last call for data collection. Data collection will end a week from today (10/13 at 5pm US CST). 

Thank you so much to everyone who has participated this far -- we are extremely grateful for all of the responses and feedback!

• Like 3

GlamRocker

I'm really interested in how this turns out. I took this and I think it asks some really good questions. I just hope I didn't make mistakes doing mine! I usually like to recheck my work before I submit to prevent this, but this test doesn't work that way. Maybe I made some stupid mistakes! Or failed to explain something I should have!

This test also made me think about my views on infidelity, something I haven't really "fleshed out" in my mind. I'm worried my views are naive because of how trivial sex is to me, since it doesn't make me feel anything special. I'm not sure if many sexual people are like that.