Opinion?

foodandpizza1

Straight Pride   

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is straight pride offensive to the LGTBQ+ group?

• YES! They don't understand the crap others go through.
    • No, they should be proud of who they are as well as us.
    • Yes/No, If they want, I don't care
    • I just want to chose this choice just because..... CAKE! :)
    • If they aren't mocking LGTBQ+ pride, then sure.
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

How do you feel on Straight Pride? (This isn't intended to cause any arguments or drama)  

If you want me to add another option, feel free to let me know. 

It’s the equivalent to white pride. Supremacy is not attractive.

Straight people struggle to try to understand and disprove us. :) Why not give them a chance to be proud?

Smash Mouth said it best... 

(there's an F word under the spoiler)

233.jpg

Everything I've ever seen about straight pride has just been people saying "WhAt AbOuT mE?!" - I don't believe anyone genuinely wants it (no one actually seem interested in organising one when challenged), they just pipe up about it to be edgy/"funny"/annoying.

It's like every year on International Women's Day when people pipe up and say "WHEN IS INTERNATIONAL MAN DAY LOL!" (there is one - if you actually cared, you'd know) or during Black History Month when dweebs ask when White History Month is (it's all the time).

On social media at least, the people who go on about this stuff all seem to be a certain kind of person. I don't think it's worth being offended by it, because it's what they want. I think it's best ignored.

Moved from Asexual Musings and Rantings to Census

Ben8884 Moderator for Asexual Musings and Rantings

It is just dismissive of real struggles people face and a denial of their equality done by people seeking a victim complex because they feel like their unhappy lives are the result of the world being against them.

Imagine the world where straight people are minority… Would you deny them to be proud? 

1 hour ago, Kyon. said:

when White History Month is (it's all the time).

Honestly though... the way schools teach history pre-highschool, you'd think that all of history was white.

1 hour ago, uniQChick said:

Imagine the world where straight people are minority… Would you deny them to be proud? 

But they're not. Not by a long shot.

"Pride" in one's sexuality doesn't make sense to me, no matter which way. Pride requires an accomplishment.

If straight people cannot comprehend what I go through, I can’t deny them to be proud of themselves. If you deny that, you just show your anger and hatred. We accepting when straight people attend LGBTQ+ Pride Parade, so why not demonstrate love for them and join them when they are proud? Proud of being different!

Love rules the world! :)

1 hour ago, uniQChick said:

No. 

I don't think any of these options fit my opinion. The way straight pride is currently used tends to be a sort of angry backlash at LGBTQ+ pride and I don't think that's okay. But I understand why the backlash is there, people go around hearing how awful and judgmental their dynamic is (which they didn't choose) and they don't want to feel bad about themselves. The problem comes in when they blame a different group for "displacing" them or making them feel invalid or evil. People are really similar that way.

53 minutes ago, A. Sterling said:

No. 

I don't think any of these options fit my opinion. The way straight pride is currently used tends to be a sort of angry backlash at LGBTQ+ pride and I don't think that's okay. But I understand why the backlash is there, people go around hearing how awful and judgmental their dynamic is (which they didn't choose) and they don't want to feel bad about themselves. The problem comes in when they blame a different group for "displacing" them or making them feel invalid or evil. People are really similar that way.

Do you want me to add another options? I don't mind! 

2 hours ago, CBC said:

Lol yes of course it's offensive. "Straight Pride" has nothing to to with just everyone being happy and comfortable with themselves; obviously we all deserve to feel that way. Straight Pride is about making a statement borne of homophobia.

100% agree!

2 hours ago, uniQChick said:

But that is not reality.

3 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

Supremacy is not attractive.

I LOVE THAT! (P.S your profile pic is too cute)

30 minutes ago, foodandpizza1 said:

Do you want me to add another options? I don't mind! 

Sure, then I'd feel I could answer more honestly. 

1 hour ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

But that is not reality.

For some God is not a reality! Our actions should not be based just on reality, we should see farther.

15 minutes ago, uniQChick said:

For some God is not a reality! Our actions should not be based just on reality, we should see farther.

....... um. I don’t think you’re on the same plane of reality either.

nutterwithasolderingiron

so i voted yes, it's offensive but the problem is i dont think the straight pride movement really understand why it's offensive. 

so it's offensive because for the last 200+ years, being LGBT+ was a stigma, hell, until the 60's in america, being gay was considered a mental disorder akin to schizophrenia (holy shit, that's the first time i've ever spelled that word right) and practicing homosexuality was a crime you could be arrested for. even to this day, many LGBT+ folk still struggle with discrimination. i was bullied into leaving 2 jobs for my sexuality, my step dad used to talk with a proud look on his face about how when he was in the army, they bullied a gay person in their squad into killing himself. in the modern sense, while i hate how commercial pride has become, i seen pride in the modern age as a way of saying to people "it's ok to be LGBT+ and thing's are getting better" 

where as straight pride tends to ignore all this in favor of "well what about us?" when in many ways, being straight is still considered to be the norm and the same people who advocate for straight pride are basically the same people who bully LGBT+ people out of their jobs, family and even out of existence. 

1 hour ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

....... um. I don’t think you’re on the same plane of reality either.

Plane I am on is my plane, and you have a seat reserved on it! :P

Twisted Tempest

Quite frankly, as long as they aren't a tosser about it, I don't see any reason why I should care. 

Don't see a problem, what's good for one should be good for all 

The people in favor of straight pride are either dismissive about what LGBT+ Pride is for, or are assholes who are against anything not-straight. So yes, I'm against straight pride, because it's never about just being happy in your own skin. It's being upset that you're not longer the only sexuality being taught in schools and shown on TV, so you cry out oppression without knowing what real oppression is. 

• 2 weeks later...

The reason we need an LGBT+ pride is to address discrimination. It's telling others and ourselves that LGBT+ are okay people, and seriously, we do need that message because some still don't seem to believe it and it has awful consequences.

Straight people face no oppression because of their orientation. So why do they want a pride, except for competing with LGBT+ pride? Are they jealous or what? 

They don't need to tell the world that their orientation is not a bad thing. It's always been assumed that it was the only good orientation in the past - which is why we need Pride to prove otherwise. 

So why does straight pride exist? 

If you think about it, it can't be just about genuine self-love and empowerment of all orientations and identities. If so, there would just be one great Everyone Is Cool Pride. <_<

That said, it's none of my business. 

• 1 year later...

@foodandpizza1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived